Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #61
duggie walker duggie walker is offline
Special Member
 
duggie walker's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
London, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
That's a pretty wild prediction!
And I stand by it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again and I rarely go to see a film in the cinema twice. And the cinema is the place to see this - it's a complete visual and sonic experience.

UNDER THE SKIN won't get over-looked like BIRTH, that's for sure. And like I said, some people really won't like it - especially the ones who go for naked Scarlett. They'll get naked Scarlett for sure;but then they'll know they would have got in the van, which will bend their minds like a pretzel!

But those who like it will love it and I think it'll develop a very strong cult following.

Rest assured, though, whilst this film doesn't spell everything out, we're not talking UPSTREAM COLOR levels of bafflement. You know what's going on at every point - you just don't know why, which makes it all the more nightmarish.

Ok, I'll stop going on. Just enthusiastic (doesn't happen often).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #62
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Expert Member
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
16
Default

The novel by Michel Faber was one of my favourite novels of the last couple of decades, but from what I understand the film departs quite far from it. Still, I think Jonathan Glazer is a very talented director and I found Birth a tremendously underrated film. It was badly mis-marketed as some sort of Sixth Sense type supernatural thriller when really it was a study of obsessive grief. It was tremendously atmospheric and in terms of style it was like a perfect blend of three of my favourite directors: Kubrick, Polanski and Bunuel.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #63
duggie walker duggie walker is offline
Special Member
 
duggie walker's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
London, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The novel by Michel Faber was one of my favourite novels of the last couple of decades, but from what I understand the film departs quite far from it.
The decisions made in adaptation are intelligent and cinematic though and capture its spirit, imo. It's a bit like BLADE RUNNER in that it seems to exist in a parallel universe with the source material, each one enhancing the other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #64
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Expert Member
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie walker View Post
The decisions made in adaptation are intelligent and cinematic though and capture its spirit, imo. It's a bit like BLADE RUNNER in that it seems to exist in a parallel universe with the source material, each one enhancing the other.
I'm well aware of that and I'm not saying like that's a bad thing. I'll keep an open mind till I see the film because I respect the director. On the other hand it's difficult not to feel a little protective of a novel you love. Everything about the film looks very intriguing though and it is one of my most anticipated films of the year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #65
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
335
15
1
Default

I'm surprised the trailer posts that "we may finally have an heir to Kubrick", because, when I watch all the trailers, I think of David Lynch's work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #66
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Expert Member
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
I'm surprised the trailer posts that "we may finally have an heir to Kubrick", because, when I watch all the trailers, I think of David Lynch's work.
The centred compositions, close-ups of eyes, psychedelic moments and the look of a desolate British city are all far more reminiscent of Kubrick than of Lynch, especially the Kubrick of 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #67
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
335
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The centred compositions, close-ups of eyes, psychedelic moments and the look of a desolate British city are all far more reminiscent of Kubrick than of Lynch, especially the Kubrick of 2001 and A Clockwork Orange.
True.

I guess the creepy-factor of this trailer had me thinking "Lynch", but, actually, I see both Lynch and Kubrick influences.

Here's another Lynch influence (attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uNDERmULHOLLAND.jpg (51.2 KB, 20 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #68
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Expert Member
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
True.

I guess the creepy-factor of this trailer had me thinking "Lynch", but, actually, I see both Lynch and Kubrick influences.

Here's another Lynch influence (attached)
What makes you think it's not a homage to John Boorman's Point Blank ?



..or John Cassavetes' Opening Night ?



I can't think of many major directors who haven't used a shot like it, especially when dealing with female identity.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 02-12-2014 at 08:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM   #69
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Expert Member
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
16
Default

BTW, I'm not saying that there isn't Lynch in there, but Lynch gets attributed to anything that's menacing, atmospheric and weird so that an outright homage seems redundant.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 02-12-2014 at 08:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #70
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
335
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
What makes you think it's not a homage to John Boorman's Point Blank ?



..or John Cassavetes' Opening Night ?



I can't think of many major directors who haven't used a shot like it, especially when dealing with female identity.
Great points
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #71
eiknarf eiknarf is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
335
15
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
BTW, I'm not saying that there isn't Lynch in there, but Lynch gets attributed to anything that's menacing, atmospheric and weird so that an outright homage seems redundant.
True
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #72
willo007 willo007 is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2011
Brown Deer, WI
1252
8
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie walker View Post
And I stand by it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again and I rarely go to see a film in the cinema twice. And the cinema is the place to see this - it's a complete visual and sonic experience.

UNDER THE SKIN won't get over-looked like BIRTH, that's for sure. And like I said, some people really won't like it - especially the ones who go for naked Scarlett. They'll get naked Scarlett for sure;but then they'll know they would have got in the van, which will bend their minds like a pretzel!

But those who like it will love it and I think it'll develop a very strong cult following.

Rest assured, though, whilst this film doesn't spell everything out, we're not talking UPSTREAM COLOR levels of bafflement. You know what's going on at every point - you just don't know why, which makes it all the more nightmarish.

Ok, I'll stop going on. Just enthusiastic (doesn't happen often).
I only read this part...especially the ones who go for naked Scarlett. They'll get naked Scarlett for sure;....So, is she naked in this? Is that what you tried to say there!! I dont understand your "Castilian English"!!

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #73
duggie walker duggie walker is offline
Special Member
 
duggie walker's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
London, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo007 View Post
I only read this part...especially the ones who go for naked Scarlett. They'll get naked Scarlett for sure;....So, is she naked in this? Is that what you tried to say there!! I dont understand your "Castilian English"!!

You only read that part? How is that even possible?

But YES - you will see Scarlett NAKED if that's what you're asking. In fact, you will be surprised by just how naked you will see her!

As regards the Lynch/Kubrick stuff, it's just marketing. There are hints of them and many other films and film-makers - very generally speaking, it's in the same ballpark - but it's its own thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #74
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
586
195
160
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The novel by Michel Faber was one of my favourite novels of the last couple of decades, but from what I understand the film departs quite far from it.
I just ordered an inexpensive used copy of Michel Faber's Under the Skin so that I can read it before the movie comes out. Here's looking forward to both the book and the adaptation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 AM   #75
LegacyCosts LegacyCosts is offline
Power Member
 
LegacyCosts's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Chicago
378
13
2
Default

This sounds incredibly gratifiying for my personal tastes even if I am totally fatigued by scarjo at this point. Give me someone new.
Past a certain point there's a futility in responsibility.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:45 AM   #76
The Narrator The Narrator is offline
Active Member
 
The Narrator's Avatar
 
Aug 2013
Illinois
649
425
1
Default

Just in time for Under the Skin, here's director Jonathan Glazer's bizarre ad for Flake Chocolate. It features Denis Lavant (dancing like a maniac, as always) as the Devil. It's just as great as that sounds.
"One of the top names in fish pornography" -Nathan Rabin, The Dissolve
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 AM   #77
spanky87 spanky87 is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
spanky87's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
33
1591
179
35
Default

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #78
Mandalorian Mandalorian is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Mandalorian's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
Thirty-Mile Zone
24
746
191
125
19
Default

Completely selling this on the "ScarJo gets naked" angle. All the way down to the flesh tone type.
Top 10 Favorite Films: 1. The Dark Knight 2. The Departed 3. The Shawshank Redemption 4. Pulp Fiction 5. District 9 6. The Lord of the Rings 7. The Empire Strikes Back 8. Casino Royale 9. No Country For Old Men 10. The Lion King

Favorite Movie Quote: "I need some dudes up here that speak American, God damn it! He's making a f***ing sweater back here. I'm trying to put Tiger Balm on this jungle's nuts." Cody in Tropic Thunder
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #79
duggie walker duggie walker is offline
Special Member
 
duggie walker's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
London, UK
Default

Saw this for the second time last night. Still brilliant. Please don't wait for this film to hit Blu-ray. Like Mulholland Drive, this is real cinema - a minimalist symphony of sound and image - and should be seen in a theatre.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #80
The Great Owl The Great Owl is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The Great Owl's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
Georgia
586
195
160
1
Default

I finished the Michel Faber novel a couple weeks ago, so I'm now geared up to see this movie at the theater. I can't wait!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 AM.