Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$98.45
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
toddly6666 toddly6666 is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
toddly6666's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Hong Kong
20
889
57
224
59
Default Traveling with Multi-region Blu-ray Player question

If I ever move or live for an extended period of time, I really do not want to leave my multi-region Blu-ray players behind. Does anyone have any recommendations how to solve this?

I understand that a USA player wouldn't mix with a foreign TV, but would a USA player mix with any projector?

If I have a USA multi-region Blu-ray player, can I just take it with me if I ever move to any different country, get an outlet adapter, and attach it to a projector (a USA projector with an outlet adater or a projector from the native country)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Prim Prim is offline
Expert Member
 
Prim's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Norway
441
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
If I ever move or live for an extended period of time, I really do not want to leave my multi-region Blu-ray players behind. Does anyone have any recommendations how to solve this?

I understand that a USA player wouldn't mix with a foreign TV, but would a USA player mix with any projector?

If I have a USA multi-region Blu-ray player, can I just take it with me if I ever move to any different country, get an outlet adapter, and attach it to a projector (a USA projector with an outlet adater or a projector from the native country)?
I would think it depends on the country you want to move to, but if say, you took your Blu-Ray players to Norway, you would need a step transformer, not just a plug adapter. As long as you have that, you're good to go. A USA player would certainly mix with any TV bought here, as we have had both PAL and NTSC as standard for the last 15-20 years. It would be worse the other way around - say if you brought a BD player from EU that outputs 50hz (instead of converting it to 60hz) to be used in the States/Canada. But I don't know if all countries are as format friendly as we are here, that is something you would have to research a bit before moving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
toddly6666 toddly6666 is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
toddly6666's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Hong Kong
20
889
57
224
59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prim View Post
I would think it depends on the country you want to move to, but if say, you took your Blu-Ray players to Norway, you would need a step transformer, not just a plug adapter. As long as you have that, you're good to go. A USA player would certainly mix with any TV bought here, as we have had both PAL and NTSC as standard for the last 15-20 years. It would be worse the other way around - say if you brought a BD player from EU that outputs 50hz (instead of converting it to 60hz) to be used in the States/Canada. But I don't know if all countries are as format friendly as we are here, that is something you would have to research a bit before moving.
but the transformer is only needed for connecting to a tv I thought? I thought that traveling with just a player and a projector avoids the transformer? The hz issue, I thought, only comes about when one wants to connect a player from one country to a tv from another country.

There are two issues, right - the hz issue and the voltage issue.

So, would this work:
1. Bring a USA player and USA projector to Norway. Buy two outlet converters.

or

2. Bring a USA player to Norway and connect it to a Norwegian projector. Buy one outlet converter (for the player).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
rdodolak rdodolak is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
1711
1136
20
Default

It depends on what player and projector you have and whether or not their power supply is dual voltage. You may need a step down transformer to step down the voltage from 220/230/240V to 120V otherwise you'll fry your electronics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Prim Prim is offline
Expert Member
 
Prim's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
Norway
441
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
but the transformer is only needed for connecting to a tv I thought? I thought that traveling with just a player and a projector avoids the transformer? The hz issue, I thought, only comes about when one wants to connect a player from one country to a tv from another country.
The transformer is needed to power the BD player. If your player(s) are 110v60hz, then you would need to convert the 110v to 220v. I don't think the 60hz would be an issue here, as I own an American PS3 myself, and it does not do 50hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
There are two issues, right - the hz issue and the voltage issue.

So, would this work:
1. Bring a USA player and USA projector to Norway. Buy two outlet converters.

or

2. Bring a USA player to Norway and connect it to a Norwegian projector. Buy one outlet converter (for the player).
Maybe we're using two different words but mean the same thing here. When you say "outlet converter", I assume you mean one of those plug converters that can be had for cheap in every electronics store?
Like this: American 2 (or) 3 prong plug ->small (often plastic) plug converter -> Norwegian outlet, right?

If your player is 110v (not dual voltage), you would fry it in an instant if you did that. You would need something that converts the current, not only the plug. That's what the step transformer does.

The TV has nothing to do with it. Any TV bought here will accept NTSC and/or 60hz signals. The only thing I can not say for certain, is if you would have to convert the 60hz current the player sends out, or if it would be fine the way it is. I know you would have to convert the 110v. The projector is the same thing, really. If it's 110v, you have to convert the current. Otherwise - zap and burn.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26 PM.