COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (Blu-ray)
$16.09
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fantasista Doll: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #341
Special Member

Mar 2010

I have had no luck at all finding this and it's getting frustrating

Is there no other option in the price range for us?
Join the adventure on Twitter
@jimjimmyjones
Old 06-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #342
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post

Some older Panasonic models play Region B Blu-rays with a few caveats.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #343

May 2010
Canada

Unfortunately your only other alternative is the Insignia model players.
Most of the players I have seen online from stores that are region free, go for between 200 to 300 dollars. It is crazy but there is a store chain up here that
carries the Seiki's and no one is going near them, because they do not know they can be made region free. Right now I have three of them!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #344

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
Unfortunately your only other alternative is the Insignia model players.
Most of the players I have seen online from stores that are region free, go for between 200 to 300 dollars. It is crazy but there is a store chain up here that
carries the Seiki's and no one is going near them, because they do not know they can be made region free. Right now I have three of them!
The Seiki's that you speak of: would they happen to be the BD660 models?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #345

May 2010
Canada

No Unfortunately not, I do own two of those, but they were replaced by the Seiki SR212S, and I purchased one of these. It is a good little machine that is region free, but I feel the 660 is the better player.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #346

Sep 2012

Quote:

This Seiki shows up on ebay ( one used went for only $15 a few weeks ago) and also Amazon at times. I sold one of my extras on Amazon last year, and I noticed others had been listed since for around $50 or so.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #347
Special Member

Mar 2010

I am wary ... I bought my Insignia used and it turned on great but would never play a disc
Join the adventure on Twitter
@jimjimmyjones
Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #348

Sep 2012

Quote:
I am wary ... I bought my Insignia used and it turned on great but would never play a disc
I have not had an issue with the Seiki in over a year, and I have two of them I use.

Insignia I would be more wary of, plus I have heard the PQ isn't that great. Seiki PQ is quite good. Much better than the region free player I was using before.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #349

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I was buying some new Blu-Ray's at Future Shop this weekend and spotted XS Cargo across the street, so I decided to go in and have a browse. If I had known XS' reputation before though, I probably wouldn't have stepped in there. Anyhow, I found one of these Seiki players listed as "Refurbished" for $44, but it rung up was $37. Got it home and set it up, and.... no picture. There was a faint power light on the unit, but no picture showed up on my TV at all. So, I brought it back and exchanged it for the other one they had in stock. Brought this one home and it starts up perfectly.... but no remote! Since the defective unit had a remote, I called and asked if they would give me that remote, which they did. So after three visits, I now have a working region free Blu-Ray player. I would like to eventually invest in something better, but I figured this would be a way to get my toes wet first and see if I really do want to go region-free. I've got a copy of "Wild at Heart" (UK Region B) on order from Amazon ($13 shipped!), so I'll give that a try first. I watched two new BD's on it already - "August: Osage County" and "The Swimmer"... both looked fantastic. The unit is also much quieter than the old Samsung I was using on this setup. The remote does kind of suck, but it's no worse than the one on my Philips region-free dvd player.

I think I will just run this thing into the ground first and if it stops working, then I'll upgrade. I probably wouldn't buy anything "refurbished" at XS Cargo again - it's way too much of a crapshoot, and they have a "no refund" policy. I highly doubt any of the units are refurbished... just returns, and some probably work while others don't.

Last edited by murphywmm; 07-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #350

May 2010
Canada

Funny i had the exact opposite experience, mine worked first time out, came with all the accessories in the box, and has worked perfectly.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #351

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

Mine seems to be working well so far. I did have it lock up once after I stopped a movie and had to unplug it. But other than that, I'm satisfied so far. I also find that the up conversion on DVD's is much better than on my PS3.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #352

Oct 2013
Default Beware

I bought 2 and both have crapped out. Now they don't play ANY DVDs ("No Disc" error) and ONLY Region A blu-ray ("Unknown Disc" for Region B), despite being hacked to play all region DVDs and Region B blu-rays. This is after very little use (purchased in 2011), being designated for only R2 and RB discs. I tried reinstalling latest firmware and the results were the same. Probably a laser problem. POS, imo. So now I have 2 Region A blu-ray only players. Junk.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #353

Jan 2008
New Orleans, LA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
Funny i had the exact opposite experience, mine worked first time out, came with all the accessories in the box, and has worked perfectly.
I have had two of this Seiki model-- one for me and one for a gift. And my friend Al has one as well. We both have had nothing but good experiences all around.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 AM   #354

May 2010
Canada

I have experience with both of the models of these players. I own two BD-660's and one sr-212S. All three machines have worked remarkably well, and they are a no brainer for the price, I do believe the 660 model is superior to the SR-212S, larger case better build quality, I have been using the 660's for over two years without issue. Prior to that I owned an insignia
region free player, it was a piece of junk, however many users on this site love it so go figure? Unfortunately there are few options these days to find a
player like the seiki that does not cost an arm and a leg.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #355
Contributor

Oct 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

Bought my 212S player in early March. Have since given it a decent amount of use. Today I used it almost all day (8-9 hours) and it opted to freeze up. Noticed that one side wasn't getting proper ventilation. Unplugged and plugged back in and had a faint power light come on but its not really getting enough power. Put in on my central air cooling vent for about a half hour. Plugged it in again and the power light came on properly, but couldn't get the TV to recognize it and the tray wouldn't even open. Soooo it might be toast already, but I'm going to keep trying.

EDIT:
Bought a new player today at XS (last one left, beat up box in the back..). Player works a-okay, but was missing the remote. The remote from the older unit works better with the newer one haha, guess the sensor on the old unit was off a bit.
2051 DVDs,
1296 Blu-rays,
166 HD DVDs,
38 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007

Last edited by Rhylliam; 07-22-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #356

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I've been using my Seiki player on a regular basis and I've only had it freeze up once after I stopped a DVD. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine after that. I've played two Region B discs ("Wild at Heart" and "Lost Highway") and it played both perfectly. I'm happy with it so far, and I'll be even happier if it keeps working for me!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #357

Dec 2009

My only regret was I didnt get two of these when I had the chance. The one I got is still working .. the sound you are hearing are my knuckles rapping on pine.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #358
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akubrick1 View Post
My only regret was I didnt get two of these when I had the chance. The one I got is still working .. the sound you are hearing are my knuckles rapping on pine.
Mine still does its job very well. I only use it for region "B" titles as I have other players for everyday use .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders