Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Bamboo Saucer (Blu-ray)
$18.95
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$106.34

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #1981

Jun 2010
Tampa

Still my favorite show of all time. Those that get to watch it now are so much more lucky than those of us who had to wait through those excruciatingly long season breaks.
Panasonic 65VT60 (DNice cal) :: DENON AVR-2809CI :: Emotiva XPA-3 gen 2
Paradigm Monitor 9 v4 // Monitor CC-190 v4 // Monitor ADP-190 v5
Sony PlayStation 3 :: HSU Research VTF-3 Mk IV

Pioneer KRP-500M (DNice cal)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1982

Dec 2012
Thumbs up

This was my Xmas present (silver box), and I'm extremely happy.

Looks and sounds great to me.
My Equipment:
Panasonic Viera TC-P55UT50
Denon AVR-1913
SuperSlim PS3
Old 12-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #1983

Oct 2013
USA

Amazon UK has the region-free version (everything's the same, except it's missing "The Plan") for 29, which works out to about $48 shipped to the US:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027UY8B8/
Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1984
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriSM View Post
Still my favorite show of all time. Those that get to watch it now are so much more lucky than those of us who had to wait through those excruciatingly long season breaks.
I was (and still am) a huge fan of the show which I saw during it's original run on TV.

But I have to say that I feel sorry for those people who watch it in marathon sessions without the regular breaks.

One of the great joys of old time television was the regular anticipation of waitng for your favorite show to return. It gave you something to look forward to every week. That sense of anticipation was as important as the show itself.

I don't think people today are so much more lucky than us when it comes to watching TV.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #1985

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I was (and still am) a huge fan of the show which I saw during it's original run on TV.

But I have to say that I feel sorry for those people who watch it in marathon sessions without the regular breaks.

One of the great joys of old time television was the regular anticipation of waitng for your favorite show to return. It gave you something to look forward to every week. That sense of anticipation was as important as the show itself.

I don't think people today are so much more lucky than us when it comes to watching TV.
I would agree. When that big reveal happened at the end of season 2 and I knew I had to wait for season 3 to premiere to see what happened next, the anticipation was agonizing at times. Heck, when I watched TNG I was always excited when the new season came on the air. Now I just wait for a season to be ready to and go through the episodes at my pace. It isn't quite the same, unfortunately.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #1986
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:

Huh? I hated(and still do) waiting for "next week", or "next season".
Thank God for the DVR, as I can save a ton of time getting caught up on TV watching. Plus no commercials.
I'm all for nostalgia...but not in this instance.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #1987
Power Member

Feb 2013
Tracy Island
Thumbs up Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (2011)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahsi View Post
I would agree. When that big reveal happened at the end of season 2 and I knew I had to wait for season 3 to premiere to see what happened next, the anticipation was agonizing at times. Heck, when I watched TNG I was always excited when the new season came on the air. Now I just wait for a season to be ready to and go through the episodes at my pace. It isn't quite the same, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Huh? I hated(and still do) waiting for "next week", or "next season".
Thank God for the DVR, as I can save a ton of time getting caught up on TV watching. Plus no commercials.
I'm all for nostalgia...but not in this instance.
One of my favorite series!

I liked the anticipation in those days & I like having them on hand in these days! Great being able to watch when I can, whenever I want too!! & I do love our DVR also!!!

I have this version!!!

"'Cause I'll rise again"
"There's slow, slow train coming up around the bend"
"to hell with the devil"
(1-0) Hawks Pacers (0-1) 'NBA'
Tigers (9-6) 'MLB'
White Sox vs Tigers

><(((:>
Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #1988
Special Member

Jun 2012
California, USA

I apologize for bumping this thread, but I noticed something quite interesting in the JP Season 4 blu-ray release that was released June 2013.

On the amazon.jp listing, it mentions that it has The Face of the Enemy webisodes as a special feature.

Can anyone confirm this? Because if it's true, this is the first time I think they've ever shown up on any blu-ray release.
1st Blu-Ray: (500) Days of Summer
100th Blu-Ray: Deadwood: The Complete Series
Old 03-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #1989
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMotel View Post
I apologize for bumping this thread, but I noticed something quite interesting in the JP Season 4 blu-ray release that was released June 2013.

On the amazon.jp listing, it mentions that it has The Face of the Enemy webisodes as a special feature.

Can anyone confirm this? Because if it's true, this is the first time I think they've ever shown up on any blu-ray release.

