Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
19 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
15 hrs ago
22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #961
Special Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouCoupDinkyDau View Post
I was quite the opposite. My family fell asleep watching it, and I had a really hard time not nodding off myself.

After seeing the lackluster RoboCop remake recently, I'd have to say that in a battle of remakes between those two, I'd give RoboCop the crown.

Why did you feel it was better than the original film?
Visually & thematically, I liked this TR better - I felt that the story, cityscapes, effects, chase scenes, & robotic soldiers were all amazing.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #962
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Visually & thematically, I liked this TR better - I felt that the story, cityscapes, effects, chase scenes, & robotic soldiers were all amazing.
The story was weaker than the original film. They did use an interesting gimmick (elevator through the earth), but for me that's all it was: a gimmick. It was a standard haves/have-nots plot rather than the semi-complex political commentary offered up in the first film. Elysium did a better job with the same basic story used in this new Recall, and still didn't do much to distinguish itself with it.

As for F/X and action choreography, of course they're going to be better. But elaborate sci-fi worlds are a dime a dozen anymore. Every future world that's been built through a computer looks amazing these days. I would rather see a movie with a more fleshed-out world (Looper; Dredd) with less CG than a superficial one populated with a bunch of flying junk to distract the audience. Don't get me wrong, I like a visually impressive world, but I would rather the world be treated like a character of its own than just have a few buckets of CGI paint thrown on it.

Additionally, I couldn't root for anyone in this movie. The characters were uninteresting, and while the performances were competent they mostly felt phoned in. I'm making this assessment without comparing these reimagined characters to the old ones. For example, I thought the Fright Night remake was pretty decent, and the reimagining of Peter Vincent was fun. And even though I felt the new RoboCop was just "okay" at best, I liked the new direction they took with Bob Morten. But there's nobody to like in this new Recall. It's all the usual pretty faces without any of the fun. At least the new Vincent was hoot, at least the new Morten was a morally conflicted man I found myself siding with.
I mostly come out at night...mostly.

Last edited by BouCoupDinkyDau; 03-03-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #963
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

You can't argue taste. AW liked it, you didn't. But to say it didn't have a plot is absurd. It was a remake, not a reboot. It had the same plot as the original. And, yes, that's a plot. It wasn't an attempt to send anything off in a new direction because it wasn't a series, it was a one-shot deal. They took the original story, changed a few peripherals, added modern SFX and shot it. That's what bugs a lot of people who were looking for something new - but that wasn't the intention of this film.

Having said that, when I saw this on TV, I didn't like it. Thread comments and an on-again, off-again appreciation of Colin Farrell caused me to buy the BD when it fell to $5.13. I kept it - mostly for the SFX and the hot chicks (Kate Beckinsale kicked ass) - but it'll never be in heavy rotation. Something about the film just doesn't click and it's probably Colin Farrell's fault. He doesn't seem up to carrying a film like, say, Arnold was. He's a nice sidebar in a film (see the remake of Minority Report), but of late he seems to be some kind of in a rut. So, that's my two bits, but I'm happy for the folks who think more of it.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #964
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
But to say it didn't have a plot is absurd. It was a remake, not a reboot. It had the same plot as the original
I didn't say it didn't have a plot, I said the story was weaker. Plot and story aren't the same thing.

But it is true that you can't argue taste. Either way, this will be a film nobody will remember in a couple of years (if very many know of its existence even now). That says something about it.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #965
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't have a plot, I said the story was weaker. Plot and story aren't the same thing.

But it is true that you can't argue taste. Either way, this will be a film nobody will remember in a couple of years (if very many know of its existence even now). That says something about it.
I ... Well, you didn't reedit your post so I'm not sure where the plot thing came from. It was 5 degrees wind chill here this morning, maybe my brain was still frozen. Hopefully there's no (more) permanent damage.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #966
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Zeta II Reticuli

Quote:
I ... Well, you didn't reedit your post so I'm not sure where the plot thing came from. It was 5 degrees wind chill here this morning, maybe my brain was still frozen. Hopefully there's no (more) permanent damage.
lol
Old 03-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #967
Special Member

Oct 2012
NC

Was at Target and got surprised they had 4-5 copies w/slipcovers of the Target Exclusive. Thought this edition was hard to find.

Last edited by FilmEntertainment; 09-24-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #968
Special Member

Aug 2011
Missouri

I was thinking about picking this up. What's the deal with this Mastered in 4K releases? Is it any different than the original BD release? I'm lost.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM   #969
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Either way, this will be a film nobody will remember in a couple of years (if very many know of its existence even now). That says something about it.
This is is your opinion. It's not everybody's opinion. I enjoyed it on its own merits. It had some great action, amazing effects, and I think it handled the source material well. Sure there were some plot holes/lapses in logic, like many action films, but I will certainly remember this. The Fall alone was something well worth seeing for fans of sci-fi. And this is coming from someone who has always loved the original (even saw it in the theatre when it first ran).
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #970

Oct 2010

Which version of the film is redeemed with the ultraviolet code? I'm assuming theatrical only, but just wanted to be sure.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #971
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

Holy flashing screens.. I hope no epileptics saw this? I'm not 5 min in when I'm flashed a few times lol

I haven't seen the original as well and I picked this up on a blind buy from walmart I do remember the preview of it when I went to see Skyfall.
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Old 09-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #972
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

These are the worst most pointless types of remakes just because the plot is so lazy. It doesn't help things either when the characters are bland and the visuals/designs and cinematography generic.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #973
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

The lens flares in this movie are so overdone.. It had me thinking where the hell is the light source? then you are thinking who is shining a flashlight at the camera?

Then Kate's in what seems to be un-destructible I had to laugh when she fell in from the rooftop onto the table.
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #974
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
The lens flares in this movie are so overdone.. It had me thinking where the hell is the light source? then you are thinking who is shining a flashlight at the camera?
I hate this affectation, too. Some behind-the-scenes documentaries show technicians literally pointing lights at the camera while rolling. I don't watch movies to get blinded.
Happy Holidays to Blu Titan, crazyBLUE, hidef al, and neoz! :)
Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #975
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
I hate this affectation, too. Some behind-the-scenes documentaries show technicians literally pointing lights at the camera while rolling. I don't watch movies to get blinded.
But it's like what's the point of it? I don't get it.. what were they trying to achieve?
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Old 09-25-2014, 01:27 AM   #976
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
But it's like what's the point of it? I don't get it.. what were they trying to achieve?
It's ... art, it's ... style - and you don't get to question art or style unless you're a big-time NY or Hollywood reviewer.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #977
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
It's ... art, it's ... style - and you don't get to question art or style unless you're a big-time NY or Hollywood reviewer.
lol sadly this tends to be true!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (09-25-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America