Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.49
Chinatown (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Independence Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Divergent Series: Allegiant (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Everybody Wants Some!! (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dirty Grandpa (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$47.99
Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Divergent Series: Allegiant 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.05
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #7021
ol_Dut ol_Dut is offline
Active Member
 
ol_Dut's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
2859
683
9
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
Apparently this is being released in Australia on the 6th of April by Umbrella Entertainment:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/nig...990/dp/6172493
Is this going to be the same as the TT version or not? That's the big question. If it has color timing more consistent with the dvd, I might have to grab this blu-ray version as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #7022
ol_Dut ol_Dut is offline
Active Member
 
ol_Dut's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
2859
683
9
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Something tells me we'll end up with the same master as the Twilight as Sony will be the ones deciding. Which would be a shame considering there is now a fan made blu-ray which did have the colors restored?

I own the movie on Columbia home video DVD and consider that transfer to be the correct "original" version. I've read that Savini got flack at the time for having shot the first part so bright and in sunlight and the producers weren't happy about it. Which led to the blue-tint revisionism version that would eventually get released on blu-ray. Personally I've always liked the way it starts off in full sunlight. And the colors on the DVD look great, there is no need for an additional blue filter.
Agreed. The movie is no less creepy/scary for having daytime scenes. I actually found it a nice change of pace from everything always being so darn dark all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #7023
klauswhereareyou klauswhereareyou is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
klauswhereareyou's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
372
Default

If it's not "BLUED" and is region free I'll get it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #7024
PuppetMasterBlu PuppetMasterBlu is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
PuppetMasterBlu's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
644
46
111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Something tells me we'll end up with the same master as the Twilight as Sony will be the ones deciding. Which would be a shame considering there is now a fan made blu-ray which did have the colors restored?

I own the movie on Columbia home video DVD and consider that transfer to be the correct "original" version. I've read that Savini got flack at the time for having shot the first part so bright and in sunlight and the producers weren't happy about it. Which led to the blue-tint revisionism version that would eventually get released on blu-ray. Personally I've always liked the way it starts off in full sunlight. And the colors on the DVD look great, there is no need for an additional blue filter.
Probably. That is the master they are using. The master with the correct color is an old master. Why would they use it after they spent time and money making this new one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #7025
halloween5309 halloween5309 is offline
Expert Member
 
Jan 2012
Default

im fine with the tt release but have not bought it due to price
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #7026
balthazar_bee balthazar_bee is offline
Power Member
 
balthazar_bee's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
Default

Night of the Living Thread!!! Amazing to think it's been more than three years since the ca-ca hit the fan about this release.

I'm pretty happy with TT's blu-ray; sure, the blueness feels a bit forced at times, but for the most part it's a satisfying presentation.

Having said that, I'm a bit of a fiend when it comes to owning different versions of the same films. (Don't ask how many copies of Alexander I own. Please don't.) So if it turns out to be a different transfer without the filters, I'd consider getting it. Why, I don't know. Because zombies? I ought to know better -- I've probably watched this release only twice since buying it; it just doesn't compare with the original.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #7027
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
Cevolution's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
80
1995
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Dut View Post
Is this going to be the same as the TT version or not? That's the big question. If it has color timing more consistent with the dvd, I might have to grab this blu-ray version as well.
This and other specs (such as whether it is region free or not) likely won't be known until it's released. A member of the Umbrella team does post here on occasion, perhaps between now and April 6 he might post some info.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (multi-region), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony ultimate remote + hub
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #7028
bigdaddyhorse bigdaddyhorse is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
SE MI.
705
1140
4
71
Default

Sony needs to get ahold of vidjunkie and get that color-correction his crew did. Perfect blend of the transfers IMO. Not too bright like the dvd, not too dark like the BD, but probably close to what the phoned in instructions were supposed to be for the BD master.

Maybe Sony was lurking around chat rooms like this and knows they blew the HD transfer so they'll redo it. I fear most likely they will just continue to use it. Gonna be interesting if nothing else, wonder if they'll have any new features.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #7029
klauswhereareyou klauswhereareyou is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
klauswhereareyou's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Sony needs to get ahold of vidjunkie and get that color-correction his crew did. Perfect blend of the transfers IMO. Not too bright like the dvd, not too dark like the BD, but probably close to what the phoned in instructions were supposed to be for the BD master.

Maybe Sony was lurking around chat rooms like this and knows they blew the HD transfer so they'll redo it. I fear most likely they will just continue to use it. Gonna be interesting if nothing else, wonder if they'll have any new features.
I would assume someone at Sony knows the transfer didn't meet expectations via Twilight Time. If the transfer was okay, I have no doubt Twilight Time would've probably reissued it like they did Fright Night.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #7030
dvdmike dvdmike is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
dvdmike's Avatar
 
Jun 2010
830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Sony needs to get ahold of vidjunkie and get that color-correction his crew did. Perfect blend of the transfers IMO. Not too bright like the dvd, not too dark like the BD, but probably close to what the phoned in instructions were supposed to be for the BD master.

Maybe Sony was lurking around chat rooms like this and knows they blew the HD transfer so they'll redo it. I fear most likely they will just continue to use it. Gonna be interesting if nothing else, wonder if they'll have any new features.
Would be good if they did, I have little faith.
But they did fix vampires before release
4k yes HDR no.
Physical media Fo lyfe.
The Scott Bros. do no wrong.
Dolby Vision is a company grasping at relevance.
Bring back and refine SXRD displays.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #7031
Davidian Davidian is online now
Expert Member
 
Davidian's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Perth
1059
1
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
This and other specs (such as whether it is region free or not) likely won't be known until it's released. A member of the Umbrella team does post here on occasion, perhaps between now and April 6 he might post some info.
And he did post. With good news too:

"Hey folks

Since it's out there

1. Master is from Sony and isn't the TT one, so colours are as they were and sound mix isn't their 5.1

2. There's going to be some ****ing great extras on here that we've put together (imho)

3. The illustrated covers (yes, plural) I've put together are probably the ones I'm most proud of so far

Cheers
Si
"

Simon Sherry
Umbrella Artist
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing.

4K UHD - The Experts Agree, Occasionally it's a little better!

Wanted: Ant-Man Steelbook (AU) For Trade: Avengers Steelbook (AU), Django Steelbook (AU)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
coldheart (02-11-2016), deepseababy (02-11-2016), donidarko (02-12-2016), Geoff D (02-11-2016), Ianzombie (02-11-2016), jws (02-12-2016), Markgway (02-11-2016), Mobe1969 (02-11-2016), Nocturnaloner (02-13-2016), PrestigeWorldwide (02-11-2016), The Fallen Deity (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #7032
jetthead jetthead is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
jetthead's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Ohio USA
1591
17
217
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
And he did post. With good news too:

"Hey folks

Since it's out there

1. Master is from Sony and isn't the TT one, so colours are as they were and sound mix isn't their 5.1

2. There's going to be some ****ing great extras on here that we've put together (imho)

3. The illustrated covers (yes, plural) I've put together are probably the ones I'm most proud of so far

Cheers
Si
"

Simon Sherry
Umbrella Artist


Will DEFINITELY pick this up!
SteelBooks™: 182

PRE-ORDERS
JUNE: 99 River Street, Hidden Fear, Shield for Murder, Too Late for Tears, Woman on the Run
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
coldheart (02-11-2016), Torrente (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #7033
Bumblefeet Bumblefeet is offline
Expert Member
 
Bumblefeet's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
265
Default

Most excellent news. Sooooo..... if Twilight still has the license option for the US, will they reissue their existing out of print "blued" release, or will they also resort to the other version or include it? After all Savini did approve the bluedness.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM   #7034
deepseababy deepseababy is offline
Active Member
 
deepseababy's Avatar
 
Aug 2015
Australia
161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol_Dut View Post
Agreed. The movie is no less creepy/scary for having daytime scenes. I actually found it a nice change of pace from everything always being so darn dark all the time.
That brings to mind the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. That film is the reason I now find intense sunlight more menacing than nighttime. Okay, not really, but it was such a clever move to depict most of a horror film in full sunlight. That infamous finale with Leatherface and Sally is so raw, you can feel the scorching Texas heat. It's just all so eerie and desolate. Another film I can think of that juxtaposes macabre horror and heat is the Australian film Wake in Fright.

P.S. Umbrella are really killing it. They may be Australia's answer to Arrow and Scream Factory.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (02-27-2016), Mobe1969 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #7035
Cortiz Cortiz is online now
Power Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Sunshine State
269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
And he did post. With good news too:

"Hey folks

Since it's out there

1. Master is from Sony and isn't the TT one, so colours are as they were and sound mix isn't their 5.1

2. There's going to be some ****ing great extras on here that we've put together (imho)

3. The illustrated covers (yes, plural) I've put together are probably the ones I'm most proud of so far

Cheers
Si
"

Simon Sherry
Umbrella Artist

Awesome, but he didn't say whether or not it would be region free
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #7036
stephenwilson04 stephenwilson04 is offline
Special Member
 
stephenwilson04's Avatar
 
Jan 2011
Scotland
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
And he did post. With good news too:

"Hey folks

Since it's out there

1. Master is from Sony and isn't the TT one, so colours are as they were and sound mix isn't their 5.1

2. There's going to be some ****ing great extras on here that we've put together (imho)

3. The illustrated covers (yes, plural) I've put together are probably the ones I'm most proud of so far

Cheers
Si
"

Simon Sherry
Umbrella Artist
Anyone know if the reverse cover will be free of the Australian rating logo?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #7037
simonsherry simonsherry is offline
Member
 
Feb 2015
Default

"Anyone know if the reverse cover will be free of the Australian rating logo?"

Yes, it will be. I bloody hate how much real estate they take up on the covers, so whenever we do a flip one, I take it off.

Cheers
Simon Sherry
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
badfingerboogie (02-27-2016), Markgway (02-11-2016), WaverBoy (02-15-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #7038
Region_unlocked Region_unlocked is offline
Senior Member
 
Jan 2014
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsherry View Post
"Anyone know if the reverse cover will be free of the Australian rating logo?"

Yes, it will be. I bloody hate how much real estate they take up on the covers, so whenever we do a flip one, I take it off.

Cheers
Simon Sherry
Do you have any info regarding region coding?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #7039
cine74 cine74 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
cine74's Avatar
 
Jun 2012
NJ
2027
661
49
Default

How about an unrated cut? I've read various articles over the years that talk about a workprint version, missing gore, things of that nature. A truly definitive release would include any cut footage. Although I gotta admit this release already sounds pretty exciting
I'm not a film aficionado. But I play one on the internet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #7040
bigdaddyhorse bigdaddyhorse is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
bigdaddyhorse's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
SE MI.
705
1140
4
71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
How about an unrated cut? I've read various articles over the years that talk about a workprint version, missing gore, things of that nature. A truly definitive release would include any cut footage. Although I gotta admit this release already sounds pretty exciting
The workprint is in very rough shape (old VHS quality) and I doubt it could be fixed enough to make an alternate version. The extra gore is nice, but kinda hard to even see on the WP I saw. You can probably find it online if ya look.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:44 PM.