Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #1261
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brps3 View Post
As i recall he goes into a tunnel as a young man then in a room it shows him as an old man lying on his death bed and points at something then theres the scene of a baby.

Made no sense to me what so ever
And the sequel doesn't help at all.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #1262

Nov 2013
Default Twelve minutes have been cut from the film

I am new at this. Please be patient.
As 12 minutes have been cut from this BD, I am curious if the important line, "My God, it's full of stars," towards the end of the movie are missing from this BD, as they were missing on the DVD and the VHS releases of this film many years ago. I had been told that Kubrick tinkered with 2001, cutting and shortening the film mercilessly until he died.
So, is that line missing from this BD, or is it back in the film on this release?
Old 12-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #1263

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENNIE QUINCY SHAFT View Post
As 12 minutes have been cut from this BD, I am curious if the important line, "My God, it's full of stars," towards the end of the movie are missing from this BD, as they were missing on the DVD and the VHS releases of this film many years ago.
That line was in Arthur C. Clarke's book and so they put it in the sequel 2010, but was never part of the released version of 2001, and I don't think there's any evidence that it was part of the script or that Kubrick filmed it.
Quote:
I had been told that Kubrick tinkered with 2001, cutting and shortening the film mercilessly until he died.
Where did you hear that? Apparently Kubrick did cut 17 minutes between the premiere and the general release, but I think the version on blu/DVD/VHS has always been the same as the version that was shown on the movie's general release in 1968.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #1264
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
As 12 minutes have been cut from this BD, I am curious if the important line, "My God, it's full of stars," towards the end of the movie are missing from this BD, as they were missing on the DVD and the VHS releases of this film many years ago. I had been told that Kubrick tinkered with 2001, cutting and shortening the film mercilessly until he died.
So, is that line missing from this BD, or is it back in the film on this release?
All of this is untrue.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #1265
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Seattle Area

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
All of this is untrue.
I'm not sure what Kubrick did before he died, but I would imagine that Rizor is correct about the line; there are no stars when entering the stargate (where Bowman would have spoken those words), nor until he exited the light tunnel several minutes later.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1266
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
That line was in Arthur C. Clarke's book and so they put it in the sequel 2010, but was never part of the released version of 2001, and I don't think there's any evidence that it was part of the script or that Kubrick filmed it.

Where did you hear that? Apparently Kubrick did cut 17 minutes between the premiere and the general release, but I think the version on blu/DVD/VHS has always been the same as the version that was shown on the movie's general release in 1968.
According to the first comment down from that site you link to, the current blu-ray is a "ghastly shade of green". Shame - I wasn't aware the film's color timing was tinkered with for the blu-ray. I wish they would stop with that nonsense.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #1267

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
According to the first comment down from that site you link to, the current blu-ray is a "ghastly shade of green". Shame - I wasn't aware the film's color timing was tinkered with for the blu-ray. I wish they would stop with that nonsense.
I wouldn't necessarily trust a random commenter, the screenshots on blu-ray.com don't look particularly green-tinted, although it's possible the original movie featured brighter colors with more red/blue. Even if the colors of the blu ray are slightly off it wouldn't necessarily mean the color timing was tinkered with, in some cases where a blu ray's colors are off it's because the print or negative they used had its colors shift due to age, and the people making the blu ray failed to do the right sort of correction.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #1268
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Again, a proper 8K master, which is what this film deserves, would solve many of the issues that are present in the BD.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1269
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityOatyBar View Post
In 1968, when Stanley Kubrick was asked to comment on the metaphysical significance of 2001: A Space Odyssey, he replied: "It's not a message I ever intended to convey in words. 2001 is a nonverbal experience...I tried to create a visual experience, one that bypasses verbalized pigeonholing and directly penetrates the subconscious with an emotional and philosophic content."
"bypasses verbalized pigeonholing"...

now that is poetry, ladies and gentlemen...
Old 12-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #1270

Jul 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
I wouldn't necessarily trust a random commenter, the screenshots on blu-ray.com don't look particularly green-tinted, although it's possible the original movie featured brighter colors with more red/blue. Even if the colors of the blu ray are slightly off it wouldn't necessarily mean the color timing was tinkered with, in some cases where a blu ray's colors are off it's because the print or negative they used had its colors shift due to age, and the people making the blu ray failed to do the right sort of correction.

THIS MOVIE IS GREEN-TINTET - i have seen it on the blu-ray (AND I HAVE IT) and it's pretty obvious when they are on the moon and travel with a moon-flyer

it also notice-able if you look at the DAWN sequences -

This is true so you better start to come to Peace with it

so we have for this release

green-tint
EE
and an upgrading from the DVD Master

those are some of the flaws this film have, it should BTW have the speciel features on a second disc so the codec could show unlimited PQ
Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1271
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
In 1968, when Stanley Kubrick was asked to comment on the metaphysical significance of 2001: A Space Odyssey, he replied: "It's not a message I ever intended to convey in words. 2001 is a nonverbal experience...I tried to create a visual experience, one that bypasses verbalized pigeonholing and directly penetrates the subconscious with an emotional and philosophic content."
Thanks for quote.I certainly got that feeling when I finally 'got' the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
"bypasses verbalized pigeonholing"...

now that is poetry, ladies and gentlemen...
Indeed it is.
nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #1272

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Again, a proper 8K master, which is what this film deserves, would solve many of the issues that are present in the BD.
If any film deserves that kind of treatment it is this one.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #1273

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Malmstrøm View Post
THIS MOVIE IS GREEN-TINTET - i have seen it on the blu-ray (AND I HAVE IT) and it's pretty obvious when they are on the moon and travel with a moon-flyer

it also notice-able if you look at the DAWN sequences -

This is true so you better start to come to Peace with it

so we have for this release

green-tint
EE
and an upgrading from the DVD Master

those are some of the flaws this film have, it should BTW have the speciel features on a second disc so the codec could show unlimited PQ

Is it because the moon is made of cheese, green cheese?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #1274

Nov 2008
In front of the Kuro
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Quote:
Definitely one of the greatest films ever made. Seeing it on the big screen in 70mm even with a bad print, this film has power and the finale doesn't need words to deliver that power, so I think Kubrick succeeded.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #1275

Feb 2010
Edmonton

I've never seen this film before. Is the newest Warner 30th anniversary edition the same transfer as the original 2007 release?

I found a triple pack with 2001: A Space Odyssey/Clockwork Orange/The Shining for $15 and want to buy that if it has the best transfers. I've never seen any of these movies except for parts of the Shining.

Also I've never seen Blade-Runner, were there multiple Blu-ray transfers of that film or are all releases the same (besides the different cuts of course).

Thanks!
Samsung PN51D8000 3DTV // Yamaha HTR5063 w/ 7.1 Surround - Energy Tower Speakers // Sony BDP-S470 Blu-ray
Old 01-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #1276
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCardboard View Post
I've never seen this film before. Is the newest Warner 30th anniversary edition the same transfer as the original 2007 release?

I found a triple pack with 2001: A Space Odyssey/Clockwork Orange/The Shining for $15 and want to buy that if it has the best transfers. I've never seen any of these movies except for parts of the Shining.

Also I've never seen Blade-Runner, were there multiple Blu-ray transfers of that film or are all releases the same (besides the different cuts of course).

Thanks!
AFAIK, the blu ray transfers are the same for all blu versions of 2001 and Blade Runner
Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #1277
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCardboard View Post

Thanks!
They are all the original transfers. With the Warner three pack, it's the three original discs.

For Blade Runner, they all stem from the original 2007 release where The Final Cut was given more remastering compared to the theatrical/director/international cuts (those three cuts use brand seaming). However, it should be noted that while the workprint version is the same transfer, it was re-encoded from VC-1 to AVC for the digibook release.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Da-Lite HD Progressive 1.1 gain, 2:35:1 CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Panasonic 65" VT60 plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 03-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #1278
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

A little late, but I finally saw this.
Took the DVD out of the library.
Liked it. So I bought the blu-ray.

This must've been awesome when it first came out! The effects must've been insane!

In a way I wish I'd seen it when I was younger, but if that was the case, I might not have liked it (meaning, I might not have been ready, or, might not have liked the slow pace). So in a way, I'm glad I never saw it before now.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #1279
Expert Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
In a way I wish I'd seen it when I was younger, but if that was the case, I might not have liked it (meaning, I might not have been ready, or, might not have liked the slow pace). So in a way, I'm glad I never saw it before now.
I'll never forget the first time I saw it. I rented it from a local store called Video Castle in 1997 and the tape broke a few seconds into it after playing strange and distorted. The Blu-ray is certainly a step up from that, lol.

(I had some bad luck with 2001, when I got the Criterion CAV set in 2002 it had all these little pinholes in the discs and they didn't play right, luckily the site I bought it from I think Discount Laserdisc sent me another copy with undamaged discs)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #1280
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

I've just received a notice that 2001 will be showing here in Sydney, Australia, in a week's time in a revivalist cinema with a proper 70mm screen. They're advertising it as being in "remastered HD Digital", but I'm not sure what that actually means. (A digital projection of the master used for the BD? Or something newer?)

Anyway. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood are going to be in attendance, and do an audience Q&A.

And ... it's already sold out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America