COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Thomas & Friends: Tale of the Brave - The Movie (Blu-ray)
$18.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$30.78

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 09-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #1161
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

It's called a distribution amplifier. You can google it and find them. You'll just have to find what you need. Also you could just get a 2-ch amp for ur main fronts and power the B speakers off the Sony.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 AM   #1162

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
It's real bummer that you can't use Zone 2 over digital input.

Your Dac can have multiple digital input , you change digital input on the Dac in that case. As long as you have multiple digital outs on each device to connect directly to the receiver as well.

Wish I could see your number of outs and in on each devices. One thing for sure is set to 4 ohms you should have no problems regardless if you have 4 and 8 ohms speakers connected. If Sony says it should work no problem then I don'Mt think it is. My HK254 had the 2 fronts at 4 ohms and the center at 8 ohms, it's a non issue as I said Totems do not have bid impedance dip. If you had Digms Studio for instance I would say it's wishful thinking as even at 8 ohms nominal they drop as low as 3.2 ohms.

There has to be a way
Thanks, Al. Got an email from FedEx - they come tomorrow so I'll know then. Running at 4 ohms, there'l be a difference in volume between the Totems and the Advents. But I'm excited to hear those Dreamcatchers. I bought them cold based on forums and reviews. If I like I may get another pair to complete the set. Of course the home theater store I visited had a pair of Martin Logan montis Electrostatics on closeout. Wow!!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #1163
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDoubt View Post
Thanks, Al. Got an email from FedEx - they come tomorrow so I'll know then. Running at 4 ohms, there'l be a difference in volume between the Totems and the Advents. But I'm excited to hear those Dreamcatchers. I bought them cold based on forums and reviews. If I like I may get another pair to complete the set. Of course the home theater store I visited had a pair of Martin Logan montis Electrostatics on closeout. Wow!!
Well the Totem Dreamcatchers will not get you high SPL, they are all finesse and will get to decent volumes levels, One thing tho is they absolutely sound magical. You'll be surprised by the bass that comes out of them from such small driver and cabinet but of course Physics being Physics there is so much juice you can squeeze out of a lemon the Dreamcatcher may lack air displacement in a large room.

I may sound like a Totem Fan boy but truly I know them well since the company is base in my hometown in Montreal. I got to know totem very well and I had the chance to chat with the Owner and Chief Designer of Totem Acoustic. I also chatted a lot with his son Nico who works there.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 09-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #1164

Sep 2014

Quote:
Well the Totem Dreamcatchers will not get you high SPL, they are all finesse and will get to decent volumes levels, One thing tho is they absolutely sound magical. You'll be surprised by the bass that comes out of them from such small driver and cabinet but of course Physics being Physics there is so much juice you can squeeze out of a lemon the Dreamcatcher may lack air displacement in a large room.

I may sound like a Totem Fan boy but truly I know them well since the company is base in my hometown in Montreal. I got to know totem very well and I had the chance to chat with the Owner and Chief Designer of Totem Acoustic. I also chatted a lot with his son Nico who works there.
I talked to Nico when I called. I had no idea he was the owner's son. I asked the owner of the home theater store if he carried Totem and he said he didn't deal with small independents because they didn't make their own parts so their equipment was hard to repair (it could be difficult to get replacement parts). He only sells the big boys, he won't even take trades. Nothing worse than an audio snob for the wrong reasons.
Hope my stands get here first!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #1165

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
I talked to Nico when I called. I had no idea he was the owner's son. I asked the owner of the home theater store if he carried Totem and he said he didn't deal with small independents because they didn't make their own parts so their equipment was hard to repair (it could be difficult to get replacement parts). He only sells the big boys, he won't even take trades. Nothing worse than an audio snob for the wrong reasons.
Hope my stands get here first!
The owner of your local HT store is an ASS if he thinks Totem is a small independent.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Jolida - McIntosh - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Thanks given by:
PeterDoubt (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #1166

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
The owner of your local HT store is an ASS if he thinks Totem is a small independent.
Agreed. I won't be returning.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #1167

Sep 2014

Quote:
It's real bummer that you can't use Zone 2 over digital input.

Your Dac can have multiple digital input , you change digital input on the Dac in that case. As long as you have multiple digital outs on each device to connect directly to the receiver as well.

