COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$54.96
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla vs. Megalon (Blu-ray)
$12.74

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #561
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Seattle Area

I have seen the Pooh adventures many times in different formats, as my kids were big fans. Concerning this release, I'll leave the technical details aside (since Ken has addressed them rather comprehensively in his review) and just say that the BD version was worth the wait. I was interested more in the overall effect, and was therefore pleased at the extent to which the extra detail, brightness, color, and enhanced sound added to the enjoyment of the experience. While watching, I thought how rare a presentation such as this must be in an era of escalating violence, explosions, and revenge to satisfy the appetite of spectacle-saturated youth. Nothing to see here but an increasingly rare story highlighting youthful innocence, wonderfully executed and produced. I am looking forward to seeing it again when the grandkids visit.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #562

Aug 2012
Pennsylvania

Got my copy today from target. Walmart only had the DVD.
Blu-Ray Wishlist
Halloween 6: The Producers Cut, Foul Play, Psycho IV, 9 to 5,The Best Little Wh**ehouse in Texas, Exorcist II: The Heretic,Panic Room, Prancer, One Magic Christmas, Mommie Dearest,The Witches,Red Eye,What Lies Beneath, Xanadu, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #563

May 2013

There is nothing wrong per se with removing some grain for animation imo. But what you need is a really nice 4K print to do it to the best of your ability. Animation that is intensely grainy is a serious distraction no matter how pure you want it to be. 4K grain is going to be even more distracting. You are literally going to be watching pinpoint grain swirls unless you use some DNR on animation. Now of course you have to treat films with respect. Only minor DNR can be applied to a bad master or a film that is inherently soft or to a process that doesn't bode well for mid to high amounts of it.

Clearly, films like Sword in the Stone were just bad masters and had too much DNR.

I also think this studio REALLY needs some quality control when it comes to aspect ratio. Seriously, which is it! It seems like for all but the later Robin Hood 1.66:1 seems the best choice. That is my opinion on seeing how cut up Sword and Jungle Book look. They went 1.66 for Aristo, Fox, and Pooh and they all look great in that ratio IMHO.

I just don't get this whole 1.75:1 thing. If it were true then we would be seeing all these films using it. Robin Hood doesn't look bad but then again that was '73, a far cry from the 60s releases. I'd really like more detail in how this aspect herp derp of the film restoration is decided on.

Last edited by Khronikos; 08-31-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:44 AM   #564
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

I saw a copy at my Walmart for 14.95, but the dvd next to it was 16.95. Weird. Either way it was a steal, but I didn't have any money on me to spend on a bluray
Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #565
Expert Member

Mar 2011

yup. just snagged this at walmart for 15 bucks, couldnt refuse.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #566

Sep 2012
Pacific City, Oregon
Send a message via Yahoo to Mason_Ireton Send a message via Skype™ to Mason_Ireton

Received my copy from E Bay ($20) which was a fair price

Not sure if anybody noticed, but when you play Day For Eeyore, look at the voice credits,

Jim Cummings (Darkwing Duck, Pete, Tigger/Pooh), Tress Macneille (current voice of Chip from Chip and Dale) Aaron Spann (Josh of KH Dream Drop Distance) are listed with Ralph Wright (Eeyore) John Fiedler (Piglet), Paul Winchell (Tigger) and Hal Smith (Owl/Pooh)

Hal Smith voiced Pooh for Day For Eeyore, Welcome To Pooh Corner, Discover The Seasons and rotated with Jim Cummings during New Adventures Of Pooh

Kinda surprised to see Jim Cummings attach to a project that he didn't participate in,

is this is a mistake? cause I know Disney redubbed some of Many Adventures' scenes with the current Pooh actors... I listened to Jim's Pooh and Hal's Pooh voices but can't tell 'em apart.....

Last edited by Mason_Ireton; 09-01-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #567

Dec 2012

Regarding the aspect ratio, was the 77 Package film shown in widescreen in general? Why do you think Disney hasn't shown this in it's exact AR, would that pose any problems?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #568
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason_Ireton View Post
Hal Smith voiced Pooh for Day For Eeyore, Welcome To Pooh Corner, Discover The Seasons and rotated with Jim Cummings during New Adventures Of Pooh. Kinda surprised to see Jim Cummings attach to a project that he didn't participate in, is this is a mistake? cause I know Disney redubbed some of Many Adventures' scenes with the current Pooh actors... I listened to Jim's Pooh and Hal's Pooh voices but can't tell 'em apart.....
Yeah, it's a mistake. Hal Smith was Pooh here (and Jim Cummings was always Pooh for New Adventures). I'm not why it happened, but the opening credits were changed either around the time of or even before the 25th Anniversary DVD release of Many Adventures in 2002, and since the BD is sourced from the same master of that short (instead of the new restoration the "Mini Adventures" Day for Eeyore is sourced from), the error is carried over.

Here's where it gets really weird, though. The 1993 VHS release of Day for Eeyore ALSO has redone credits, although those retain the right cast members (just differently formatted credits). I took some screencaps of all three versions off of YouTube. The first one doesn't list a source but is clearly from the oldest version, so I'm guessing this reflects what was shown in theaters. Curiously, the second version from 1993 better matches the credits found in the original three shorts/Many Adventures film. The third one is the 2002 one that's been carried over since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pooh1.jpg (13.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg pooh2.jpg (18.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg pooh3.jpg (15.7 KB, 50 views)
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #569

Jul 2012
Michigan
Default I am having trouble too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister serious View Post
+1
Out of Wal-Mart, Target, Toysrus, and Best Buy, only Target had the blu-ray version
My local Walmart and Meijer (regional store) only had DVD copies of the film.

I am starting to think Disney produced far more DVD copies because they believe the film is meant for little kids and a Blu-ray would not have much appeal.

I am really mad because I have anticipated this release for a long time and I cannot even get my hands on it.
Blu-ray owner since 2010.

Wishlist - Avatar: The Last Airbender, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Prince of Egypt
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #570

Aug 2012
Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wman1996 View Post
My local Walmart and Meijer (regional store) only had DVD copies of the film.

I am starting to think Disney produced far more DVD copies because they believe the film is meant for little kids and a Blu-ray would not have much appeal.

I am really mad because I have anticipated this release for a long time and I cannot even get my hands on it.
Do you have a target around you? From what I've read Target is one of the few stores to actually have the blu ray.
Blu-Ray Wishlist
Halloween 6: The Producers Cut, Foul Play, Psycho IV, 9 to 5,The Best Little Wh**ehouse in Texas, Exorcist II: The Heretic,Panic Room, Prancer, One Magic Christmas, Mommie Dearest,The Witches,Red Eye,What Lies Beneath, Xanadu, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #571
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Oregon

The Pooh movies have all seemed to have a much larger DVD print than Blu.
I had to order Winnie the Pooh because I couldn't find a Blu copy at any stores in my area. Since then, I still don't think I've seen any on shelves. I picked up The Tigger Movie from DMC for the same reason, I've only seen a couple copies of it on shelves since.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #572

Jun 2012
Question

Sorry to bring up the digital copy issue again, but just wanted to ask as something just occurred to me:

As we already know, when the equivalent Canadian release of a title include a digital copy like in the US release that means that the US one will be supported by iTunes as Amazon and Vudu codes aren't being supported in Canada.

Now, I remember reading here a while back that the Canadian DMC offered "The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh" as a special limited early release, with a digital copy. How exactly does it work without iTunes? Could it be that iTunes is supported on the Canadian version?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #573
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

im mad and angry that the digital copy is just VUDU and amazon only. This Blows!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #574
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingbilly10 View Post
im mad and angry that the digital copy is just VUDU and amazon only. This Blows!!!
Doesn't blow as much as iTunes.
Friggin' thing hid all my titles from me and I had to search how to change the options.

Disney!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #575

Dec 2012

Were the shorts individually shown in widescreen?

What about when the film was packaged for 1977, was it shown in widescreen?

What other Disney movies or shorts were shown in widescreen but made fullscreen for home media?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America