Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Banshee: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Blade Runner (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Book Thief (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Home (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Andromeda Strain (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$48.34
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #1081
Leonidas_King Leonidas_King is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Leonidas_King's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Miami, FL
17
1275
63
Default

The Lionsgate release looks pretty great on my 42" screen. It definitely looks above "mediocre" which was the rating here, I say it looks great. Sound though lossy still has that great punch.
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #1082
cheez avenger cheez avenger is offline
Senior Member
 
cheez avenger's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
812
5
Default

I have the Japanese HD-DVD of Equilibrium, which is considered the best version out there in HD.


P.S. I just noticed that there's a Japanese BD and now an Italian BD sourced from the Japanese version? Wow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #1083
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
53
1525
138
133
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I have the Japanese HD-DVD of Equilibrium, which is considered the best version out there in HD.


P.S. I just noticed that there's a Japanese BD and now an Italian BD sourced from the Japanese version? Wow.
Yep, I had that JP HD DVD and I sold it about a year or so ago in favor of the JP BD since it has the lossless audio.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #1084
MrF33n3y MrF33n3y is offline
Junior Member
 
Aug 2014
203
Default

I picked it up today at Best Buy, but I may end up just returning it after reading this thread (Blu-Ray.com isn't exactly the best resource on mobile when you're thinking about blind buying something). The Japanese BD sounds great after reading through this thread, but I just don't know if I can justify that kind of money on this movie. I only paid $4.99 for the new re-release today, so I don't know...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #1085
drak b drak b is offline
Active Member
 
drak b's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Mercer Island, WA
1219
1
Default

I just received my copy of the Lionsgate release from Amazon and it says "16x9 Widescreen 1.78:1" on the back.

Is this just a typo or is it actually still the wrong aspect ratio? UPC is 031398215219 for any kind soul who wants to reassure me before I open it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #1086
thecalm_7 thecalm_7 is offline
Senior Member
 
thecalm_7's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
by the sea
2967
860
3
1
73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drak b View Post
I just received my copy of the Lionsgate release from Amazon and it says "16x9 Widescreen 1.78:1" on the back.

Is this just a typo or is it actually still the wrong aspect ratio? UPC is 031398215219 for any kind soul who wants to reassure me before I open it.
I don't have access to the UPC but here is the way this film is released around the world. Lionsgate release has proper aspect ratio, but lossy audio.

US (Original release) - Cropped from 2.39:1 to 1.78:1, DTS-HD MA 2.0, one extra (Region free)
US (Re-release with Renaissance) - 2.39:1, DD 5.1, no extras (Region A locked)
US (Re-release in Miramax 6 Pack) - AVC 2.39:1 14496 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 4061 kbps 24-bit, no extras, no English subs (Region free) Best AQ
US (Lionsgate re-release) - AVC 2.39:1, DD 5.1, no extras (Region A locked) (Same as re-release with Renaissance)
UK - VC-1 cropped from 2.39:1 to 1.78:1, DD 5.1 (Region free)
CA - VC-1 Open matte to 1.78:1 with cropped SFX, DTS-HD MA 5.1 (Region A locked)
DE - AVC 2.35:1 19154 kbps, DTS-HD HR 5.1 2046 kbps 24-bit (Region B locked)
IT - AVC 2.35:1 18994 kbps, DTS-HD MA 5.1 4006 kbps 24-bit, extras (Region B/C locked)
NL - VC-1 2.35:1 20995 kbps, DTS-HD MA 2286 kbps 16-bit, significant compression artifacts (Region free)
JP - AVC 2.35:1 32921 kbps, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 1685 kbps 16-bit, all extras, no English subs (Region free) Best PQ
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
drak b (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #1087
antennahead antennahead is offline
Senior Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
Charleston, SC
14
620
9
Default

The film was NOT cropped to 1.78. It was shot open matte and opened up to 1.78.............. more info top and bottom. Not the theatrical release, but not cropped.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
The blues has got a hold of me.
I believe I'm gettin' dizzy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #1088
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
53
1525
138
133
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
The film was NOT cropped to 1.78. It was shot open matte and opened up to 1.78.............. more info top and bottom. Not the theatrical release, but not cropped.
Yes, but it crops the special effects sequences. This has been covered before. This was corrected with the last two releases anyway as they are both 2.39:1 as the film should be. The U.S. discs should be avoided altogether IMHO. If you're region A go with the JP disc and if you're B or C go with the IT disc.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:27 AM   #1089
antennahead antennahead is offline
Senior Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
Charleston, SC
14
620
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yes, but it crops the special effects sequences. This has been covered before. This was corrected with the last two releases anyway as they are both 2.39:1 as the film should be. The U.S. discs should be avoided altogether IMHO. If you're region A go with the JP disc and if you're B or C go with the IT disc.
I agree and wasn't meaning to argue that point, just that many don't understand open matte and aspect rations in general, and assume "crop" when they see a 1.78 release from a 2.35 OAR theatrical release. I have the Alliance Canada release and live with the 1.78 ......... I'm trying not to re-buy things like this that get fixed down the road. Other than the wrong OAR, the Alliance release isn't a bad transfer, picture quality wise.YMMV.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
The blues has got a hold of me.
I believe I'm gettin' dizzy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #1090
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
53
1525
138
133
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I agree and wasn't meaning to argue that point, just that many don't understand open matte and aspect rations in general, and assume "crop" when they see a 1.78 release from a 2.35 OAR theatrical release. I have the Alliance Canada release and live with the 1.78 ......... I'm trying not to re-buy things like this that get fixed down the road. Other than the wrong OAR, the Alliance release isn't a bad transfer, picture quality wise.YMMV.
As I said before the JP disc is the way to go if you're in region A. This film will not look any better until a 4K scan is done.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 AM   #1091
antennahead antennahead is offline
Senior Member
 
antennahead's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
Charleston, SC
14
620
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
As I said before the JP disc is the way to go if you're in region A. This film will not look any better until a 4K scan is done.
I'm with ya. If I was picking this up for the first time I'd definitely get the JP disc, just not in a rush to replace the one I have............. too many other things to buy
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand,
but my head's in Mississippi.
The blues has got a hold of me.
I believe I'm gettin' dizzy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #1092
drak b drak b is offline
Active Member
 
drak b's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
Mercer Island, WA
1219
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drak b View Post
I just received my copy of the Lionsgate release from Amazon and it says "16x9 Widescreen 1.78:1" on the back.

Is this just a typo or is it actually still the wrong aspect ratio? UPC is 031398215219 for any kind soul who wants to reassure me before I open it.
For those who might be worried, yes, it is just a mislabeling on the package. The Lionsgate release of that UPC is in the proper aspect ratio of 2.39:1. I just tried out my copy of it tonight. It's a remarkably barebones disc and doesn't even have a chapter menu. Classy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #1093
StingingVelvet StingingVelvet is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
StingingVelvet's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA
501
104
33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
As I said before the JP disc is the way to go if you're in region A. This film will not look any better until a 4K scan is done.
It's like $40 though, I don't know if I care about the movie that much. Of course I also don't want the crappy US disc, so instead I keep putting it off and get nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #1094
HD Goofnut HD Goofnut is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 
May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.
53
1525
138
133
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
It's like $40 though, I don't know if I care about the movie that much. Of course I also don't want the crappy US disc, so instead I keep putting it off and get nothing.
Yep, but it used to be $60 a couple years ago and I paid $50 shipped myself. It is one of my favorite action/sci-fi titles so I didn't mind spending a little more to get the best PQ, AQ, and all of the extras on a single disc.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
equilibrium, steel book

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 AM.