Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #441
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Agreed. And the cutaways to the deaths that occurred in each room as the Lutzes tour the house are still quite effective, IMO.
Definitely.

I had forgotten how beautiful Margot Kidder looks in The Amityville Horror. For some reason, she never does come across as beautiful in the Superman movies that were filmed around the same time, but I guess that The Amityville Horror shows her in a different light.
Thanks given by:
jmb1381 (09-16-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #442
Special Member

Oct 2008

That one-legwarmer scene of hers always makes me giggle, though!

Also, bonus little trivia on Amityville 3D.

You know the J-Horror classic Ringu? Well, in the book it's based on, the cursed victims' faces don't turn up blurry in photographs. That was made up for the movie versions, and director Hideo Nakata actually cited Amityville 3D as an influence! Go figure! Probably just a coincidence that both movies also have
[Show spoiler]a dead girl popping out of a well
- that WAS in the book, after all.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #443
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
You know the J-Horror classic Ringu? Well, in the book it's based on, the cursed victims' faces don't turn up blurry in photographs. That was made up for the movie versions, and director Hideo Nakata actually cited Amityville 3D as an influence! Go figure! Probably just a coincidence that both movies also have
[Show spoiler]a dead girl popping out of a well
- that WAS in the book, after all.
Nice! That never crossed my mind. I have not seen Ringu in years, but I keep hoping that a good domestic Blu-ray upgrade comes down the pipes soon. It's pretty cool that Nakata got the picture idea from Amityville 3-D.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #444
Special Member

Oct 2008

Yeah... importing BDs from Japan is super-expensive, so hopefully someone gets around to releasing it over here.

Any thoughts on the upcoming Amityville: The Awakening? I'm cautiously optimistic since it seems to have a decent pedigree behind it. And the house looks almost exactly like it did in these first three films, so that's a nostalgia bonus at least.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #445
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Any thoughts on the upcoming Amityville: The Awakening? I'm cautiously optimistic since it seems to have a decent pedigree behind it. And the house looks almost exactly like it did in these first three films, so that's a nostalgia bonus at least.
I had never heard of it until I read your post.

In fact, I just looked, and I had no idea that there are 12 total Amityville movies out there, not counting the one that you mentioned above. I was only aware of the three movies in this Scream Factory set and the 2005 remake (which I've never seen).
Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #446
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I had never heard of it until I read your post.

In fact, I just looked, and I had no idea that there are 12 total Amityville movies out there, not counting the one that you mentioned above. I was only aware of the three movies in this Scream Factory set and the 2005 remake (which I've never seen).
Ah. Well yes, those are the only ones that got theatrical releases. One of the direct-to-video ones isn't even out on DVD in Region 1, afaik. All the made-for-TV/Direct to Video ones are pretty awful, but some of them are at least amusingly bad - especially the fourth one, with the demonically-possessed floor lamp.

I didn't care for the 2005 remake at all - too many silly changes to the original story and cheap jump scares for my taste - but some people find it better than the original. The new one is an original story coming from Blumhouse and the director of the Maniac remake, so I'm holding out some hope for it. It can't possibly be worse than Amityville Dollhouse...
Thanks given by:
The Great Owl (09-16-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #447
Special Member

Mar 2011

On sale on Amazon for $33.49. Finally bit!
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange. Replacement Sleeve Insert for Criterion's "Chungking Express" and Digipak for "The Third Man".
Old 10-06-2014, 01:55 AM   #448
Special Member

Mar 2011

Are there any screenshot comparisons between the first film's MGM release and the Shout Factory release?
Wanted: Warner Bros UK 90th Anniversary slipcovers for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, and A Clockwork Orange. Replacement Sleeve Insert for Criterion's "Chungking Express" and Digipak for "The Third Man".
Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #449

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
Are there any screenshot comparisons between the first film's MGM release and the Shout Factory release?
The transfer is the same, to me this movie actually benefits from not looking to crisp & clean, it adds to the atmosphere.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America