Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Justified: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Boxtrolls (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$84.99
Get on Up (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mad Men: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Pitch Perfect (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #581
Special Member

Jul 2014

Saint is just flat out dumb as hell then if he thinks remaking a perfect movie with it done shot for shot was a smart idea. That makes this movie ever worse now. And I'll glad watch Planet of the Apes from Burton over this pile of garbage any day. At least that movie tried to be something new. I'd rather a movie tried and fail than fail just for sucking.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 AM   #582

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Saint is just flat out dumb as hell then if he thinks remaking a perfect movie with it done shot for shot was a smart idea. That makes this movie ever worse now. And I'll glad watch Planet of the Apes from Burton over this pile of garbage any day. At least that movie tried to be something new. I'd rather a movie tried and fail than fail just for sucking.
It's neither a "smart" nor a "dumb" idea. It's an experiment. A "What if?" "What will result from taking the same screenplay, same storyboards, and redoing it?" As the essay James Luckard cited says, it was an experiment that asks and answers many questions. As a work of art in and of itself, it's not much (IMHO), but as an art project it's really quite fascinating.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #583
Special Member

Jul 2014

Disagree. The other problem with this version is it proved why Psycho worked so well in B&W. Putting it in color took away from the atmosphere of the movie.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #584
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
New York

Bottom line: The reason the Psycho remake failed is because they changed who Norman Bates is as a person. In the original, he's a severely disturbed man with mommy issues. In the remake, he's just a pervert. The scene where he's masturbating whilst spying on a girl, was the one scene that really put an axe into the character. He goes from curious in the original, to pervert in the remake.

Norman is no longer a tortured soul like in the original. He knows what he's doing and he enjoys it in the remake, whereas he's a victim of his own demons in the original.
The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

Abu Ramu Simbu Tu
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (01-09-2015), Davidian (01-09-2015), _Quarme_ (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #585
Power Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Bottom line: The reason the Psycho remake failed is because they changed who Norman Bates is as a person. In the original, he's a severely disturbed man with mommy issues. In the remake, he's just a pervert. The scene where he's masturbating whilst spying on a girl, was the one scene that really put an axe into the character. He goes from curious in the original, to pervert in the remake.

Norman is no longer a tortured soul like in the original. He knows what he's doing and he enjoys it in the remake, whereas he's a victim of his own demons in the original.
I do get the point people are making about the experiment of remaking a classic so closely. There are two types of remakes, those like The Getaway or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels where it's generally telling the same story with a few alterations, and others like The Italian Job or Planet of the Apes which basically discard the original plot and retain a few ideas and concepts. But Van Sant tried to remake the entire thing from beginning to end, as if he was directing a revival of a play. It's interesting that the choice was made to film it in color, because it my mind it equates it to all of those awful colorization jobs done to old black and white films, it changes the film to something kind of soulless, creepy and unnatural. It's almost as if Van Sant went one step further and removed Perkins' iconic performance and replaced it with a soulless, creepy and unnatural Vaughn one, or replacing Hitchcock's brilliantly methodical filming techniques with sloppy modern ones made by today's music video trained directors, hence the quick cut inserts of cows etc. during the murder scenes. If his intent was to prove in the extreme that remakes rob the originals of their souls, then I think he succeeded in that task with his own film being the sacrifice to make the point.
Thanks given by:
_Quarme_ (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #586
Special Member

Jul 2014

Not only that, but it just doesn't work. If Saint wanted to remake the movie shot by shot, he needed to keep it in the 60s. Having lines like, "Hold on, I forgot my Walkman," 80s and 90s cars, and Rob Zombie playing in the background does not go with the old style dialog like the "Now wait a minute, I can only take so much of this," line and having the cop only check her license plate with her license and registration rather than going to his computer and swiping it to check on her, and the lack of an actual database of computers just pulls you out of it. It should either be in the 60s or in the 90s, NOT BOTH!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #587
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
New York

One time when asked who he thought could do a good remake of one of his films, Alfred Hitchcock said "The only one that could make a good remake is me" and he proved it when he remade The Man That Knew Too Much. His remake of his own film, was better than the orignal.

The Psycho remake just goes to show you, no one can, and no one should, remake his films.

All master directors have their own style and vision, that others can't match. For example, Akira Kurosawa and Yasujirō Ozu, both master directors from Japan. But if you gave either of them the other persons films and asked him to remake them, it wouldn't turn out as good. Because it would lack the style and vision of the original director. One specializes in modern-day slice of life films and the other specializes in historical Samurai films. Same thing goes for other great directors like Quentin Tarantino and Charles Chaplin. If Tarantino was to remake The Great Dictator, it would be totally different from how Chaplin did it.
The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

Abu Ramu Simbu Tu
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:55 PM   #588
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
One specializes in modern-day slice of life films and the other specializes in historical Samurai films.
I'm in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of the half of Kurosawa's filmography that are samurai/period films. However his contemporary films are some of my absolute favorites. IKIRU is my #2 favorite film of all time, and STRAY DOG, HIGH AND LOW, THE BAD SLEEP WELL, etc, are also among my favorites.

He's unfairly known by the masses today as a "samurai movie director". Half of his films are largely forgotten by the public, unfortunately.

Quote:
If Tarantino was to remake The Great Dictator, it would be totally different from how Chaplin did it.
He basically did, in some scenes in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #589
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
I'm in the minority, but I'm not a big fan of the half of Kurosawa's filmography that are samurai/period films. However his contemporary films are some of my absolute favorites. IKIRU is my #2 favorite film of all time, and STRAY DOG, HIGH AND LOW, THE BAD SLEEP WELL, etc, are also among my favorites.

He's unfairly known by the masses today as a "samurai movie director". Half of his films are largely forgotten by the public, unfortunately.
Oh I'm well aware, I studied Japanese films in college (among other things). When I say "specalize" I'm relating it to what Ozu does as a filmmaker. Although as far as samurai films go, I do prefer Kurosawa over other directors like Kobayashi; I did enjoy his 1962 film Harakiri, and his Human Condition triology was pretty good too.

Quote:
He basically did, in some scenes in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.
Inglourious Basterds (2009) borrows from a few films, it's namesake is from The Inglorious Bastards (1978)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

But "borrowing" from a film isn't the same as a remake.

Abu Ramu Simbu Tu
Old 01-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #590
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Inglourious Basterds (2009) borrows from a few films, it's namesake is from The Inglorious Bastards (1978)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076584/

But "borrowing" from a film isn't the same as a remake.
Yep, I was just referring to the one Hitler scene in the movie
Old 01-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #591
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Van Sant's Psycho is a $60,000,000 film school project.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #592
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Van Sant's Psycho is a $60,000,000 film school project.
Yep, that's the point Though as the quote I linked from the DP above shows, it was a $20 million art project. But it's true, that was absolutely the filmmakers' intention. This was never meant to be just another cash-grab horror remake.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:35 PM   #593
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Yep, that's the point Though as the quote I linked from the DP above shows, it was a $20 million art project. But it's true, that was absolutely the filmmakers' intention. This was never meant to be just another cash-grab horror remake.
I've seen both figures quoted.

And frankly, the idea that anyone should pay to sit in a theater and watch a 46-year-old man and established film director wallow in film school learning exercises is profoundly insulting. It's worse than a cash-grab remake...it's thoroughly self-indulgent and disdainful of the audience.
Thanks given by:
_Quarme_ (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #594
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
I've seen both figures quoted.

And frankly, the idea that anyone should pay to sit in a theater and watch a 46-year-old man and established film director wallow in film school learning exercises is profoundly insulting. It's worse than a cash-grab remake...it's thoroughly self-indulgent and disdainful of the audience.
But my point in a post on an earlier page was that, to Van Sant, perhaps the whole theatrical release part of it was less important. I get the sense, from what people involved have said, that it was performance art to actually create the new version of the film.

And Van Sant wasn't personally going to everyone's house and dragging them to the theater, pulling money out of their wallet, and strapping them into a seat, with their eyes held open with pincers, CLOCKWORK ORANGE-style The people who saw it in theaters, like me, chose to do so, out of either morbid curiosity, or because they never saw the first one and just wanted to fill two hours. I knew plenty of people who didn't know the original at all, and just saw it as another Friday night movie. Heck, I'd bet 90% of the audience was that kind of average viewer.

Anyway, if an audience is arguably being disdained, and the director and crew actually acknowledge it, and the audience shows up anyway, I blame them, not the director
Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #595
Power Member

Jul 2008

One of the great things about the Van Sant remake of Psycho is the soundtrack. Danny Elfman did a terrific job of adapting Bernard Herrmann's legendary score. Since there is no legitimate release of Herrmann's score on CD, Elfman's adapted score is my go to CD when I want to listen to the soundtrack.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #596
Special Member

Jul 2014

Adapting the score? Elfman didn't do jack shit. He just took the music track from teh original movie and put it over the remake.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #597
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
One of the great things about the Van Sant remake of Psycho is the soundtrack. Danny Elfman did a terrific job of adapting Bernard Herrmann's legendary score. Since there is no legitimate release of Herrmann's score on CD, Elfman's adapted score is my go to CD when I want to listen to the soundtrack.
Agreed! As I understand it, aside from adjusting it to fit the exact timing of the new film, he and Steve Bartek also subtly re-orchestrated it. I'm actually grateful Van Sant's film exists simply because it allowed us to have a modern, top-quality recording of this iconic score.

Of course Elmer Bernstein had already done something similar with Bernard Herrmann's original 1962 score for Scorsese's 1991 remake of CAPE FEAR, so this wasn't an unheard of thing to do.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #598
Power Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Agreed! As I understand it, aside from adjusting it to fit the exact timing of the new film, he and Steve Bartek also subtly re-orchestrated it. I'm actually grateful Van Sant's film exists simply because it allowed us to have a modern, top-quality recording of this iconic score.

Of course Elmer Bernstein had already done something similar with Bernard Herrmann's original 1962 score for Scorsese's 1991 remake of CAPE FEAR, so this wasn't an unheard of thing to do.
It truly is a top notch recording. There have been various re-recordings of Psycho released on CD throughout the years but the Elfman score sounds great and gets the timings right. Herrmann himself did a re-recording in his twilight years but I'm not fond of the tempo on that release. It's just way too slow.

That Elmer Bernstein score to Cape Fear also includes some tracks from Herrmann's unreleased Torn Curtain score. (Although there is a Hitchcock CD compilation out there that contains a few of the original tracks.) I might have to dig into the collection and dust off that Cape Fear soundtrack. It's been ages since I gave it a spin!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #599
Blu-ray Guru

May 2011

I love Van Sant's answer when he was asked why did he re-create Psycho shot by shot: "So that no one else would".
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (01-11-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America