Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
15 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
6 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
15 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
4 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
3 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #241
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

I watched this in 3D last night. My expectations were not high from reading the review here on blu-ray.com.

Was I surprised! Stunned, actually.

I thought the 3D was extremely impressive! My screen is a 55-inch LG passive display. I will use Star Trek Into Darkness 3D to WOW my guests on movie night!
Thanks given by:
Blu-Boy in BKK (07-05-2014)
Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #242

Sep 2013
WI

Isn't it great when you go into something with expectations that are not high?

Hype kills a lot of stuff.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #243
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Virginia

I just posted in another thread, but thought I'd share it here (for those unaware of it)....

Target has the 3D blu-ray sets on sale for 19.99 this week (including their exclusive set with bonus disc).

I apologize if this has already been stated elsewhere..just thought I'd share!

Rick
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #244
Special Member

Jan 2010
Minnesota

Hey guys.. Is this worth a blind buy? I thought the first was pretty good, an I am far from a Trekkie. actually thought the original show was a snoozer

But saw the 3d BR set at target today for $20
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #245

Oct 2013
Wisconsin, USA

I liked the first movie better, but this one is still fairly entertaining. You'll miss some of the references if you're not a trekkie, but its certainly not a requirement. Just don't expect to be wowed by the 3d.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #246
Expert Member

Sep 2013
De Pere, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
I liked the first movie better, but this one is still fairly entertaining. You'll miss some of the references if you're not a trekkie, but its certainly not a requirement. Just don't expect to be wowed by the 3d.
Exactly ... there's a few really good 3D moments here and there, but overall the 3D aspect of the film I would put in the "good ... not great" category.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #247

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticwaterfall View Post
Yeah it sort of felt like cardboard cut-outs in most scenes - dreadful.
Either film it in 3D or don't do 3D.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #248
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepeace View Post
Yeah it sort of felt like cardboard cut-outs in most scenes - dreadful.
Either film it in 3D or don't do 3D.
I honestly felt it was a quality conversion.

Also I would point out that just shooting native is not always the answer.

I saw a horrible native title last night (Amphibious) and a stunner of a conversion ( World War Z).
Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #249
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

I've been meaning to take pics of this, was quite busy the last few weeks.

Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Philips Hue mood lighting | Nvidia 3D Vision
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #250
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010

Sweet
Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #251
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Awesome Srinivas, pics look great!
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #252
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Thanks guys . Planning to do a long review sometime next week..
Optoma HD66 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver
PC (Nvidia GTX 460, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5, 32inch Sony Bravia as Monitor) | PS3 | XBOX360 | PS4 | Ultimate Ears 900 earphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express | iPad Air | iPhone 5 | iPod Classic | Macbook Air (mid 2012) |
Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #253
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I watched this the other night. I enjoyed the movie, but only thought the 3D was okay. There were some pretty cool, worthwhile-to-see scenes, but a lot of it was pop-up and that just doesn't do it for me. Now, the actually PQ of the movie was top notch - nice detail, rich color and contrast.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 108" wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 11-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #254
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Default Pop ins..

I think I may have invented a new term there ,but watching the start of Star Trek again I notice they make very good use of stuff floating INTO the tv.

I think I saw something like this too in the conversion for Kung Fu panda.

Anyway its really cool effect!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #255
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
I watched this in 3D last night. My expectations were not high from reading the review here on blu-ray.com.

I thought the 3D was extremely impressive! My screen is a 55-inch LG passive display. I will use Star Trek Into Darkness 3D to WOW my guests on movie night!
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
Hey guys.. Is this worth a blind buy? I thought the first was pretty good, an I am far from a Trekkie. actually thought the original show was a snoozer

But saw the 3d BR set at target today for $20
This was one of the best sci fi movies of the year IMO and I'm only a mild Trek fan, but this was much more exciting IMO than part one, thanks to Khan. Great story also with lots of nice turns and references to earlier scenes to pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
I think I may have invented a new term there ,but watching the start of Star Trek again I notice they make very good use of stuff floating INTO the tv.

I think I saw something like this too in the conversion for Kung Fu panda.

Anyway its really cool effect!
I will have to check it out again for this effect. I love the layering in this movie, where there's a very nice distance between each object in Trek Into Darkness 3D.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #256
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
The £كا
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Cool. This was one of the best sci fi movies of the year IMO and I'm only a mild Trek fan, but this was much more exciting IMO than part one, thanks to Khan. Great story also with lots of nice turns and references to earlier scenes to pay off.
I bought the Steelbook right when it came out, just couldn't get the wife to watch it yet.

Watched it last night, cranked up, in glorious 3D! Loved it. Very incredible sound and score.
3D was amazing throughout. Highly looking forward to a rewatch, soon.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #257
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray O. Blu View Post
I bought the Steelbook right when it came out, just couldn't get the wife to watch it yet.

Watched it last night, cranked up, in glorious 3D! Loved it. Very incredible sound and score.
3D was amazing throughout. Highly looking forward to a rewatch, soon.
Agreed. Upper medium to strong 3D layering in Star Trek Into Darkness's 3D.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #258
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

My review:

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Movie
Kobayashi Maru - A virtual simulation testing a Starfleet Academy cadet's performance in a no-win scenario. The purpose is to experience fear, fear in the face of certain death, to accept that fear and maintain control of oneself and one's crew.

Captain James Tiberius Kirk was reintroduced to audiences in 2009 whose personality exhibited qualities of leadership, unorthodox yet effective strategies in combat, a bold stature but at the same time was reckless, overconfident, impulsive, didn't obey orders and most importantly, he never understood the point of the Kobayashi Maru test. The Kirk that we know so far isn't fit to be assigned a 5-year mission into uncharted deep space. This is further established in the opening sequence of the movie where Kirk's recklessness and impulsive actions with no regard for consequences not only endanger Spock and the crew of the Enterprise but also alter the course of development of an entire civilization. The same sequence is further used to illustrate Spock's confusion about his mixed Vulcan/human heritage and whether or not he actually feels emotions. Star Trek: Into Darkness further develops the characters that were introduced in 2009 and shapes them into the ones we know from The Original Series.
This film is Kirk's Kobayashi Maru. We see him go from a reckless Captain who's angry at not being assigned the 5-year mission to a person who finally not only realizes the consequences of his actions but is truly tested when one of his loved ones is taken away by the film's antagonist. This is one of Kirk's defining moments where Spock's advice helps him to put aside feelings of revenge and hatred and do his duty as a Starfleet officer. Spock also learns to balance his feelings with Kirk and Uhura's help. This film needed to happen before the story went any further in order to mold Kirk and Spock, and also further develop their relationship which only began in Star Trek (2009). The film's antagonist is nothing but a catalyst to bring about this outcome. There's a moment in the third act when Kirk needs to do something necessary for the survival of his crew but extremely dangerous for him and before leaving, he tells Spock, "I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I only know what I can do. The ship needs somebody in the Captain's chair who knows what he's doing. That's not me..it's you Spock.". That's the moment Kirk for the first time in his life finally understands the meaning of being a Captain and the subtle-yet-brilliant score, the scenario and Kirk's development as a character make it one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.
J.J Abrams is one of the few directors who can brilliantly blend great lengths of character development into an exciting story without the need for overly long exposition or dialogue. There are hidden nuances that warrant a second viewing of the film. J.J usually crafts really exciting, chaotic and fast-paced action sequences in his films (with M.I 3's bridge sequence being one of the best) but the excitement is sorely lacking in most action sequences in this film. The problem is that the way they're edited not only brings down the pace but also dilutes the danger of each situation. Another problem is that environments are too 'stable' during most of said sequences. The antagonist is described by everybody in the film as a brilliant strategist but we never really see that in the movie and we merely see him adapting to the events that occur in the film. That being said, that doesn't matter much as the focal point of this film is the development of the two leads.

Needless to say, by the end of the movie, we can finally begin our adventure with Kirk and his crew in future films.

I rate Star Trek into Darkness 8.3/10. It's fun, fast paced, has great visuals, and is an interesting character study. There's a fine balance between the seriousness of the plot and the fun you expect from a Star Trek movie.

3D: 7/10
Video quality in 2D : 9/10
Video quality in 3D : 7.8/10

The quality of the conversion is actually quite remarkable but the problem lies with the way Star Trek: Into Darkness is framed. 3D requires medium shots and doesn't work well with close-ups as the viewer needs a view of the area surrounding the subject in order to differentiate the amount of space between the two. The shots are so closely framed that the background and midground objects aren't visible, thus rendering 3D ineffective due to the lack of perception of relative distance. Furthermore, even the long shots are so tightly framed that there are many instances where there's half an object or half a head literally sticking out of the screen. All of these problems are nonexistent in the taller IMAX version but the 2.39:1 widescreen 3D blu-ray is quite distracting. I'm a huge fan of 3D but for the first time I'm recommending to go with the 2D version. The 3D BD has also been artificially brightened a bit and the image looks washed out compared to the 2D BD.
I'm a fan of the way J.J moves the camera from side to side or follows the action by following up behind the characters in order to make the audience feel like they're part of the movie (and it's very effective) but it's the framing that's the 3D's Achilles' heel.

Audio: 8.2/10
This movie has great sound design with plenty of cross-speaker pans and accurate surround placement but there are two problems with this mix. Firstly, there's a bass filter limiting the subwoofer to frequencies only 30Hz and above which means most scenes such as the Enterprise rising out of the water have no real punch to them. The second issue is that the mix itself is rather loud with little to no Dynamic Range which makes it sound overblown and slightly screechy in the high frequencies even with the volume down. The high frequency unpleasantness is only further enhanced by the lack of lower frequencies due to the bass filter.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #259

Feb 2014

Ugh! I wish I would have gotten the phaser edition! Looks awesome!

I thought this was one of the best sci fi movies ive seen! I loved the first one and I thought thos one surpassed it! All that being said, im a star wars guy! Can't wait for episode 7!!!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #260
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

This is amazing news but, where's the IMAX 3d version??? Also I'm kicking myself for getting the out of print version of the first Star Trek movie when this new set has all the extras from it, but also I hope the rebate paramount is working on for people who already purchased Into Darkness is substantial. I'm feeling very happy and very mixed at the same time about all this

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/062314_0600
Thanks given by:
DB5 (06-28-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Tags
2013, abrams, into darkness, star trek