Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
ESPN Films 30 for 30: Five-Year Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$22.99
About Schmidt (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.49
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$24.99
American Sniper (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Archer: The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 9-10 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #40561
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
The Ocean State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat III View Post
Haven't seen Let Me In, though it is a remake of Let the Right One In. I remember reviews were generally positive which is not true of most remakes.
I really enjoyed Let Me In, a great and very atmospheric film. I own Let the Right One In as well, but have yet to get around to viewing it.
”Always leave boiled rice out for mice and keep lamps dark out of pity for moths.” The ancients had this sort of concern, and it’s really the whole point of life, generation after generation. Without it, one can only be called a blockheaded carcass. - H.Z.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - T.P.
Thanks given by:
Sad Beautiful Tragic (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #40562
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Irwin View Post
I really enjoyed Let Me In, a great and very atmospheric film. I own Let the Right One In as well, but have yet to get around to viewing it.
Very atmospheric? Let Me In?

Youve got the wrong film there. You need to watch the one you havent seen.
Leo needs new shoes...
Thanks given by:
Thomas Irwin (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #40563
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDiGriz View Post
Very atmospheric? Let Me In?

Youve got the wrong film there. You need to watch the one you havent seen.
Yeah, Let Me In was pretty atmospheric. I thought setting it in the 80s was a fairly clever way of trying to replicate the 'other worldliness' of the original.

Let Me In/LTROI reminds me a lot of the two Insomnias. The originals are definitely better but the remakes hold up very well.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #40564
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Yeah, Let Me In was pretty atmospheric. I thought setting it in the 80s was a fairly clever way of trying to replicate the 'other worldliness' of the original.

Let Me In/LTROI reminds me a lot of the two Insomnias. The originals are definitely better but the remakes hold up very well.
One I had to own. The other? No thanks.
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #40565
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post

The original was also set in the 80s. Check to the dates on the newspaper clippings Oskar collects. It's also clear from the fashions (sweaters tucked into trousers) and historical events referred to on the news.

I really don't like Let Me In, I find it inferior to the original in almost every way. However I quite like the remake of Insomnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
How is Let the Right One In compared to Let Me In? I think I read they're the same movie?
70% of it restaged scenes almost exactly as they were in the original only with less verve (the swimming pool climax was far more powerful in the original). It replaces half of the cast with one cop and thereby removes the sense of a community being devastated and the social realism which made the contrast between the real and the supernatural so powerful in the original. The actress who played Eli felt genuinely unworldly and unpredictable in LTROI while Chloe Moretz gives a decent but very studied "child actor going dark" performance.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 01-27-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
octagon (Yesterday)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #40566
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla View Post
...And for that matter, pretty much every other good vampire movie ever made. Every at least decent adaptation of Dracula (Nosferatu '22, Dracula '31, Dracula '58, Nosferatu '79, Dracula '92), Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Interview with the Vampire, etc. The vampires have feelings, and often fall in love, in all of them.
Christopher Lee's Dracula in the 1958 Hammer version does not fall in love. He is incapable of love and pure evil and therefore his is one of the few portrayals which is relatively true to Bram Stoker's original novel.

As to Let the Right One In, I never quite understood why some people consider the central relationship a romantic one. Both children are pre-pubescent. They develop an intense co-dependent friendship. They play-act a romantic relationship as children of that age often do, but they (or at least Oskar) don't quite know yet what that means. We also can never be entirely sure about Eli's motives, though we can assume that she both likes and uses Oskar. There also is the complication hinted at in the film and elaborated on in the novel, that Eli
[Show spoiler]is a castrated boy
and that the bullied Oskar may be on the verge of figuring something out about his own sexuality. All of this makes it far more complicated than the teenage sap of Twilight.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 01-27-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #40567
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The original was also set in the 80s. Check to the dates on the newspaper clippings Oskar collects. It's also clear from the fashions (sweaters tucked into trousers) and historical events referred to on the news.

I really don't like Let Me In, I find it inferior to the original in almost every way. However I quite like the remake of Insomnia.

