COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #1

Jan 2012
Houston
Default Need Help for Living-Room/Patio Sound Setup

Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of research but I'm hitting a wall on my options.

Here's what I want to do:
In the living room I want a soundbar on my TV to keep it nice and clean. Then I'd like to put a decent (but nothing hi-end) Hi-Fi system in the living room as well to play CDs and Records.
Inside the living room I'd probably link it to the soundbar and then outside on the patio to 1 or 2 speakers.

Most of the mini-systems I've looked at (Onkyo, Denon...) don't seem to have 'AUX In' for my record turntable and even less seem to have more than 2 speaker input.
I also wonder if I'd need to be able to separate the 2 rooms on the system so I could play the TV inside and the music outside. Which would probably mean a dedicated receiver?

What do you guys think are my best options for such a setup.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

You didn't give a budget for the receiver, but a starting idea is something like the Onkyo NR709 with the 2nd zone for $450
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

A receiver will be the best option since there are receivers with 2 zones and + . Like HAMP said the Onkyo is a good option but there are also other brands that you could consider .

What TT are you using ?

EDIT: I just saw your pics you can use your Denon for what you want to achieve .

Last edited by Almadacr; 11-22-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #4

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
Hi guys,

I've been doing a bit of research but I'm hitting a wall on my options.

Here's what I want to do:
In the living room I want a soundbar on my TV to keep it nice and clean. Then I'd like to put a decent (but nothing hi-end) Hi-Fi system in the living room as well to play CDs and Records.
Inside the living room I'd probably link it to the soundbar and then outside on the patio to 1 or 2 speakers.

Most of the mini-systems I've looked at (Onkyo, Denon...) don't seem to have 'AUX In' for my record turntable and even less seem to have more than 2 speaker input.
I also wonder if I'd need to be able to separate the 2 rooms on the system so I could play the TV inside and the music outside. Which would probably mean a dedicated receiver?

What do you guys think are my best options for such a setup.
Buy this two-channel receiver from Home Theater Direct (HTD). It has six inputs and 5-way binding post terminals for speakers (A, B, A+B). HTD is a factory direct company and they make good products at very reasonable prices. You cannot find better prices.

Two-channel Receiver (they call it an amplifier, but it is really a receiver without radio), $279:
http://www.htd.com/Products/2-Channe...ereo-Amplifier

Speakers:
http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers

Mini Review of their Speakers by Audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...speakers-video
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-22-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #5

Jan 2012
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
You didn't give a budget for the receiver, but a starting idea is something like the Onkyo NR709 with the 2nd zone for $450
I don't have a budget per say but I don't want to splurge on this. I already have a nice HT room so I just want good quality but don't need anything hi-end.
The only prereq is that anything I get must not be more than 16" to fit in the cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
A receiver will be the best option since there are receivers with 2 zones and + . Like HAMP said the Onkyo is a good option but there are also other brands that you could consider .

What TT are you using ?

EDIT: I just saw your pics you can use your Denon for what you want to achieve .
My Denon is on the upstairs floor in the HT room so that's not a viable option. I also have an Onkyo in the game room but that's also upstairs so not viable either.

What's "TT" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Buy this two-channel receiver from Home Theater Direct (HTD). It has six inputs and 5-way binding post terminals for speakers (A, B, A+B). HTD is a factory direct company and they make good products at very reasonable prices. You cannot find better prices.

Two-channel Receiver (they call it an amplifier, but it is really a receiver without radio), $279:
http://www.htd.com/Products/2-Channe...ereo-Amplifier

Speakers:
http://www.htd.com/Products/Cabinet-Speakers

Mini Review of their Speakers by Audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...speakers-video
Thanks. I will check those out.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 11-22-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Southern California

I should have elaborated in my post. The receiver from Home Theater Direct is really a receiver without the radio. The correct name for it is Integrated Amplifier. It is the combination of a pre-amp and an amplifier. If you check around, you will find out that most other integrated amplifiers are a more expensive. Some of them cost a few thousand dollars.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post

My Denon is on the upstairs floor in the HT room so that's not a viable option. I also have an Onkyo in the game room but that's also upstairs so not viable either.

What's "TT" ?
TT = Turntable
Old 11-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #8

Jan 2012
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I should have elaborated in my post. The receiver from Home Theater Direct is really a receiver without the radio. The correct name for it is Integrated Amplifier. It is the combination of a pre-amp and an amplifier. If you check around, you will find out that most other integrated amplifiers are a more expensive. Some of them cost a few thousand dollars.
That's ok. That Amp really seems like it could fit my needs for the room without going overboard on features I won't use and price.
For speakers though I really need to use a soundbar inside so I'm looking into those at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
TT = Turntable
Ah, I haven't really started research on that yet since I can add one last once the setup is ready. But I think something like the Audio Technica LP60 would be plenty fine for me.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #9

Nov 2012

Onkyo I feel great
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #10

Jan 2012
Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbeailueuc View Post
Onkyo I feel great
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion