Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$36.18
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.39
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
Split 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The LEGO Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Logan Lucky 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.06
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.72
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #3761
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Were there changes to Secondary Audio and/or DVD-Audio Mode (under Audio Output Setup) since firmware 33-1229? I thought these features were "baked"--stick a fork in them, they're done.

Just noticed tonight upon attempting to do the In-Movie Experience of Batman Begins (in prep for selling the disc, in case that feature is not included on the imminent UHD BD) that Secondary is grayed out/not changeable on that fw build. Always had SA turned off to insure I'm getting highest audio fidelity but need to turn it on in order to do an IME . . .

Can't have a disc in there on pause.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; Yesterday at 05:38 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #3762

Jan 2010
Seattle

Yeah i don't think there has ever been an oppo sale. Its such a niche product, with a loyal following, they don't need to do sales, and it would only hurt their brands reputation. Plus the only times people would buy em would be during a sale if they did start sale pricing. I sure as hell would never buy one at retail again if they did even just a yearly sale.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Family Room: LG 65 C7 OLED | OPPO 203 | DENON X3300W | Klipsch RP 5.2.2 setup | Roku 4k |

Bedroom: Samsung 55D8000 | OPPO 93 | Samsung HW H550 Bar | Roku 2 |
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #3763

Mar 2010

I guess I'll have to wait and see then. It's a nice player but twice what the LG goes for. If the LG wasn't having noise problems I'd go for it sooner.

There are a couple of others waiting for DV firmware like the Sony and the Philips so they might be an option if they are ready by the time I'm ready to buy.

Most of these players seem to be having problems. I guess that's what you get when you're an early adopter.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #3764
Power Member

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
Just wanted to report back and I did what you said JohnAV. I downloaded the firmware and installed it by USB, reset player back to factory specs and erased persistent storage. Then I put the settings I use for the player and have watched two 4k movies and a couple of Blu Ray's. So far not freezing up or not recognize 3d and is back to being flawless. So it must have been a bad firmware d/l, thanks for your time and help with my player.
I'm experiencing some freezing on blu-ray discs since the new firmware, and I installed mine initially from USB. I just reinstalled it and reset to factory settings, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm hoping it does the trick, but I was wondering about erasing persistent storage, as I'm not sure what that is.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #3765
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: September 25, 2017
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-51-0922
Loader Version: TF0035
MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-203/205 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Special Notice:

1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
2. For players with firmware version 42-0329 or earlier, please install the UDP20X-45-0605 firmware first. You will then be able to upgrade from version 45-0605 to the latest version, 51-0922.

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-50-0913, the major changes included in this version are:
  • Minor update for improved Dolby Vision compatibility.
  • General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (Today), RageATL (Today), Rockercub (Today), tezster (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #3766
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockercub View Post
I'm experiencing some freezing on blu-ray discs since the new firmware, and I installed mine initially from USB. I just reinstalled it and reset to factory settings, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm hoping it does the trick, but I was wondering about erasing persistent storage, as I'm not sure what that is.
That's likely the same issue, updated from 817b to 0913 didn't get the correct loader, yes a USB install would fix that.

But now that's old as there already a new version of FW.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (Today), Rockercub (Today)
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #3767

Sep 2008

Do you guys have your player’s audio output on LPCM or bitstream. I’ve started noticing that theres quite A LOT of difference in the audio volume between LPCM and Bitstream. I recently tested this when viewing Deep Water Horizon UHD and Oblivion Bluray.
Sony 75X8500c | Anthony Gallos Reference 3.5 | Reference Strada Center | A'Diva Ti | Anthem MRX-720 | Anthem MCA 30 | Anthony Gallo S.A Amp | Oppo BDP-203 | 2 x PSA XS30se | PS4 | XboxOne
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #3768
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Do you guys have your player’s audio output on LPCM or bitstream. I’ve started noticing that theres quite A LOT of difference in the audio volume between LPCM and Bitstream. I recently tested this when viewing Deep Water Horizon UHD and Oblivion Bluray.
Bitstream with no secondary audio. It's the only way to get Dolby Atmos and DTS: X audio to an external decoder.
Old Today, 04:10 AM   #3769

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Bitstream with no secondary audio. It's the only way to get Dolby Atmos and DTS: X audio to an external decoder.
Would you go that way even if you don't have an ATMOS setup?
Sony 75X8500c | Anthony Gallos Reference 3.5 | Reference Strada Center | A'Diva Ti | Anthem MRX-720 | Anthem MCA 30 | Anthony Gallo S.A Amp | Oppo BDP-203 | 2 x PSA XS30se | PS4 | XboxOne
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #3770
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Would you go that way even if you don't have an ATMOS setup?
If you have a way to decode any lossless audio format externally, use bitstream.
Old Today, 04:26 AM   #3771

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
If you have a way to decode any lossless audio format externally, use bitstream.
Ok. i guess I was trying to understand if the 'better' option was to use the Oppo or the receiver (say a 4k capable receiver etc).

Thanks.
Old Today, 05:09 AM   #3772
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Usually the receiver to do the decoding.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.
Old Today, 05:18 AM   #3773
Special Member

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post
There are a couple of others waiting for DV firmware like the Sony ...
Have to de-bunk this rumor, Again. Sony announced at CEDIA a few weeks ago the X800 will NOT be getting a DV update. Pass it around, this rumor won't die...

Last edited by gkolb; Today at 05:24 AM.
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #3774
Special Member

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Latest Official Release Version

Release date: September 25, 2017
Category: Latest Official Release

Release Notes: ...
  • Minor update for improved Dolby Vision compatibility.
  • General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.
JohnAV, any idea if the DV update had anything to do with grey borders (aka bars) on the current DV displays ???
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #3775
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
JohnAV, any idea if the DV update had anything to do with grey borders (aka bars) on the current DV displays ???
Don't know, but I am sure you can guess which title needed a update.
Old Today, 05:52 AM   #3776
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Firmware broke 4x3 material - now being sent stretched to 16x9

Did the whole reset factory reset thing, only way to get it is to set output to "native" and that ruins using it for scaling.
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #3777
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Firmware broke 4x3 material - now being sent stretched to 16x9

Did the whole reset factory reset thing, only way to get it is to set output to "native" and that ruins using it for scaling.
Is that against MKV files from DVD sources? Or media?
Old Today, 06:50 AM   #3778

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Usually the receiver to do the decoding.
Thanks.
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #3779
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Is that against MKV files from DVD sources? Or media?
MP4 files from the network.
Resolution 720x480
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #3780
Power Member

May 2016

Quote:
Ok. i guess I was trying to understand if the 'better' option was to use the Oppo or the receiver (say a 4k capable receiver etc).

Thanks.
It's often been argued by "experts" that there's absolutely no sonic differences between letting a player/source component do the decoding duties (in other words, setting the player to output LPCM for all formats) and allowing an A/V receiver or processor to do it (the player would then be set to BITSTREAM), but my ears over the years have told me differently; I always run a system with my receiver doing the audio decoding of bitstreamed signals sent down the HDMI path (or, in the days of DVD, sending bitstreamed signals down a coaxial or optical digital path).

This is something Bob alluded to before me...
5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Pre-Installed In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700

2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120 PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology