Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack / Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Blu-ray)
$13.59
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #161
Special Member

Jun 2013

As a non-religious person, I found this series so far to be much better than I was expecting. However, the story I was most interested in viewing, the story of Adam & Eve (actually the entirety of Genesis as well, if I'm not wrong), was given all of like... 45 seconds?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #162

Sep 2012

If they had went "authentic" for that scene the nudity would have been attention getting.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #163
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Can anyone who has watched the Son of God movie, tell me what was added that wasn't included in the series.
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #164
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower67 View Post
Can anyone who has watched the Son of God movie, tell me what was added that wasn't included in the series.
From what I remember:

* The film is narrated by John (Sebastian Knapp) while on the isle of Patmos instead of Keith David. There's a prologue which includes more footage of him on the island as we hear his voiceover (most of which is actually taken from John's gospel).

* Scene where the Romans tip over a cart on their way to Judea adds the death of a boy who gets crushed under the cart, giving an entirely new vibe to the scene than in the miniseries.

* The Sermon on the Mount playing as a full self-contained scene rather than as a lead-in to a montage, so we see more of Jesus Himself and the crowd's reactions instead of cutting to other things.

* Peter and John inviting Simon, the pharisee from Nazareth, to join them during one of Jesus' sermons. The very beginning of this scene with Jesus preaching to the crowd was used as part of the aforementioned montage in the miniseries.

* Thomas and Judas trying to calm Jesus down during the cleansing of the temple. Before Jesus starts wrecking things, Judas tells Thomas that they need to shield their faces since they're all being watched by the both the guards and pharisees.

* Mary Magdalene and Thomas noticing Judas has disappeared. This scene was clearly meant to be part of the Nicodemus scene as everyone is dressed in the same clothing and sitting in the same positions they are when he arrives later in the film.

* Judas meeting with Malchus to voice his concerns about Jesus. This is why in the miniseries, Malchus tells Caiaphas Judas is willing to help them even though the audience never saw them interacting.

* Peter and Judas heading to the upper room for the Last Supper.

* Mary, John, and Mary Magdalene running into Peter after his denial of Christ. He reveals to them Jesus has been found guilty and taken to Pilate, and he admits to his denial before running off.

* Longer flagellation scene. Jesus is struck in the face on the way to the whipping post, and besides more flogging shots, the scene ends with Pilate's wife Claudia noticing Mary grieving at the gate. Satan has been cut out completely.

* Reaction shots from Mary, John, and Magdalene during the crucifixion to cover up the gaps left by Satan's deletion. I actually want to say there are less shots and sounds of the nails going in than in the miniseries, possibly to avoid an R-rating.

* Peter's dialogue from the ascension scene that was on the History Channel edit but not the Blu-ray edit ("Come. We've got work to do."). Oddly, in the History Channel edit, Thomas asks what do they do now, which prompts the line from Peter, but Thomas' bit isn't in the film.

There are other alternate takes and added shots sprinkled throughout, but the above is the most substantial stuff. The film cuts a lot more than it adds (most of episode six "Hope," which dealt with the Nativity, the two Herods, and John the Baptist is gone), which makes the story feel very unbalanced. It's almost literally split down the middle between Jesus' ministry and the events of Holy Week.

I really want an extended cut that takes all of the scenes shot and edits them together the way they were originally written and filmed. The miniseries feels more complete, but the recaps, previews, and credits that split the different episodes results in a fractured experience (not to mention you have to change discs on BD). The movie is a single edit, but scenes are lopped off and re-arranged, resulting in a messy and choppy first half (things flow better once we get to the Last Supper since most of episodes eight and nine are left alone).
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #165
Expert Member

Jul 2009

I scored an Emmy screener of the History Channel broadcast on ebay. I haven't had time to watch all of it yet, but it is the exact broadcast. I may watch it this Easter season. I have a feeling that the Blu-ray version will be my preferred version to watch though.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #166
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
From what I remember:

* The film is narrated by John (Sebastian Knapp) while on the isle of Patmos instead of Keith David. There's a prologue which includes more footage of him on the island as we hear his voiceover (most of which is actually taken from John's gospel).

* Scene where the Romans tip over a cart on their way to Judea adds the death of a boy who gets crushed under the cart, giving an entirely new vibe to the scene than in the miniseries.

* The Sermon on the Mount playing as a full self-contained scene rather than as a lead-in to a montage, so we see more of Jesus Himself and the crowd's reactions instead of cutting to other things.

* Peter and John inviting Simon, the pharisee from Nazareth, to join them during one of Jesus' sermons. The very beginning of this scene with Jesus preaching to the crowd was used as part of the aforementioned montage in the miniseries.

* Thomas and Judas trying to calm Jesus down during the cleansing of the temple. Before Jesus starts wrecking things, Judas tells Thomas that they need to shield their faces since they're all being watched by the both the guards and pharisees.

* Mary Magdalene and Thomas noticing Judas has disappeared. This scene was clearly meant to be part of the Nicodemus scene as everyone is dressed in the same clothing and sitting in the same positions they are when he arrives later in the film.

* Judas meeting with Malchus to voice his concerns about Jesus. This is why in the miniseries, Malchus tells Caiaphas Judas is willing to help them even though the audience never saw them interacting.

* Peter and Judas heading to the upper room for the Last Supper.

* Mary, John, and Mary Magdalene running into Peter after his denial of Christ. He reveals to them Jesus has been found guilty and taken to Pilate, and he admits to his denial before running off.

* Longer flagellation scene. Jesus is struck in the face on the way to the whipping post, and besides more flogging shots, the scene ends with Pilate's wife Claudia noticing Mary grieving at the gate. Satan has been cut out completely.

* Reaction shots from Mary, John, and Magdalene during the crucifixion to cover up the gaps left by Satan's deletion. I actually want to say there are less shots and sounds of the nails going in than in the miniseries, possibly to avoid an R-rating.

* Peter's dialogue from the ascension scene that was on the History Channel edit but not the Blu-ray edit ("Come. We've got work to do."). Oddly, in the History Channel edit, Thomas asks what do they do now, which prompts the line from Peter, but Thomas' bit isn't in the film.

There are other alternate takes and added shots sprinkled throughout, but the above is the most substantial stuff. The film cuts a lot more than it adds (most of episode six "Hope," which dealt with the Nativity, the two Herods, and John the Baptist is gone), which makes the story feel very unbalanced. It's almost literally split down the middle between Jesus' ministry and the events of Holy Week.

I really want an extended cut that takes all of the scenes shot and edits them together the way they were originally written and filmed. The miniseries feels more complete, but the recaps, previews, and credits that split the different episodes results in a fractured experience (not to mention you have to change discs on BD). The movie is a single edit, but scenes are lopped off and re-arranged, resulting in a messy and choppy first half (things flow better once we get to the Last Supper since most of episodes eight and nine are left alone).
Thanks so much! I really want to see Son of God to, it sounds like it is different enough from the show. I am a little disappointed that they chose to delete stuff from the show as well though
Who is more foolish? The fool? Or the fool who follows him?

Last edited by Starpower67; 03-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #167
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Just picked this up today with FoxConnect's one day Thursday sale for $15.99 (free shipping as well). It is selling as a preorder with a shipping date of April 8th so I'm guessing its a re-release???

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=238830
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America