70% of it restaged scenes almost exactly as they were in the original only with less verve (the swimming pool climax was far more powerful in the original). It replaces half of the cast with one policeman and thereby removes the sense of a community being devastated and the social realism which made the contrast between the real and the supernatural so powerful in the original. The actress who played Eli felt genuinely unworldly and unpredictable in LTROI while Chloe Moritz gives a decent but very studied "child actor going dark" performance.
Listen to this guy. Everything about LTROI feels organic and has some of the best performances I've ever seen from children. The remake tries to replicate it and falters in almost every way.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #40568
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Now, I am not speaking as an actor here, so I could be way off-base, but I don't know that I am that impressed by method acting nor do I think that doing it makes one a better actor.

Let me note that I am referring to on-set antics, not intense preparation, which I certainly respect and see the use for.

Not to pick on DDL, but, quite frankly, you are not actually Christy Brown, pal. There was no need not to leave your wheelchair when the cameras weren't rolling and have all your meals spoon fed to you.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 PM   #40569
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
Now, I am not speaking as an actor here, so I could be way off-base, but I don't know that I am that impressed by method acting nor do I think that doing it makes one a better actor.

Let me note that I am referring to on-set antics, not intense preparation, which I certainly respect and see the use for.

Not to pick on DDL, but, quite frankly, you are not actually Christy Brown, pal. There was no need not to leave your wheelchair when the cameras weren't rolling and have all your meals spoon fed to you.
I don't know, actors that tend to be known for their "method acting" are some of the best at their craft. Even our beloved cage. As an almost completely uneducated fool on the subject (as I am), I could see how drastically important it must be to be in tune emotionally with the character you are playing. Especially in character driven dramas.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #40570
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:

Different actors get there via different means. Doesn't mean one approach is worse than another. And I think DDL is amazing in the role exactly because it doesn't feel like he is concentrating on getting cerebral palsy right while playing the man. That just comes as natural to the character but there are all these other complex emotions he conveys at the same time. So if he had to get there by staying in character throughout the shoot, I think it was worth it.
Thanks given by:
LegacyCosts (01-27-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #40571
Special Member

Sep 2012
Sweden

Quote:
You know what he meant. But if we're going to pedantic, then, yeah, you're largely right.
Yes, I know he meant Twilight and similar works, but I disagree with him. It's fine to dislike the Twilight films (I myself have zero interest in ever seeing them), but when people point to the romantic elements and the fact that they're geared towards teenagers as their biggest problems I take issue with that. Vampires have been portrayed as emotional creatures for a very long time by now, and vampires as teen entertainment has been a thing since at least the '80s, with films like The Lost Boys.

Quote:
Christopher Lee's Dracula in the 1958 Hammer version does not fall in love. He is incapable of love and pure evil and therefore his is one of the few portrayals which is relatively true to Bram Stoker's original novel.
Point taken. It's been so long since I last saw the Hammer Dracula that I hardly remember it and assumed it would be basically the same as all the other versions. Apparently that was wrong, but I stand by the rest of my examples.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #40572
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
70% of it restaged scenes almost exactly as they were in the original only with less verve (the swimming pool climax was far more powerful in the original). It replaces half of the cast with one cop and thereby removes the sense of a community being devastated and the social realism which made the contrast between the real and the supernatural so powerful in the original. The actress who played Eli felt genuinely unworldly and unpredictable in LTROI while Chloe Moretz gives a decent but very studied "child actor going dark" performance.
I may have to watch this.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #40573
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
I may have to watch this.
Just don't blame me afterwards !
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #40574
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Just don't blame me afterwards !
Actually Todd, I'll probably start blaming you for all bad movies. Nothing personal, it's just your avatar is silly.
Old Today, 02:33 AM   #40575
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Australia

The Departed >>>> Goodfellas.
Old Today, 02:37 AM   #40576
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

I own and enjoy Newsies
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #40577

Aug 2013
Michigan, USA

The Faculty is my favorite Robert Rodriguez film.
Thanks given by:
Michael Bay Fan (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies