Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
2001: A Space Odyssey 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.94
6 hrs ago
Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.96
7 hrs ago
The Death of Superman (Blu-ray)
$17.96
21 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hell Night (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
DC Universe: 10th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99

Rabid (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$22.00

Mission: Impossible III 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Terminal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
I Kill Giants (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011
Criterion Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)

Two-Lane Blacktop Blu-ray

Quote:
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

Restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Monte Hellman, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Alternate 5.1 surround soundtrack, supervised by Hellman, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
Two audio commentaries: one by Hellman and filmmaker Allison Anders and one by screenwriter Rudolph Wurlitzer and author David N. Meyer
Interviews with Hellman, actor James Taylor, musician Kris Kristofferson, producer Michael Laughlin, and production manager Walter Coblenz
Screen test outtakes
Performance and Image, a look at the restoration of a ’55 Chevy used in the movie and the film’s locations today
Color Me Gone, photos and publicity from Two-Lane Blacktop
Trailer
PLUS: Rudy Wurlitzer’s screenplay, reprinted specially for this release; new essay by Kent Jones, appreciations by Richard Linklater and Tom Waits; and a reprint of the 1970 Rolling Stone article “On Route 66, Filming Two-Lane Blacktop”; ; the DVD edition also features Wurlitzer’s screenplay

Last edited by Scottie; 06-28-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Nov 2009
Richfield, MN

First!

This is stellar news!! Day one for me! I already own the limited edition numbered tin box DVD with commemorative keychain. Will gladly buy this.
"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"

Samsung LN40A750, Pioneer BDP-05FD
Yamaha RX-V663, Carver M1.0t (2)
Klipsch Cornwall, KSF C5, S1, KSW 200 (2)

My gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...ber=bsmith6470
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2011

Hurray. Though this is yet another situation where an import release (UK Masters of Cinema) has unique worthwhile extras, so big fans will need to splurge on both.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Jul 2012

Definitly the standout of the January lineup for me. Rented this without expecting much, mainly just for my Dad to watch, becuase most "car movies" don't really appeal to me. To my pleasent surprise, it was definitly very existential and deep. Thus, my Dad ended up being the disappointed one.

As with most Criterion titles, probably not a Day 1 for me, but definitly a sale pickup.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

I'm curious as to what the packaging is going to be like on this one. The 2007 DVD from Criterion included the screenplay, etc. and came in a remarkably bulky box which I wasn't too keen on, so I kept the Anchor Bay DVD I had. I'm hoping this will be like the Sweet Smell of Success blu which is a digipack "wrapped" around a thick booklet but is still quite compact.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Gonna suck that this will have to be a July sale purchase at B&N, unless there's an earlier, comparable sale.
SOTD: Sea of Light by Orlov Paris

deltasun's Bargain Bin
Twilight Time Titles for Sale

Interstellar 3-disc Edition - $7 shipped!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Expert Member

Sep 2010

Review, paragraph seven below first picture, you knew he'd get there eventually...
Insert sig here
Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

Will this go down by release week? I'd like to get it for my Dad, but I'm not going to pay $34.99 for it....
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #9

Nov 2012

Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Expert Member

Dec 2016

I liked this and Vanishing Point a great deal, but not enough to want to own them, yet.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #11

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

It's not a safe blind buy, Ray Jackson.
The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you.
Scottie's Storefront
Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #12

Jan 2016

This is a wonderful, haunting film that's one of the highlights of the '70s. Just beautiful.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #13

Jun 2013

I think this is one of those films where you find new things every time you view, hence it's very re-watchable. That said though, it's not for everybody's taste.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Illinois

My curiosity is getting piqued after reading these comments. I already have this in my collection on one format or another, but I let it slip thru the cracks and never played it.

I like coming across these reminders to watch something I own, but have since forgotten about. What film would pair well with this one for a double feature? I like to watch movies in pairs.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
My curiosity is getting piqued after reading these comments. I already have this in my collection on one format or another, but I let it slip thru the cracks and never played it.

I like coming across these reminders to watch something I own, but have since forgotten about. What film would pair well with this one for a double feature? I like to watch movies in pairs.
The aforementioned Vanishing Point, Easy Rider or Little Fauss & Big Halsey would make a good double-features with this film.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Illinois

I have all of those except for Little Fauss & Big Halsey (never heard of that one until now); added it to my wishlist.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will watch Vanishing Point and Two-Lane Blacktop tonight. Should one be watched before the other?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I have all of those except for Little Fauss & Big Halsey (never heard of that one until now).

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will watch Vanishing Point and Two-Lane Blacktop tonight. Should one be watched before the other?
Not really, no. Maybe watch TLB first in case you don't like it, you can cleanse your pallet with VP.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (07-16-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
Big Tuna, Texas

Does anyone have a strong opinion as to why the girl
[Show spoiler]ditched them in the end?

Do you think she was just bored, or was starting to feel something for James Taylor that she wasn't comfortable with?
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked.
Dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix.
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHVqxD8PNq8
Old 08-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

The girl to sort of quote a Fleetwood Mac song.. " Packing up and Shacking up..."

[Show spoiler]She was just always on the move to survive and go with the flow and probably gets bored easily and perhaps the new faded with hanging with Taylor and Wilson. She was a free spirit.

Its a period and time that is far gone. I love the pace of this film and the sparse dialogue. Its all about the mood for sure one of the greatest film time pieces of that era.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Denon X7200WA, Rotel-1582 mkll
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 07-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #20

May 2016
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
The girl to sort of quote a Fleetwood Mac song.. " Packing up and Shacking up..."

[Show spoiler]She was just always on the move to survive and go with the flow and probably gets bored easily and perhaps the new faded with hanging with Taylor and Wilson. She was a free spirit.

Its a period and time that is far gone. I love the pace of this film and the sparse dialogue. Its all about the mood for sure one of the greatest film time pieces of that era.
I must be dense or just really just missed the point of this movie, a friend recommended i pick it up because we were discussing other motor head type/road adventure flicks and as i had just picked up Vanishing Point and totally loved it and love counter culture stuff like Easy Rider, he suggested this movie to me and i blind bought it.... Easily the biggest disappointment i can recall in my overzealous buying binges the last 3 years since I switched to Blu. Wait, i did enjoy Oates performance to and extent (always enjoy WO in anything he was in), but otherwise this was completely wasted $ for me, need to throw mine up on ebay after the B&N sale ends.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America