Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA
Default need a specific font

I'm trying to reproduce the album covers for Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III because I cant find decent high-res images to use on iTunes. Yes, it matters to me, because I'm using retina display. I'm lousy with Photoshop, but decided to give it a go anyway.

I'm working on the one for Part II right now and I'm having trouble finding a font for the phrase "Music Composed and Conducted by Alan Silvestri". The SteelTongs font: works great for "ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK", but try to do letters in lower caps and you get stuff like "special effects by" and "production designer". It's a movie poster credits font. So I need a font that looks like SteelTongs, but can handle lower caps versions of the upper caps letters.

My Top 3 of All Time
1. The Back to the Future Trilogy
2. The Star Wars Saga
3. The Pirates of the Caribbean Saga
My PSN ID: The_Edge_1980
Nissen's Back to the Future Retro VHS BD custom covers I've commisioned can be found HERE
A biopic worthy of being in your collection: Control (2007)
WEED IS DUMB.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

They should be able to help match it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

They should be able to help match it.
myfonts is a pretty good resource.

i've used dafont in the past. but i don't think they have a submission form like myfonts does. i think you'd just have to search through a bunch of different fonts to find the one you want.

BUT, on dafont you can choose which family of font in which you'd like to look, for instance yours would be in the sans serif family, and pull up all the fonts in that family. then, you can type in the phrase for which you'd like to use the font so you can see exactly what it'd look like.

i went through what you're going through when i was going to itt. i had photoshop class in which i had to create a movie poster, a dvd cover and book cover (all for the same story). we had to create the background images (or use altered versions of ones we found online) and put in all the text, logos and all that stuff. so i know what you're going through in trying to find the right font.

good luck.
With all the meteor activity in this system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships.

Last edited by sk33tr; 02-27-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

Okay, what about the font that is used for the actor's names?
My Top 3 of All Time
2. The Star Wars Saga
Nissen's Back to the Future Retro VHS BD custom covers I've commisioned can be found HERE
WEED IS DUMB.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
myfonts is a pretty good resource.

i've used dafont in the past. but i don't think they have a submission form like myfonts does. i think you'd just have to search through a bunch of different fonts to find the one you want.

BUT, on dafont you can choose which family of font in which you'd like to look, for instance yours would be in the sans serif family, and pull up all the fonts in that family. then, you can type in the phrase for which you'd like to use the font so you can see exactly what it'd look like.

i went through what you're going through when i was going to itt. i had photoshop class in which i had to create a movie poster, a dvd cover and book cover (all for the same story). we had to create the background images (or use altered versions of ones we found online) and put in all the text, logos and all that stuff. so i know what you're going through in trying to find the right font.

good luck.
Thank you
My Top 3 of All Time
2. The Star Wars Saga
WEED IS DUMB.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

How's this?

My Top 3 of All Time
2. The Star Wars Saga
WEED IS DUMB.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
How's this?

[Show spoiler]
pretty good.

if you're going for "as close to the original as possible", then may i offer a couple suggestions.

1: push the actors names on yours a bit closer together vertically if possible.
2: push the music wording as well as the "mcad-6361" (at the bottom, left) to the left a bit and also pull the lines a bit closer together, again vertically.

spacing is the one thing i've noticed on which a lot of beginners seem to have some trouble. if needed, pull out a ruler and measure them on your screen (been there, done that).
another tip is to put them both into the same photoshop file at the same time as separate layers. put the whole original in one layer and then have your layers separated as usual. that way, when you start doing the text, you can turn on the layer with the original to see how yours lines up with regards to the original. you'll have to turn down the opacity on the original a bit so you can "see through" it to make sure your text lines up with that of the original, but it definitely makes it much easier to get the alignment just right.

and i actually like your version of "original motion picture soundtrack" at the top better than the original.

overall, i'd say it's pretty damn good. nice job.
With all the meteor activity in this system, it's going to be difficult to spot approaching ships.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

Quote:
pretty good.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
if you're going for "as close to the original as possible"
That was my intention.

Quote:
1: push the actors names on yours a bit closer together vertically if possible.
Ya, I may have to do that. All I did was type and press enter to start the next line, and Photoshop chose how much spacing there would be. If there is a setting for line spacing, I wouldn't know where to find it.

Quote:
another tip is to put them both into the same photoshop file at the same time as separate layers.
I never thought of that!

Quote:
and i actually like your version of "original motion picture soundtrack" at the top better than the original.
Thanks. Again, I was going for as close as possible, even tried searching for the exact fonts, and that was exhausting. That's why the fonts on mine look close to the original but not exactly like. I do think that the music wording at the bottom looks exactly like the original, though.

The extraction of the logo and making it into a resizable vector image was the most challenging part of the job, took a lot of patience with the pen tool.

Quote:
overall, i'd say it's pretty damn good. nice job.
Again, thank you.
My Top 3 of All Time
2. The Star Wars Saga
WEED IS DUMB.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat