COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA
Default Samsung Plasma PN51E550 - Some general questions

Hey folks,

I just recently purchased a Samsung PN51E550 Plasma. It's a beautiful set but I have been reading all these horror stories about a pink/purple haze or push in color over time. I've only had my set for a few weeks and I'm just under my first 100 hours. I am however starting to notice some minor pinkish color banding and color on the screen after I watch a film or sometimes when the movie I'm watching has a more middling greyscale I can see it in clouds and similar things. Is this normal for these sets? I can live with this if it doesn't get worse but I'm a little nervous. It's a real pain to return a 51 inch set plus this is my 4th return at Best Buy already. They are starting to get weird with me (I tried 3 different LED sets and none of them impressed me, they all had rather severe banding an terrible viewing angles). I figure if it gets real bad I can just contact Samsung and hopefully they'll deal with it for me. I really would just like to know if any of you have experienced this and if it got worse or stayed the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 AM   #2

Jul 2009
Santa Cruz CA

Krugstillo... Greetings from the California Coast:

I've had my Samsung Plasma PN51E550 for four and a half months.

I hope someone else jumps in here to say my experience is unusual or to say they love their 551 as much as I do mine.

You're not alone in your anxiety about this TV. During the first month I decided at least three times it had to go back.
I bought it online from a store in Chicago and they charge shipping on returns. I decided to stick with it. I'm so glad I did.

I can't tell if yours is defective. I doubt it, but I sure don't want to commit to it.
I can tell you about my experience with it.

Mine was way beyond 200 hours before I began to think 'this is more like it'.
By 8 weeks it was producing a stunning picture in every way. Detail, black level, color accuracy, everything.
I know what to look for. Before my retirement I worked at a nationally known digital photo lab.
I'll give them a plug: Bay Photo Lab, Santa Cruz.

For the first couple of weeks I was trying to figure out if Plasma has been way oversold
and is an inferior system. I saw all kinds of flaws mostly about a lack of definition....
shapes running together like puddles in the background of scenes.... big differences from one BluRay to
another...
It didn't come close to the clarity of my LED Samsung from six years ago.

Early on I did see a magenta bias in the white. Everything else looks so great now
I haven't thought to look for it. But I haven't seen any pink clouds.

I think you should do the following before deciding what to do.

A. Break it in when you aren't watching by using break-in slides.

You've had a Plasma before so you may already know about the slides.

To download a set, go to http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2012/...s-and-run.html
and click on the red link "Run-in Images". It will start the download when you click it.
Then burn the file to a disc or Flash Card to run it on your BluRay player

I ran them constantly when I wasn't watching the display, and turned them off
only when I wasn't home. I did this for about ten days
and the picture looked good enough to have me ready to keep it.
Then there were two leaps of quality--one after six weeks and another after 8 weeks.
I feel like I'm still seeing improvements after four months.
I'm amazed that such an accurate & beautiful picture is possible on a set that costs less than $900.

B. Use the Movie mode for all your adjustments and viewing. It's the only accurate one.

C. Do an optimization with the Disney WoW disc or something comparable.
I like the Disney disc because it has a beginner's level and finer adjustments for later.
Some kind of calibration is essential because it takes the picture to a whole new level.
You'll have to do it repeatedly as the unit burns in...

D. I set my Color Tone for Cool 1, even though the techs say Warm
is the standard. To my eyes it makes the white pure and the picture looks like a real movie. I have to wonder if
this will reduce the pink you are seeing.

Here are my settings for BluRay now that the display is broken-in:

Cell Light 20 Contrast 100 Brightness 44 Sharpness 8 Color 49
Tint G47--R53
Dynamic Contrast --off Black Tone --off RGB only mode --off Color space --native
White Balance --as is Gamma -- 0 Motion Lighting --off Color Tone --Cool
Digital Noise Filter --Auto MPEG Noise Filter --low HDMI black level --Normal
Film Mode --Cinema Smooth.

Panasonic 220 BluRay Player Picture enhancement: Chroma Process-- off Detail Clarity -- +1 Super Resolution --off

If yours is not defective you made a wise choice. I know I did.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

Thanks so much for the detailed post. Right now I am also in love with the set disregarding of course the mild pink push. It almost seems like it's getting better with more hours not worse. Honestly after all the sets I've demoed it definitely has the best picture quality. I think I am just gonna hang on to it and see what happens. I've heard good things about Samsungs customer service in the event that it does become a problem so as long as I deal with it within my year warranty I should be OK. Thanks again and if there are more details of this out there I'd love to hear from some more folks.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

Jul 2010

This problem has been a major issue with Samsung plasma's in Australia(go to Whirlpool forums and search).The problem has been fixed in a few cases by a change to the T.V's internal voltage,but in most cases the T.V has been gutted and replaced with most parts or swapped completely!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

I saw that Whirlpool thread and I'm really hoping it doesn't get to that point.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Mar 2013
Default Color tone change during 3d content

Wondering if anyone else has seen this. I'll be watching a 3D movie and during scenes with a cooler color palate, the color tone will sometimes subtley shift between the cooler tone to a warm one. Am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this. If anyone needs system specs as far as BD player, glasses, etc. just let me know and I'll be glad to share.

Samsung told me it was likely the movie I used as an example, but I've noticed it to varying degrees on all 3D movies we've watched; I just didn't feel like arguing with the support rep.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs