Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Oct 2009
North Carolina
Default Please help a newbie

I have just ordered the Onkyo 7300 htib. I know my blu-ray and satellite go into the receiver, and the hdmi out of the receiver to my tv. Do i have to have something for the audio from tv to receiver? Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2010
Columbia, MO

You won't need it because the sound on your TV is actually coming from your satellite receiver which is already connected to your AVR. Connecting the TV to the receiver would just be redundant.
-Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver RS8's, RSLCR, RSFX, Dual Epik Empires
-Powered by: Dual XPA-5's & MMC-1
-TV: Samsung 52" A750
-Sources: Pio Elite BDP-05fd, Toshiba HD-A30, XboX 360, DirecTV HD, HTPC, Music Hall MMF 5.1
-Extras: Music Hall 25.2 DAC, Goldpoint SA4, JoLida JD9, Harmony 1000, Panamax 5100 (x2), BFD Pro DSP1124P
-Cables: Blue Jeans, Audioquest, Monster, DIY Cat5, Belden, DNM
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskincoach View Post
I have just ordered the Onkyo 7300 htib. I know my blu-ray and satellite go into the receiver, and the hdmi out of the receiver to my tv. Do i have to have something for the audio from tv to receiver? Thanks for all the info.
Nope! Just one HDMI going out from the receiver into the TV is all you need because all audio is decoded within the receiver and sent out through the speakers, not the TV. As for video, the "HDMI Out' relays the video from all "HDMI In" devices to the TV.
Samsung PN51D7000 3D Plasma
Marantz SR7002 7.1 A/V Receiver
Marantz MM9000 Power Amp
JBL Studio L Series:
LC2 4-way Center Channel
L820s 4-way Fronts
L810s Surrounds
PS3 250GB "slim"/Xbox 360 250GB/Wii
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #4

Oct 2009
North Carolina

Thanks you guys are awesome the diagram in the owners manual was showing that i needed an optical cable.
I had not heard of this, and i am going to take down the plasma and redo my plate behind it and did not want to hang it again and find out i need another cord going to it. I have a very slim mount and it i have to take the big boy down to gain access behind it. Thanks for the info very much. Hope all is well in Aggie land
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

Nov 2008

I have a Cable box plugged into the TV but the optical from the cable box into the HTIB so I can play the sound from the Cable box through the HTIB instead of the TV. It's mainly for football games so I can have better sound.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

If you have a 5.1 system and you're playing a movie with a 7.1 mix, what happens to the sound? Does the receiver just not play the 2 missing channels, or can the receiver convert the 7.1 to 5.1?
My PSN ID: The_Edge_1980
Nissen's Back to the Future Retro VHS BD custom covers I've commisioned can be found HERE
A biopic worthy of being in your collection: Control (2007)
WEED IS DUMB.
Don't bother criticizing how I post, because I couldn't care less what you think about how I do things. I've got no time for Internet Nazis or Sheldon Cooper-like people.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
If you have a 5.1 system and you're playing a movie with a 7.1 mix, what happens to the sound? Does the receiver just not play the 2 missing channels, or can the receiver convert the 7.1 to 5.1?
The two extra channels of rear surround are usually mixed into your existing surround channels (e.g. the left rear and left surround channels of the 7.1 track are mixed to the single left rear of your 5.1 system).

You won't be missing anything, if that's what you're concerned about.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post
The two extra channels of rear surround are usually mixed into your existing surround channels (e.g. the left rear and left surround channels of the 7.1 track are mixed to the single left rear of your 5.1 system).

You won't be missing anything, if that's what you're concerned about.
Nice! Thanks!!!
My PSN ID: The_Edge_1980
Nissen's Back to the Future Retro VHS BD custom covers I've commisioned can be found HERE
A biopic worthy of being in your collection: Control (2007)
WEED IS DUMB.
Don't bother criticizing how I post, because I couldn't care less what you think about how I do things. I've got no time for Internet Nazis or Sheldon Cooper-like people.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Aug 2012
western PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigskincoach View Post
no, HDMI takes care of everything.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown311 View Post
no, HDMI takes care of everything.
I would hope that the person you answered would have been able to figure out the answer to his/her question by now... 2years & 3.5months after asking.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > HTiB (all-in-one systems)