Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.15
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #401

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
so as I understand it, there is no corrected version, the "replacement program" just sends you the same defective disc, and Sony is just fine with letting this be the version that is out there? WTF?
No, if you e-mail SPHE they will tell you to use PCM from the player and that works around the issue.

Last edited by AVfile; 02-02-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #402
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
No, if you e-mail SPHE they will tell you to use PCM from the player and that's works around the issue.
which is also unacceptable. I shouldnt have to hassle with my hardware every time I want to watch a different movie.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!
My Letterboxd Page - Make yours and follow mine!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #403

Oct 2010

Well, that seals it. I also ordered this title for $4.99 from Amazon hoping that it had quietly been corrected (it has not arrived yet). Then I considered keeping the title for the extras disc (the audio problems are limited to the movie itself?), and then replacing disc#1 somewhere down the line with the 4k version... until I found that the 4k version is only the theatrical cut. So, when it shows up at my door, I will simply return to sender... pity, since I actually liked this version better than Verhoeven's (the whole Mars thing never worked for me...)
Peace... Harry

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....
Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 AM   #404

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

The audio problems are only when bitstreaming the movie. Set your player to output PCM instead of bitstream and it will be fine.
AVStefan ~ my trades and digital copy codes for sale: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=166741
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #405

Oct 2010

Quote:
The audio problems are only when bitstreaming the movie. Set your player to output PCM instead of bitstream and it will be fine.
My player can only be forced to 2ch PCM (if it detects that the AVR supports TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, it will automatically bitstream... no way to change this). It is somewhat ironic that it is a Sony player... (S5000ES)...
Peace... Harry

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by HarcourtMudd; 02-03-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 AM   #406
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
and as I said just two posts before yours, that doesnt make it acceptable. Consumers should not have to readjust their hardware every time they want to watch Sony's defective disc.
The Official Movie Money/Movie Cash/Free Ticket Thread - first post always updated with all current promotions!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #407
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
and as I said just two posts before yours, that doesnt make it acceptable. Consumers should not have to readjust their hardware every time they want to watch Sony's defective disc.
Agreed. Most people use bitstreaming I believe. We shouldn't have to change it to PCM just because Sony doesn't know what they're doing.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #408

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
I agree - but people need to know there is a workaround so they can at least watch the movie and not return it to the store or miss out on it.
AVStefan ~ my trades and digital copy codes for sale: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=166741
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 AM   #409

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarcourtMudd View Post
My player can only be forced to 2ch PCM (if it detects that the AVR supports TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, it will automatically bitstream... no way to change this). It is somewhat ironic that it is a Sony player... (S5000ES)...
Right, I almost forgot about that. Strange that the first generation players could do this but certain newest models can't. I am surprised this even meets the HDMI spec.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 AM   #410

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
which is also unacceptable. I shouldnt have to hassle with my hardware every time I want to watch a different movie.
Yes I told them the same thing when I got that reply.

The more people send them an email the better.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #411

Dec 2009
Ontario, CANADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Agreed. Most people use bitstreaming I believe.
Not necessarily. Some people use PCM due to DTS decoding issues and BD secondary audio.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #412

Aug 2008
Auburn, WA

Just watched this and became aware of the issue for the first time last night. I am so hacked. If Sony is leaving it up to manufacturers to update firmware to fix Sony's mess, why hasn't Sony fixed the problem in their own damn firmware??
Sale/Trade/Want Thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=108089

"I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #413
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2010
Rockford, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post
Just watched this and became aware of the issue for the first time last night. I am so hacked. If Sony is leaving it up to manufacturers to update firmware to fix Sony's mess, why hasn't Sony fixed the problem in their own damn firmware??
EXACTLY. I have a Sony BD player, and a Sony PS3. They claim it wil be fixed with firmware, yet over a year later and their own company has done nothing about it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #414

Aug 2008
Auburn, WA

I replied back to their canned "we have no plans to reproduce this title" response with a strong suggestion that Sony refund my money or reimburse me with another Sony title of my choosing. I'm sure I'll either not hear back at all, or I'll get another canned BS reply.
Sale/Trade/Want Thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=108089

"I did not slap you. I high-fived your face."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America