Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 2 Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$174.99
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.90
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Mulholland Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #401
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Funny. Watching this again, and, noticed that every time Charlie opens a chocolate bar, he litters; in his house, or on the street, he opens the wrapper and just drops the paper. Its awesome watching him do it in his own house when there's a trash pail nearby
Lets face it, the child is pure white trash. and honestly he didn't deserve that factory. He still broke rules. His family is gonna move in there are the whole place was gonna look like a tornado blew thru it. The oompa loompas are gonna die from how unclean the place is gonna be. when the grandparents die they are are just gonna thru them in the choco-river instead of a decent burial. The place is gonna go to sh*t pretty quick.

While Veruka may have been spoiled she could take the factory on balls to the wall. Sure she would probably throw out the current help and hire cheaper workers. She would start out young but she would be the devil wears gobstopper in the end.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Thanks given by:
Donat96 (01-22-2015), hasslein (01-20-2015), Luke B. (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #402
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Lets face it, the child is pure white trash. and honestly he didn't deserve that factory. He still broke rules. His family is gonna move in there are the whole place was gonna look like a tornado blew thru it. The oompa loompas are gonna die from how unclean the place is gonna be. when the grandparents die they are are just gonna thru them in the choco-river instead of a decent burial. The place is gonna go to sh*t pretty quick.

While Veruka may have been spoiled she could take the factory on balls to the wall. Sure she would probably throw out the current help and hire cheaper workers. She would start out young but she would be the devil wears gobstopper in the end.
Haaaaaahaaaa this was awesome
Old 01-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #403

Sep 2014
Brazil

Some months ago I wanted to re-watch it, and when it finished, I decided to not buy the collector's edition box, but, the standard edition. After all, I saw that it isn't that great film I thought it was when I was a child. And i'm still thinking if I buy the standard edition or if I use the money to buy other film which I really like and think it's very good.
Actually, I prefer Tim Burton's version, but this one is cool too.
Thanks given by:
ryanmj1993 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 AM   #404
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke B. View Post
Some months ago I wanted to re-watch it, and when it finished, I decided to not buy the collector's edition box, but, the standard edition. After all, I saw that it isn't that great film I thought it was when I was a child. And i'm still thinking if I buy the standard edition or if I use the money to buy other film which I really like and think it's very good.
This is a classic IMO. There were many redeeming qualities about the movie and music; very little in the Burton version.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 AM   #405

May 2013

This film is indeed a classic; one of the most wonderful kids' films for adults ever made. Burton's film, however, is the worst remake this side of Stallone's GET CARTER. Johnny Depp's horrendous "interpretation" and Danny Elfman's woefully uninspired score really send it straight into the bin, burying the (very) few good moments within.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (01-21-2015), whatever_gong82 (06-07-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:02 AM   #406
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaverBoy View Post
This film is indeed a classic; one of the most wonderful kids' films for adults ever made. Burton's film, however, is the worst remake this side of Stallone's GET CARTER. Johnny Depp's horrendous "interpretation" and Danny Elfman's woefully uninspired score really send it straight into the bin, burying the (very) few good moments within.
Just listen to the awesome yell Wonka (Wilder) does at the end of the Wondrous Boat Ride song. Right after the line, "...and they're certainly not showing, any signs that they are slowing! Aeaeeaeaeaeaeaeaeae!!!"

It's frikkin priceless!! Depp has nnnnnnothing on Wilder
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 02:42 AM   #407

Sep 2014
Brazil

Quote:
Just listen to the awesome yell Wonka (Wilder) does at the end of the Wondrous Boat Ride song. Right after the line, "...and they're certainly not showing, any signs that they are slowing! Aeaeeaeaeaeaeaeaeae!!!"

