Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
6 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
14 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
3 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #341
Banned

May 2010
Send a message via AIM to Ite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Each story was handled by a different team of animators with different standards and equipment, so some of what your seeing could be the result of different film stocks or cameras. Just like with live action, not all animated film is created equal.

I remember many of Den's backgrounds and special effects were made by optically printing different film elements together, which tends to degrade film quality all on its own. Den might just have a lot more optical effects than the other stories, or maybe the quality of the optical printing just wasn't as good.
Good point.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #342

Jan 2012
Virginia, USA

pretty stoked about this title being 9.99 and using my Upgrade and Save on this from something from my childhood. I was hoping for good crisp upgrade, but maybe that's just for regular film not animation. It still looks grainy and just off to me. I would have thought a best buy exclusive would be a bit better than this maybe lacking on extras, but it still looks like a VHS.

Maybe I'm asking for too much or maybe the film stock hasn't aged well, but this release was a let down.

I didn't read this whole thread, but does anyone else agree. I would love a new transfer
Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #343
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

I'm very happy with the blu of HM; it looks as good as I've ever seen it, and I've seen it plenty, LOL. I've owned every version that's been released domestically, a few imports, and I saw it at least half a dozen times during it's original theatrical run. I was 17 when it came out, and I'd been reading the HM mag for a few years at that point.

I'm betting that this is the best that it can look. And, also, it looks like it was meant to look. Dirty, grungy, and unclean. Completely the opposite of Disney animation, other than the attention to detail.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #344

Jan 2012
Virginia, USA

fair enough. I was never a huge fan of the magazine, but I would pick up a copy every so often and I used to watch a taped version of HM on a vhs tape I had as a kid. To be honest it felt like I was watching that. I'm not super disappointed but I thought it could have been better. I am glad that I finally own the film again.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #345
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilutionary View Post
pretty stoked about this title being 9.99 and using my Upgrade and Save on this from something from my childhood. I was hoping for good crisp upgrade, but maybe that's just for regular film not animation. It still looks grainy and just off to me. I would have thought a best buy exclusive would be a bit better than this maybe lacking on extras, but it still looks like a VHS.

Maybe I'm asking for too much or maybe the film stock hasn't aged well, but this release was a let down.

I didn't read this whole thread, but does anyone else agree. I would love a new transfer
Quote:
Heavy Metal is an ugly film, and Sony's 1080p, 1.85:1-framed transfer preservers the film's natural state. There's some evident wobble, sloppy colors, questionable detail, errant noise, and spots and speckles aplenty, but such is Heavy Metal; the film would lose much of its appeal were it cleaned up and polished, and such a transfer would have been a disservice to the end product. For as visually unappealing as the film may be at times, Sony's transfer is a step up from standard definition, even if the improvement is occasionally only negligible. Clarity is certainly given a boost, and the image will retain its definition and detailing when blown up for large displays. Colors are raw and runny but stable within the confines of the source. Detail is fine; the transfer reveals all there is to see with as much clarity as the film is ever likely to display. The image is flat and soft here and there, again issues inherent to the source, it seems, and not Sony's transfer. Noise is evident too, heavy enough in some paces to the point that it becomes a distraction. All in all, though, this is a good-looking transfer of a movie that's not so pretty. To say much negative about Sony's handiwork here would be unfair, and the innate sloppiness only gives the movie much of its natural charm.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Heavy-.../17917/#Review
Old 02-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #346

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post
Each story was handled by a different team of animators with different standards and equipment, so some of what your seeing could be the result of different film stocks or cameras. Just like with live action, not all animated film is created equal.

I remember many of Den's backgrounds and special effects were made by optically printing different film elements together, which tends to degrade film quality all on its own. Den might just have a lot more optical effects than the other stories, or maybe the quality of the optical printing just wasn't as good.
The DEN production, in particular, was hampered by the studio-mandated change from a Christmas release to Summer. The film was produced independently with the goal of a Christmas '81 release, and then bought by Columbia who had a hole in their Summer '81 schedule and wanted it there. So, the production lost 3-4 crucial months of production and some of that can be seen in DEN, which isn't as "finished" as was originally intended.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #347
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

I finally got this on Blu-Ray and OMg, it's so much better than the old DVD (VHS as well).
I've watched this film so many times.

One thing i noticed right away was the way that the Orb looked.
It was straight Green before, but now you can see different sections of Green in it.

I unfortunately, have not gotten past Den, just way too busy, i probably will tomorrow.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America