I'd be interested in this as well.
-Chris
Old 03-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #1990

Mar 2014
Denmark The face of the enemy

Hi there GoldMotel and Cab.
After accidently seing this post, I got quite interested myself, and just jumped the gun, as a blind buy
I recieved my set yesterday, and checked it out today.
The only previous copy I have, is bought on Ioffer, which I think is a bad copy of VCR recording, on a DVD-R disc.. Living in Denmark, I have had no way to see this online, or anywhere else. Like you guys, I have not been able to find this anywhere at all, so this was indeeed interesting news to me
The sad news, I'm afraid, is that there is no english subs on this set, only Japanese.
But then again, who cares, because........ I CAN CONFIRM, that all 10 webisodes is included on disc six, in glorious HD
Mind you, it is not HBO quality, but still, real and true 16:9 HD.
Hope this will answer your questions.
And so say we all
Old 03-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #1991
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron View Post
After accidently seing this post, I got quite interested myself, and just jumped the gun, as a blind buy
The only previous copy I have, is bought on Ioffer, which I think is a bad copy of VCR recording, on a DVD-R disc.. Living in Denmark, I have had no way to see this online, or anywhere else. Like you guys, I have not been able to find this anywhere at all, so this was indeeed interesting news to me
The sad news, I'm afraid, is that there is no english subs on this set, only Japanese.
But then again, who cares, because........ I CAN CONFIRM, that all 10 webisodes is included on disc six, in glorious HD
And so say we all
Great news on the Webisodes. Didn't think that would ever happen.
I already own the set so I won't be purchasing just for this.

On another note, if it's not even HBO quality IYO, (which is already compressed for TV broadcast) it sounds like the picture quality is very poor then.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Old 03-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #1992
Special Member

Jun 2012
California, USA

Quote:
And so say we all
Cool! Thanks for the info! Just a quick question, do the webisodes include the enhanced commentary that was available online? And are the JP subs hardcoded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post

On another note, if it's not even HBO quality IYO, (which is already compressed for TV broadcast) it sounds like the picture quality is very poor then.
Well, if I recall, the webisodes never even aired on TV anyway, so it wouldn't be HBO quality. In fact, the show itself was intentionally made gritty, so it would never be HBO quality (in the sense of the PQ is closer to The Wire over GOT).

I'm assuming the PQ on the webisodes is much better than their online incarnations, though.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #1993

Mar 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post

Well , IMHO it's not a bad PQ, I'm more than satisfied, just it is not 5 star rating, would give PQ a 4 (which in this case is above and beyond anything this have ever looked like)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #1994

Mar 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMotel View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info! Just a quick question, do the webisodes include the enhanced commentary that was available online? And are the JP subs hardcoded?

As I never have seen this online, when they aired, I'm sorry, i have no way of knowing about the commentary.
The subs (again-in Japanese is either ON or OFF )

Well, if I recall, the webisodes never even aired on TV anyway, so it wouldn't be HBO quality. In fact, the show itself was intentionally made gritty, so it would never be HBO quality (in the sense of the PQ is closer to The Wire over GOT).

I'm assuming the PQ on the webisodes is much better than their online incarnations, though.
The PQ is well above what I had expected (feared?), actually it falls nice in line with the look af the rest of the series. Was afraid it might be in SD on the BD-disc, but it cimes in true HD
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #1995
Special Member

Jun 2012
California, USA

Quote:
The PQ is well above what I had expected (feared?), actually it falls nice in line with the look af the rest of the series. Was afraid it might be in SD on the BD-disc, but it cimes in true HD
Cool. I'll probably import this myself then.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #1996

Aug 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Did they upgrade the "Resistance" Webisodes? If I recall they were SD on the US set.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #1997
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Orange Park, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy475 View Post
Did they upgrade the "Resistance" Webisodes? If I recall they were SD on the US set.
Those wouldn't be on the Season Four set.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #1998

Aug 2009
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat96 View Post
Those wouldn't be on the Season Four set.
Oh whoops. Sorry I didn't realize that he only received the season 4 set
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #1999

Mar 2013

I'm currently on the last 3 episodes of this show ( after watching the whole series all the way through for the first time) and I'm torn on the show.

On one hand you have the awesome: great acting, great characters, cool premise, moments of brillliance.

On the other hand, this show really frustrates me: Every time something potentially show-changing happens, the show works REALLY hard to bring everything back to square one all the time and it shows.

[Show spoiler]
- every time Baltar gets in trouble he's saved by something ridiculous, yet we can flush minor characters out the airlock no problem
- the amazing Admiral Cain situation which is really annoyingly resolved. Yeah lets have Cain killed by someone else so we don't have to change any of the main characters, or even deal with the situation. Cop out.
- Final four revealed? Just pardon them and not much will change.
- Awesome Gaita (sp?) rebellion? Can't have that, lets get Adama back to command post-haste.
- Apollo gets fat? Show him with a jump rope and then he's skinny the next episode.

It's like this show is just pretending to be anything other than an episodic show where everything is reset at the end of each episode. With Star Trek that's cool because I'm expecting it, but with this it's frustrating.

You can predict how the storyline will play out by whatever would have to happen for things to be generally reset at the end of each ep.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #2000
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Well , IMHO it's not a bad PQ, I'm more than satisfied, just it is not 5 star rating, would give PQ a 4 (which in this case is above and beyond anything this have ever looked like)
That's some good news then.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America