It's frikkin priceless!! Depp has nnnnnnothing on Wilder
I have to say that I love the elevator scene at the end, it kinda makes me feel emotional, but, I don't know why I don't think of it anymore as a great film.
Maybe I'll have to re-watch it again and again, after all, it was one of my favorite films in my childhood, since the day I saw it on TV for the first time.
I remember my mom said: watch it, I think you're gonna like it, I saw it when I was a child and I liked it, it's cool.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #408
Suspended

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

I wish I could find the DigiBook of this, but at a cheap price, not the $40.oo that FYE wants...
Old 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #409

Sep 2014
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
I wish I could find the DigiBook of this, but at a cheap price, not the $40.oo that FYE wants...
I don't know what FYE is, but, the bd-book is $18,51 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Willy-Chocolat...dp/B0021L9MO6/
Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #410
Special Member

Jan 2012
Atlanta, GA
Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinDeluxe

Quote:
I actually have it but haven't opened it yet :P

Love this movie. I find it kind of funny though that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is really about Charlie and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is really about Willy Wonka. :P
Thanks given by:
Luke B. (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #411
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinDeluxe View Post
I actually have it but haven't opened it yet :P

Love this movie. I find it kind of funny though that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is really about Charlie and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is really about Willy Wonka. :P
Yeah. Good observation.
I recently sold my blu of the remake, cuz I just love the 1971 film because of Gene Wilder
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #412
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Yeah. Good observation.
I recently sold my blu of the remake, cuz I just love the 1971 film because of Gene Wilder
A year or so ago I found the Beetlejuice / Charlie & the Chocolate Factory / The Corpse Bride triple feature at Wal-Mart for $12.96. I figured for a few bucks I could live with the lesser remake.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #413
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Yes, the Michael Jackson act got old fast as did the songs...ugh!
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #414

Nov 2009
No.

I've been re-reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator recently. My God, is that book crap. No wonder they never did a follow-up film with it.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #415
Special Member

Nov 2013
At the end of a Cape

Quote:
I'd been waiting for a price dip on this for a year and finally just after Black Friday (Dec 1st) Amazon ran a sale of some WB digibooks. Was able to get Wonka for $12.96 and Doctor Zhivago for $13.99.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #416
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke B. View Post
At the age of 33 I still enjoy the hell out of this version. When you really break it down, simply put, Gene Wilder is awesome in just about everything.
Thanks given by:
Luke B. (01-23-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #417

Jan 2013

Quote:
No, while Im not a huge fan of Burton's reimagining of it, his POTA remake was about the worst remake ever made

The great thing about this film is that its been a favorite of mine since I was a child, though for different reasons such as wanting to tour the factory and load up on sweets... Now I laugh at the over the top absurdness of the golden ticket mania more than anything. And what a douche Grandpa Joe is, invalid for years in bed with the other grandparents, smelling up the joint... but the second Charlie wins the ticket he's dancing around like he's on broadway screaming I'VE got a golden ticket... that's Charlie's damn ticket you old fart.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #418
Special Member

Nov 2013
At the end of a Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman73 View Post
No, while Im not a huge fan of Burton's reimagining of it, his POTA remake was about the worst remake ever made

The great thing about this film is that its been a favorite of mine since I was a child, though for different reasons such as wanting to tour the factory and load up on sweets... Now I laugh at the over the top absurdness of the golden ticket mania more than anything. And what a douche Grandpa Joe is, invalid for years in bed with the other grandparents, smelling up the joint... but the second Charlie wins the ticket he's dancing around like he's on broadway screaming I'VE got a golden ticket... that's Charlie's damn ticket you old fart.
Ahh, you gotta love the modern take on this classic movie lol.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 AM   #419
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman73 View Post

Haha I've read a lot of retrospective observations about Grandpa Joe over the last few years here on the Internet. Some of them are so funny that I was in stitches reading them.

Hell theres even a whole website dedicated to Grandpa Joe! Makes for some hilarious reading - http://saynotograndpajoe.com/
Old 01-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #420
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by solovoyager View Post
I'd been waiting for a price dip on this for a year and finally just after Black Friday (Dec 1st) Amazon ran a sale of some WB digibooks. Was able to get Wonka for $12.96 and Doctor Zhivago for $13.99.
Another place to keep an eye on for these digibooks is Walmart. I picked up Willy Wonka, Doctor Zhivago and A Star is Born (with Judy Garland) just after Black Friday for $12.96 each. That would be my guess why Amazon dropped their price ... to match Walmart.
So many blurays, so little time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America