Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #141
Special Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSOTM View Post
Any thoughts on this?

So is Breaking Bad actually available in 4K on that media player?
Yes. Albeit for $3.99 an episode, just for a 24-hour rental. You can buy movies for $29.99, but not certain about TV episodes/seasons.
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #142

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
Yes. Albeit for $3.99 an episode, just for a 24-hour rental. You can buy movies for $29.99, but not certain about TV episodes/seasons.
Thanks for the info. Is the entire show available in 4K, or just the final season?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #143
Special Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSOTM View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the entire show available in 4K, or just the final season?
That I do not know. I just got that info from an article released a few months ago about the show in 4K.
AVR: Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 Receiver
Speakers: Pioneer BS-21 Bookshelves/C-21 Center 5.1 Setup
TV: LG PA5500 50" Plasma
Blu-ray: Playstation 3 Super-Slim 500 GB
Satellite: Dish VIP722
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598/Koss KSC75 modded
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 kHz/24-bit
Amp: Outlaw RR2150 Stereo
Old 12-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #144

Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert

I remember listening to the insider podcast during season 5a I believe, where they were talking about the show's filming process. At that time they had mentioned they only had 2k scans of the show. They said if they wanted to upgrade to 4k they would have to go back and rescan all of the negatives. I highly doubt they could or would have done a complete 4k remaster that fast. The main reason we didn't get those new 4k master discs that everyone wanted with the barrel, is because they don't exist. The last season might be 4k, but all of them prior were scanned at 2k and since this is a very large tv series and not a 2 hour movie- it will take them quite awhile to go back and redo everything in 4k.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #145

May 2013

Yeah, the show supposedly had a 2K DI, up to and including 5A at least .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Doesn't this mean they would have to redo/upscale all the visual effects?

Last edited by TDSOTM; 12-21-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #146
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanwalkert View Post
I remember listening to the insider podcast during season 5a I believe, where they were talking about the show's filming process. At that time they had mentioned they only had 2k scans of the show. They said if they wanted to upgrade to 4k they would have to go back and rescan all of the negatives. I highly doubt they could or would have done a complete 4k remaster that fast. The main reason we didn't get those new 4k master discs that everyone wanted with the barrel, is because they don't exist. The last season might be 4k, but all of them prior were scanned at 2k and since this is a very large tv series and not a 2 hour movie- it will take them quite awhile to go back and redo everything in 4k.
Probably very true but it wouldn't surprise me if or when these turn up and have people double dipping for the upgrade,I can see this happening slowly but surely with more movies.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #147
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
The 4K masters do exist for early seasons, hence why they're available digitally through the Sony 4K device since September...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #148

Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jordanwalkert Send a message via Skype™ to jordanwalkert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
The 4K masters do exist for early seasons, hence why they're available digitally through the Sony 4K device since September...

Can you actually confirm that? They could have very easily just upscaled the 2k masters for the earlier seasons. Unless of course you have a link or some type of proof other than Sony's joke of a 4k store, that they have already invested in re-scans of everything. Just because Sony put something in their store, something VERY few people have actually seen- doesn't mean it's a legitimate 4k source.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #149
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Can you actually confirm that? They could have very easily just upscaled the 2k masters for the earlier seasons. Unless of course you have a link or some type of proof other than Sony's joke of a 4k store, that they have already invested in re-scans of everything. Just because Sony put something in their store, something VERY few people have actually seen- doesn't mean it's a legitimate 4k source.
You can't be serious...By your logic, Sony could be lying about many of the Mastered in 4K Blu-rays too. What proof is there that those are definitely from 4K scans, and not elaborately upscaled 2K masters? They've announced months ago that Breaking Bad would be mastered in 4K, just like several other mastered in 4K movies, so why would there be any need to question it?

It's an incredibly poor line of thinking, and I see no reason whatsoever to think for a second that they'd do that. Just because you cant wrap your head around the fact that they've scanned the earlier seasons in 4K already, you accuse them of lying about? Pretty ridiculous to say the least...

Just Wow....
Old 12-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #150
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Oh, and for the pièce de résistance. Here is actual visual proof of Breaking Bad being remastered in 4K at Sony's studio. Not that you should require any sort of hard proof for this, but a simple google search would have easily provided you with the answer, just as it did for me.

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ou-should-care

(In before Trusted Reviews gets called out for that picture)
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #151
Blu-ray Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

^^ Are you kidding me...that's looks DNR'd to death!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #152
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Skylar White shoots first!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #153
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmycon View Post
How can you even compare it to that reality-TV filth?

If you say it glorifies drug use, you haven't given it enough of a chance, because thats just not true.

I own seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray, finished watching 3 and 4 on netflix.

If there are no new extras included with the 4K editions, I won't be double dipping (and will probably just buy the older, cheaper seasons 3 and 4 down the road). I had no issues with how the first 2 seasons looked.
I think this is a good show, but it's WAYYYY overrated.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #154
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighRoller View Post
I think this is a good show, but it's WAYYYY overrated.
What shows do you like?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #155

Feb 2011
Des Moines, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Oh, and for the pièce de résistance. Here is actual visual proof of Breaking Bad being remastered in 4K at Sony's studio. Not that you should require any sort of hard proof for this, but a simple google search would have easily provided you with the answer, just as it did for me.

Source: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ou-should-care

(In before Trusted Reviews gets called out for that picture)

Relax guy. It wouldn't be the first time a studio has exaggerated something to the masses for business. Thank you for the photo but geesh, don't get so defensive about this stuff.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #156

May 2013

Is anyone willing to post screenshots from the 4K remaster? I assume there's quite a few people on here who have already bought that 4K media player.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #157
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

my blu ray sets is enough. No need to upgrade when the show looks good on a projector screen. I really think this 4K stuff will be a big flop. People that already own the blu ray sets is not gonna buy 4K when they are already happy with the PQ. Its not like blu rays look like DVD. Blu Ray is HD for crying out loud
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America