Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.99
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.37
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Ultimate Matrix Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Shameless: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$16.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Odd Thomas (Blu-ray)
$6.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #1481

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Cider View Post
Interesting. I rewatched Godfather 1 *again* last night and one scene that stood out to me was the one with Luca Brasi talking to himself preparing for the meeting with the Godfather at the wedding. That particular scene looks so so rough compared to everything else. I wonder if that was from a negative trim.
Can't comment on the negative trim, but that very scene wasn't part of the original script, if I'm remembering it right, Coppola inserted Luca Brasi's conversation with himself later to account for that incredibly nervy scene (in which Brasi bungled his lines) b/w Montana(Brasi) & Brando. Apparently Coppola loved the genuine nervousness and the scene made the final cut.

Last edited by MeMynonsense; 06-05-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:43 AM   #1482

Dec 2013

Is there a difference between the Coppola Restoration and the Sapphire series? If so, which one is the definitive edition to own?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #1483
Power Member

Nov 2008
Detroit, MI

I don't believe there is a difference.

The restoration is absolutely exquisite for what it's worth. Plasma is the absolute best for watching Godfather 1...the coloring is sublime.
JC480's Home Theatre Gallery
Receiver: Denon AVR-2309ci | Speakers: Polk RC80i | RC85i | LCi-C | Elemental Designs A2-300
BD Player & TV: Sony PS3 | Pioneer KRP-600M
PowerProtection: Leviton 8480-00W|7280-00W | Cutler Hammer CHSA

My UV Movie Collection
Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #1484

Oct 2008
Fishers, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkai View Post
Is there a difference between the Coppola Restoration and the Sapphire series? If so, which one is the definitive edition to own?
There's no difference in picture/audio quality. The main difference is that you lose all the extras as they are on the 4th disc of the collection. You still get the commentary with the Sapphire disc, but nothing else as far as extras.

If you don't care about extras or only want one of the films then go with the Sapphire. If you want all 3 films plus extras then definitely get the collection.
Thanks given by:
Jonkai (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #1485

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMynonsense View Post
Can't comment on the negative trim, but that very scene wasn't part of the original script, if I'm remembering it right, Coppola inserted Luca Brasi's conversation with himself later to account for that incredibly nervy scene (in which Brasi bungled his lines) b/w Montana(Brasi) & Brando. Apparently Coppola loved the genuine nervousness and the scene made the final cut.
I don't recall that shot looking particularly rough, but re: using negative trims to replace some shots, there's no reason why using such a shot would make it look "rougher". If anything, the untouched negatives would be in better condition than the well-used negative of the final cut film (which is why some shots had to be replaced in the first place, because they were damaged beyond repair). I also doubt such a long scene with dialogue would be replaced. I recall Robert Harris saying that one of the replaced shots was a shot of Don Corleone in his hospital bed after being shot. Harris was very proud that he was able to find a replacement in a trim of the actual take that was used in the original edit where Marlon Brando's breathing movements matched the original portion of the take used in the edit.

Chris
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America