Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #141
BaerGriggs BaerGriggs is online now
Special Member
 
BaerGriggs's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Columbia, MO
36
279
5
1
36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSOTM View Post
Any thoughts on this?



So is Breaking Bad actually available in 4K on that media player?
Yes. Albeit for $3.99 an episode, just for a 24-hour rental. You can buy movies for $29.99, but not certain about TV episodes/seasons.
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #142
TDSOTM TDSOTM is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
Yes. Albeit for $3.99 an episode, just for a 24-hour rental. You can buy movies for $29.99, but not certain about TV episodes/seasons.
Thanks for the info. Is the entire show available in 4K, or just the final season?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #143
BaerGriggs BaerGriggs is online now
Special Member
 
BaerGriggs's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Columbia, MO
36
279
5
1
36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSOTM View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the entire show available in 4K, or just the final season?
That I do not know. I just got that info from an article released a few months ago about the show in 4K.
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #144
jordanwalkert jordanwalkert is online now
Senior Member
 
jordanwalkert's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
5
3
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert
Default

I remember listening to the insider podcast during season 5a I believe, where they were talking about the show's filming process. At that time they had mentioned they only had 2k scans of the show. They said if they wanted to upgrade to 4k they would have to go back and rescan all of the negatives. I highly doubt they could or would have done a complete 4k remaster that fast. The main reason we didn't get those new 4k master discs that everyone wanted with the barrel, is because they don't exist. The last season might be 4k, but all of them prior were scanned at 2k and since this is a very large tv series and not a 2 hour movie- it will take them quite awhile to go back and redo everything in 4k.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #145
TDSOTM TDSOTM is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2013
Default

Yeah, the show supposedly had a 2K DI, up to and including 5A at least .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Doesn't this mean they would have to redo/upscale all the visual effects?

Last edited by TDSOTM; 12-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #146
Villiam Hayes Villiam Hayes is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Villiam Hayes's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Northern Ireland
15
435
6
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalkert View Post
I remember listening to the insider podcast during season 5a I believe, where they were talking about the show's filming process. At that time they had mentioned they only had 2k scans of the show. They said if they wanted to upgrade to 4k they would have to go back and rescan all of the negatives. I highly doubt they could or would have done a complete 4k remaster that fast. The main reason we didn't get those new 4k master discs that everyone wanted with the barrel, is because they don't exist. The last season might be 4k, but all of them prior were scanned at 2k and since this is a very large tv series and not a 2 hour movie- it will take them quite awhile to go back and redo everything in 4k.
Probably very true but it wouldn't surprise me if or when these turn up and have people double dipping for the upgrade,I can see this happening slowly but surely with more movies.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #147
MifuneFan MifuneFan is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
282
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalkert View Post
I remember listening to the insider podcast during season 5a I believe, where they were talking about the show's filming process. At that time they had mentioned they only had 2k scans of the show. They said if they wanted to upgrade to 4k they would have to go back and rescan all of the negatives. I highly doubt they could or would have done a complete 4k remaster that fast. The main reason we didn't get those new 4k master discs that everyone wanted with the barrel, is because they don't exist. The last season might be 4k, but all of them prior were scanned at 2k and since this is a very large tv series and not a 2 hour movie- it will take them quite awhile to go back and redo everything in 4k.
The 4K masters do exist for early seasons, hence why they're available digitally through the Sony 4K device since September...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #148
jordanwalkert jordanwalkert is online now
Senior Member
 
jordanwalkert's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
5
3
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The 4K masters do exist for early seasons, hence why they're available digitally through the Sony 4K device since September...

Can you actually confirm that? They could have very easily just upscaled the 2k masters for the earlier seasons. Unless of course you have a link or some type of proof other than Sony's joke of a 4k store, that they have already invested in re-scans of everything. Just because Sony put something in their store, something VERY few people have actually seen- doesn't mean it's a legitimate 4k source.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #149
MifuneFan MifuneFan is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
282
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalkert View Post
Can you actually confirm that? They could have very easily just upscaled the 2k masters for the earlier seasons. Unless of course you have a link or some type of proof other than Sony's joke of a 4k store, that they have already invested in re-scans of everything. Just because Sony put something in their store, something VERY few people have actually seen- doesn't mean it's a legitimate 4k source.
You can't be serious...By your logic, Sony could be lying about many of the Mastered in 4K Blu-rays too. What proof is there that those are definitely from 4K scans, and not elaborately upscaled 2K masters? They've announced months ago that Breaking Bad would be mastered in 4K, just like several other mastered in 4K movies, so why would there be any need to question it?

It's an incredibly poor line of thinking, and I see no reason whatsoever to think for a second that they'd do that. Just because you cant wrap your head around the fact that they've scanned the earlier seasons in 4K already, you accuse them of lying about? Pretty ridiculous to say the least...

Just Wow....
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #150
MifuneFan MifuneFan is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
282
14
Default

Oh, and for the pièce de résistance. Here is actual visual proof of Breaking Bad being remastered in 4K at Sony's studio. Not that you should require any sort of hard proof for this, but a simple google search would have easily provided you with the answer, just as it did for me.



Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ou-should-care

(In before Trusted Reviews gets called out for that picture)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #151
rickah88 rickah88 is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
rickah88's Avatar
 
May 2010
Columbia, MD
1550
183
2
83
Default

^^ Are you kidding me...that's looks DNR'd to death!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #152
MifuneFan MifuneFan is online now
Blu-ray Baron
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
282
14
Default

Skylar White shoots first!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #153
TheHighRoller TheHighRoller is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
TheHighRoller's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Chicago
229
14
1
3
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
How can you even compare it to that reality-TV filth?

If you say it glorifies drug use, you haven't given it enough of a chance, because thats just not true.

I own seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray, finished watching 3 and 4 on netflix.

If there are no new extras included with the 4K editions, I won't be double dipping (and will probably just buy the older, cheaper seasons 3 and 4 down the road). I had no issues with how the first 2 seasons looked.
I think this is a good show, but it's WAYYYY overrated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #154
Jar Jar Stinks Jar Jar Stinks is online now
Special Member
 
Jar Jar Stinks's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
21
466
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
I think this is a good show, but it's WAYYYY overrated.
What shows do you like?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #155
jordanwalkert jordanwalkert is online now
Senior Member
 
jordanwalkert's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
5
3
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Oh, and for the pièce de résistance. Here is actual visual proof of Breaking Bad being remastered in 4K at Sony's studio. Not that you should require any sort of hard proof for this, but a simple google search would have easily provided you with the answer, just as it did for me.



Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ou-should-care

(In before Trusted Reviews gets called out for that picture)

Relax guy. It wouldn't be the first time a studio has exaggerated something to the masses for business. Thank you for the photo but geesh, don't get so defensive about this stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #156
TDSOTM TDSOTM is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2013
Default

Is anyone willing to post screenshots from the 4K remaster? I assume there's quite a few people on here who have already bought that 4K media player.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #157
mredman mredman is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jun 2008
1
7
Default

my blu ray sets is enough. No need to upgrade when the show looks good on a projector screen. I really think this 4K stuff will be a big flop. People that already own the blu ray sets is not gonna buy 4K when they are already happy with the PQ. Its not like blu rays look like DVD. Blu Ray is HD for crying out loud
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 PM.