Wish I could see your number of outs and in on each devices. One thing for sure is set to 4 ohms you should have no problems regardless if you have 4 and 8 ohms speakers connected. If Sony says it should work no problem then I don'Mt think it is. My HK254 had the 2 fronts at 4 ohms and the center at 8 ohms, it's a non issue as I said Totems do not have bid impedance dip. If you had Digms Studio for instance I would say it's wishful thinking as even at 8 ohms nominal they drop as low as 3.2 ohms.

There has to be a way
Got the Dreamcatchers a couple of hours ago. Set the amp at 4 ohms (BTW, the center is 8 ohms) and did a perfunctory auto setup with Sony's version of Audessy and they sound great. Now to tweak, run them for a while with the 'B' speakers and check for heat, and then enjoy.
I just got turned on to a great auditioning cd - Natalie Merchant's "Leave Your Sleep". In particular the song "Peppery Man". Highly rec'd.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. I hope to figure out the digital on zone 2, too, but I can use A and B till it tells me I can't.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 AM   #1168
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Got the Dreamcatchers a couple of hours ago. Set the amp at 4 ohms (BTW, the center is 8 ohms) and did a perfunctory auto setup with Sony's version of Audessy and they sound great. Now to tweak, run them for a while with the 'B' speakers and check for heat, and then enjoy.
I just got turned on to a great auditioning cd - Natalie Merchant's "Leave Your Sleep". In particular the song "Peppery Man". Highly rec'd.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. I hope to figure out the digital on zone 2, too, but I can use A and B till it tells me I can't.
Keep us posted ad let us know what you think at first glance.

I am glad you got to talk to Nico, he's a great kid and he always gave me great recommedations.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds

Old 09-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #1169
Contributor

Apr 2009

Vince vision of Totem:

Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Old 09-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #1170

Sep 2014

I like his business philosophy - and I like the speakers. It's been just over a week and we've been enjoying them immensely, particularly for music. I'm seriously considering trying to find a matching pair for DVD Audio and SACD. My amp is at 4 ohms and is handling things fine. I have to admit that part of me wants to try setting at 8 to see what happens. Great sound field for such small speakers. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #1171
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
I like his business philosophy - and I like the speakers. It's been just over a week and we've been enjoying them immensely, particularly for music. I'm seriously considering trying to find a matching pair for DVD Audio and SACD. My amp is at 4 ohms and is handling things fine. I have to admit that part of me wants to try setting at 8 to see what happens. Great sound field for such small speakers. Thanks.
There 4 ohm speakers, so you should leave your avr set at 4 ohms, is it getting excessively hot or something, why do you want to switch it to 8 ohms?
AUDIO EMOTIVA XMC1 XPA3 XPA2
SPEAKERS STUDIO 100s V.5 CC590 ADP190S
VIDEO SAMSUNG PLASMA 58 INCH
OPPO BDP 93 / ERC3
GAMINING PS3 80GIG FATBOY RIP NOW PS3 SLIM 320 GIG
SUBS SVS PB12NSD PARADIGM DSP3100
TURN TABLE - REGA RP6 Grado Red1
CABLES L/R SPEAKERS- AUDIOQUEST ROCKET 33s
Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #1172
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Upstate SC

Quote:
Since they are now setup and you're enjoying them we need pics ASAP!
TV Sammy 58B550 Speakers Totem Forest and M1S center, Mirage OMD-R
Receiver Anthem MRX 500 DAC Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100
Amps-Emotiva XPA-3 W4S STI-500Subs-SVS PC12 Plus(w/Auralex SubDude)&PB12 Plus(w/Great Gramma)
BD Player/CD-Oppo 93 Power Conditioner-Belkin Pure AV PF30 Remote-Harmony One
Mac mini as music server
BDI Avion Noir 8937 A/V stand,ATS acoustic panels
Totem Tress speaker cable
Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #1173
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
There 4 ohm speakers, so you should leave your avr set at 4 ohms, is it getting excessively hot or something, why do you want to switch it to 8 ohms?
He has another pair of speakers in A+B config that is 8 ohms.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30

Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #1174

Sep 2014

Yes, I have another set at 8 ohms. Also, Nico at Totem told me that they actually run at 8 ohms most of the time and have no problem. I was just wondering if their tonal characteristics would change at all with the different load. Or if my amp would actually blow up, as some have told me : ). It's kind of like wanting to put your tongue on a metal pole in winter.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers