Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$15.79
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oliver & Company (Blu-ray)
$11.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 AM   #201
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

AMZ should match the 12.99 BB price.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #202
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

Now that Amazon has it for $12.99, I ordered. But can someone tell me whether the Blu-ray image quality is better than the Netflix quality -- enough to warrant a purchase? I really wish it had special features.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #203

Sep 2009
Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
Now that Amazon has it for $12.99, I ordered. But can someone tell me whether the Blu-ray image quality is better than the Netflix quality -- enough to warrant a purchase? I really wish it had special features.
I've seen in on Netflix at my brother's house. Although looking good there were naturally compression issues etc. The Blu-ray is excellent and looks razor sharp (but not artificially sharpened) due to the digital photography. It looks great projected on my 100" screen. That plus the lossless audio (main theme sounds exceptional) make it easy to recommend the buy if you like the show.
LATEST FOR SALE ITEMS:
Frozen: Collector's Edition (US BD/DVD/DC with slip) $17, Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition (US BD/DVD with slip) $15, Epic (US BD/DVD/UV) $10.
All new/sealed. Prices include shipping anywhere in Australia!

--| Sale/Trade thread - Steels & regular Blus! ...big update January 8! |--
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #204
Power Member

Sep 2009

I'm really happy with my blind buy, especially at that price. I have watched disc 1 over the past week and look forward to starting disc 2 tonight.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #205
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Chicago

I really wish this was the final packaging for the Blu-ray! Those photos are amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovolk View Post
Some photos from eBay of the 4-disc US DVD set that was sent out as part of Netflix's For Your Consideration push for the Emmys. Packaging should be the same on the US DVD, and with Slugline front cover art for Blu-ray.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #206

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexp80 View Post
I've seen in on Netflix at my brother's house. Although looking good there were naturally compression issues etc. The Blu-ray is excellent and looks razor sharp (but not artificially sharpened) due to the digital photography. It looks great projected on my 100" screen. That plus the lossless audio (main theme sounds exceptional) make it easy to recommend the buy if you like the show.
Ya the BD of house of cards is outstanding. It's sad it was giving a 4.5 while bitrate starved and over sharpened transfers like Man of Steel get 5.0.

Sony did a fantastic job and it is reference material for sure.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #207
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

"House of Cards" Season One Director's Commentary - Now Live Exclusively on Netflix

Starting today, director's commentary on the Emmy(R) Award-winning and Golden Globe(R) nominated first season of HOUSE OF CARDS is available exclusively for members in all territories where Netflix is available.

Audio commentary from all six season one directors, including: David Fincher ("The Social Network"), James Foley ("Glengarry Glen Ross"), Joel Schumacher ("Falling Down"), Charles McDougall ("The Good Wife"), Carl Franklin ("Homeland") and Allen Coulter ("The Sopranos"), is featured. Directory commentary is available as an option on the subtitle and alternate audio preference on Netflix.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #208
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Just found out about the commentary tracks, this is so awesome. It's exactly what I was hoping the BD would have. Can't wait to watch them all again with commentary in preparation for Season 2

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #209
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Just found out about the commentary tracks, this is so awesome. It's exactly what I was hoping the BD would have. Can't wait to watch them all again with commentary in preparation for Season 2
I knew this would happen. You can bet the commentary tracks will be on the inevitable double dip of the series on BD, along with the behind-the-scenes content you just know they shot. I cannot believe for a moment that a Fincher project doesn't have loads of stuff shot and edited and ready waiting in the wings. The first release was always a placeholder, like the first barebones release of Panic Room, years ago.

Unfortunately it seems clear the series will no longer end with this season. They sold it at the start as a proper narrative that would have an ending after two seasons, more like a miniseries, not a normal show that would run endlessly until every narrative strand got muddled and "Lost", so to speak Who knows when this content will make its way to BD, presumably in a complete series boxset.

Last edited by James Luckard; 01-09-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #210
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
"House of Cards" Season One Director's Commentary - Now Live Exclusively on Netflix

Starting today, director's commentary on the Emmy(R) Award-winning and Golden Globe(R) nominated first season of HOUSE OF CARDS is available exclusively for members in all territories where Netflix is available.

Audio commentary from all six season one directors, including: David Fincher ("The Social Network"), James Foley ("Glengarry Glen Ross"), Joel Schumacher ("Falling Down"), Charles McDougall ("The Good Wife"), Carl Franklin ("Homeland") and Allen Coulter ("The Sopranos"), is featured. Directory commentary is available as an option on the subtitle and alternate audio preference on Netflix.
Well, at least I only paid $12.99 for Season 1 on Blu-ray. And since I subscribe to Netflix streaming, I can listen to the commentaries -- which are probably a one-time listen.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #211
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Whoa. Now that's how you open a season. "Welcome back."
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #212
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

I finished Season 2 in three nights. The only problem with binge watching is that it's over so quickly. But I think Season 2 surpassed Season 1 -- especially with that stunning opening!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #213
Expert Member

Mar 2010
New York

Couldn't disagree more...
For Your Consideration...
Old 02-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #214

Dec 2013
Carcosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FestinaLente View Post
Whoa. Now that's how you open a season. "Welcome back."
I finished watching Season 2 last night. They took it up a quite a few notches. In the first episode,
[Show spoiler]I was waiting for the soliloquy. The whole episode I was waiting. Just when I almost thought Frank wasn't going to have one...

“You didn't think I'd forgotten about you? I bet you wish I had.”

Anyone sleeping on this show, don't. I'll wait till the box set.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #215

Aug 2012

What is this tv show like? I'm thinking about getting it but I haven't watched any episode and don't know if I'd like it or not. Is it too political?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #216
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoldindian View Post
What is this tv show like? I'm thinking about getting it but I haven't watched any episode and don't know if I'd like it or not. Is it too political?
If you mean is it liberal or conservative... Not at all. It's about the characters, it's not like The West Wing, which wears its politics on its sleeve. I didn't even learn Spacey's character's party (Democrat) until after watching season 1, it's just not relevant to what the show is exploring.

If you mean is it about politics, then yes. It's entirely about the inner workings of government, and how it's all just human rivalry and backstabbing and lying and favor trading, like every other workplace.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #217
Expert Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illy Scorsese View Post
Couldn't disagree more...
Yeah, I didn't enjoy S2 as much as the first. The middle episodes drag quite a bit. A couple of the subplots (
[Show spoiler]Lucas & Gavin and Rachel
) seemed to be there only to set up season 3's conflicts.
[Show spoiler]Gavin completely lost me with his dog barking stunt.
Cringeworthy. And I wanted more of the Frank and Claire night smokes. Those are some of my favorite scenes from Season 1. Claire is still my favorite character so I'm glad to see her play a bigger role this season.

On the other hand, there were some GREAT episodes. The premiere, of course, but also episodes

4:
[Show spoiler]Claire's admission during her CNN interview to having an abortion was very strategic, while still emotional. I was wondering how they were going to deal with General McGinnis. Well played, Claire. Those scenes in episode 2 with her very real visceral reaction to McGinnis' presence were wonderfully acted.

11:
[Show spoiler]Claire and Frank's seduction of Meechum was incredible. I loved how Beau didn't shy away from the interaction and really showed the power and relationship shift. And that morning after exchange between C and F is great. "You needed that." Great payoff to the S1 (E7?) episode with Frank's college relationship with his friend. Hope to see more of Meechum and his back story in season 3.

14:
[Show spoiler]The finale. I thought bringing Cathie Durant into the administration was expertly done and she'll probably play a bigger role in S3. Tusk got put in his place and seems to be on his way out. But poor Doug Couldn't overcome his creepy need for Tale of Two Cities recitations from women. What a gruesome shot that was of his body! Egad. If we weren't sure of his fate, that sure filled in the blanks. I'm looking forward to how Frank's administration takes charge. If the improved China relations are an indication, changes are coming in Season 3.

What were your favorite episodes?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #218
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

I agree Festina. Especially about the
[Show spoiler]Meechum
scene, it blew me away. And of course the
[Show spoiler]subway
scene. But the rest of it was too political for me to follow.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America