Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Split (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 06-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
Special Member

Jan 2006
Default Logitech Universal Remotes

Anyone here got the Logitech Harmony 1000 Universal Remote (the one that is much more touchscreen than it has "hard buttons")? It retails for about $500, but you can get much cheaper ($300 - $350) out of Amazon.com and other reputable websites.
Let me know what you think,
Jodi
Old 06-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

I have the 880 and it's a great product, originally made by Harmony. I'm not a big fan of Logitech but this product line is great. Can't comment on the 1000 model though.

B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 AM   #3

Nov 2006
Toronto

I'm waiting for the Bluetooth support from one of these, or someone to bring out a radio/Bluetooth bridge (I really, really love not needing line of sight).

Gary
Old 06-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #4

May 2007

I got an 8XX one, which imo is the most beautiful one with colour display and dock.

It takes so little time to set up, it just works, its freakin lovely to have those activity workflows - 1 button, unlimited devices.

I just hate the ps3 for not havin IR port ):
Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #5

May 2007

I just got the Harmony 1000 for $330 shipped from onecall.com, it is a great all in one remote and it was really easy to set everything up.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
Anyone here got the Logitech Harmony 1000 Universal Remote (the one that is much more touchscreen than it has "hard buttons")? It retails for about $500, but you can get much cheaper ($300 - $350) out of Amazon.com and other reputable websites.
Let me know what you think,
Jodi
I like the one button setup stuff of the 8xx series, the recharging station, ease of use but beware of a few issues.

1. I really don't like the whole internet requirement to configure and customize it. They should allow you to download your devices locally.

2. Some of their default choices for the most common buttons on a device - are buried on page 8 of 13 instead of being on page 1. Some odd choices IMO.

3. I'd say that 2 out of 10 times I have to select my activity twice as some device doesn't kick-in/switch over properly. You can tweak the timings etc, but I just do it twice..because I can't be bothered plugging the remote into my computer, connecting to a login screen, and tweaking it to get it right.

4. It's a bit fragile if you have kids..the left directional button broke within a month which was a PITA since that is what you use to scroll backwards. It has to be babied relative to other remotes since it is more hard of a hard plastic and less rubberized than other remotes I've used.

5. Volume control is disabled in certain modes .. which makes NO sense at all. It should always work since it is a dedicated button.

Next time around I'll probably look for something else that has pre-configured setups but doesn't have some of it's flaws. May not find anything but I'll look.
PS3 - Jack of all trades, master of most.

I will not lower my standards to raise yours.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #7

Dec 2006

I had a Harmony 550 for a couple of years and upgraded to the 1000i a couple of weeks ago, as did a colleague of mine. It is awesome. I can't praise it highly enough. Minor issue is that it can't control the PS3 because it's Bluetooth, but I understand there is a USB device and infrared remote that can be installed on the PS3. This will be able to be 'learned' by the Harmony. That will make this remote the ultimate solution. Buy it. You won't regret it.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #8

Mar 2007
Ayase-Shi, Japan

I've been using a the sony RM-AX4000 for a long while. I like it. There are several other brands to choose from for a touch screen control, you just have to look and search using the right keywords.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #9

Feb 2007
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
I'm waiting for the Bluetooth support from one of these, or someone to bring out a radio/Bluetooth bridge (I really, really love not needing line of sight).

Gary
I thought heard something about apple putting one out sometime this year.
52" Sony Bravia XBR4
26" Sony Bravia 1080I
Ps3 60 GIG
90 - BD's
Ps3 games - 4
Old 06-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2006
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3andlovinit View Post
I like the one button setup stuff of the 8xx series, the recharging station, ease of use but beware of a few issues.

1. I really don't like the whole internet requirement to configure and customize it. They should allow you to download your devices locally.

2. Some of their default choices for the most common buttons on a device - are buried on page 8 of 13 instead of being on page 1. Some odd choices IMO.

3. I'd say that 2 out of 10 times I have to select my activity twice as some device doesn't kick-in/switch over properly. You can tweak the timings etc, but I just do it twice..because I can't be bothered plugging the remote into my computer, connecting to a login screen, and tweaking it to get it right.

4. It's a bit fragile if you have kids..the left directional button broke within a month which was a PITA since that is what you use to scroll backwards. It has to be babied relative to other remotes since it is more hard of a hard plastic and less rubberized than other remotes I've used.

5. Volume control is disabled in certain modes .. which makes NO sense at all. It should always work since it is a dedicated button.

Next time around I'll probably look for something else that has pre-configured setups but doesn't have some of it's flaws. May not find anything but I'll look.
Lucky for me, I don't have kids. I am happily single, and my only goal in life is to get that Master's degree in Occupational Therapy.

Jodi
Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for your takes on the Logitech Harmony 1000 universal remote. It sounds like it will be the best answer for someone like myself who currently has three devices (hence, three remotes) to control.
The ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) guy who calibrated my Sony BRAVIA KDL-V32XBR2 a few weeks ago (who I called earlier today) was.....guess what......fiddling around with a Loggy 1000 (he sells the Loggy line as part of his private business). He says he likes them very well. He told me they can be set up (on it's docking port) at about a 50 degree angle -- perfect for a side table "toy" for me.
I did pick up a PS3 yesterday....YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Please officially welcome me to the Blu camp. Anyway, I'm not too concerned about not being able to control the PS3 with any remote, as I will be mainly gaming with my PS3.
I will be eyeing the upcoming Sony BDP-s300 Blu-Ray player. Hmmm...fourth device to control.
Will probably be ordering the Loggy 1000 from Amazon.com soon.

Thanks again!
Jodi
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion