Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halo: The Complete Video Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Devilman Complete OVA Series (Blu-ray)
$19.29

Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Attack on Titan: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$42.18

Sister Princess (Blu-ray)
$36.39

Angel Cop: Complete OVA Series (Blu-ray)
$24.18

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (Blu-ray)
$38.19

Tanaka-Kun Is Always Listless (Blu-ray)
$74.37

Alice and Zoroku: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.49

Appleseed: Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Haruka Nogizaka's Secret (Blu-ray)
$23.59

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #1881
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

Watching Hunter x Hunter (2011). Just started the Greed Island arc.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #1882
Power Member

Jul 2010

Just a few thoughts on some Summer Ď18 anime that caught my eye.

Planet With First Impression Grade: C+
Not sure what itís doing or where itís going to go (certainly not in the direction, so far, that I expected) but Iím interested to see more. Itís got this interesting quirkiness and zany quality. It looks nice and itís been a couple of days, and Iíve watched a lot of stuff since, but I recall largely liking the opening and ending songs.

Cells At Work First Impression Grade: B-
Predictable but fun and cute at the same time. I thought it was pretty good I guess. It feels like the comedy has the potential to get stale and I hope that doesnít become the case. But it was a solid effort for a first impression. Animation was okay, a little underwhelming. Opening and ending are both pretty generic.

Free: Dive to the Future/Season 3 First Impression Grade: B+
Itís cute guys swimming with the occasional funny and dramatic moments. Itís only natural that I end up liking this one. Convinced that KyoAni/etc shows just keep looking better. The opening song is incredible but the ending song leaves much to be desired. Itís not as suggestive as the past ones.

Angolmois: Record of Mongols Invasion First Impression Grade: A-
If we judge by first impressions, this one made the biggest and best. Perhaps the sleeper hit. Awesome opening and ending. Absolutely amazing production values. If you like historical drama/action anime, thisíll be up your alley. I love that stuff. Definitely a surprise and worthy risk to look into.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:19 PM   #1883
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by themp3000 View Post
Angolmois: Record of Mongols Invasion First Impression Grade: A-
If we judge by first impressions, this one made the biggest and best. Perhaps the sleeper hit. Awesome opening and ending. Absolutely amazing production values. If you like historical drama/action anime, thisíll be up your alley. I love that stuff. Definitely a surprise and worthy risk to look into.
Sounds like something for me as well - Drama and History, sign me up! where is that one streaming?
Girls With Guns Avatar: Her name is Koko. She is Loco. I said "Oh No!" Koko Hekmatyar From Jormungand
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #1884
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Sounds like something for me as well - Drama and History, sign me up! where is that one streaming?
CrunchyRoll.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #1885
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Thanks! Finally, one I'd want to see that's not on FU-Now or Amazon Prime. I'm only subscribed to CR, HIDIVE, and Netflix.
Girls With Guns Avatar: Her name is Koko. She is Loco. I said "Oh No!" Koko Hekmatyar From Jormungand
Old 07-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #1886
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Meh, I'd just skip the OVA if it's going to be "poor quality subs" and the rest of it is English dub. Too jarring.

I've got time to fill with me not having picked up any new series this season so far, so I've been watching Sola. Seemed like a fairly low-key slice-of-almost-harem-life and things have gotten a lot more complicated the last few episodes. I'm up to ep 10 now.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've been watch Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi on HiDive for my lunchtime anime. Up to 10 on it as well.
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"

Last edited by SeaFox; 07-13-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #1887
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

So my next Sunday Anime Marathon is happening this Sunday in The Frey Theater, only two days from now. This time around it is not a Studio Ghibli Movie Marathon, though - instead I'll be showing the entire 14-episode series of Violet Evergarden to my usual crowd of old folks in their 60's and 70's. We'll start in at 1:00 pm and break for hot sandwiches delivered from the local pizza shop around 5 pm, and then back to the rest of the series, probably finishing around 8 pm.

The 14th "extra episode" OVA was just released in Japan on July 4th, and a rather poorly-subtitled version of the episode came out just yesterday. The English subs are of only of a "Google Translate" quality, but it at least allows you to follow what is going on in the episode. I plan to show the entire series using the English dub for the courtesy of my guests, but I'll be dropping-in the subtitled OVA between episodes 4 and 5 where it takes place. The OVA is actually Episode 4.5 rather than a follow-up episode, is 34 minutes long, and of course is yet another tear-jerker episode. It successfully fills in the big gap in Violet's development, which was missing between the original series episodes 4 and 5. I am really hoping another fansub with better-quality subtitles gets released before Sunday...
Old 07-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #1888
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

That was weird.

How did our posts switch places?
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD

Girls With Guns: "I really dig the chick with the knife - waifu material for sure!"
Old 07-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #1889
Blu-ray Knight

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Ancient Chinese Secret...

Anyway, I think the OVA episode is very necessary, and also very good, so I will be including it as Episode 4.5, nevertheless.

EDIT: And, another version has been released today, with better subs, but the video is a bit lower in quality. I'll plan on using this newer version for now.

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 07-14-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #1890
Power Member

Jul 2010

Utilizing the next month of Amazon Prime and I’m gonna plow through some of the stuff I can’t watch anywhere else but first off, here’s thoughts on some of the current season shows on Amazon.

Banana Fish First Impression Grade: A
Early contender for show of the season? Probably. Seems like noitamina has the magic again to me or something. Just unfortunate that it’s behind the Amazon Prime wall. Easily the best sounding opening song this season. It’s got incredible animation from MAPPA. Ep.1-2

Grand Blue Dreaming First Impression Grade: C
It’s a simple comedy but the jokes overstay welcomes more oft than not. The first episode was merely okay. I think it’s the weakest of the four shows, easily. But I had no expectations going into it, so room for improvement is pretty limitless. It’s not bound by my hopes. Good OP/ED. Good animation. Ep.1

Seven Senses of the Re’Union First Impression Grade: C+
SAO and Anohana had a baby and it’s mediocre, congratulations to the parents! But I was still very amused and entertained. Nice generic opening and ending songs. Lerche ain’t half bad. I didn’t have any expectations going in but I was pleasantly surprised. Risks sometimes pay off. Ep.1-2

Happy Sugar Life First Impression Grade: A-
Charming and cute with a side of insanity and psychological horror. The synopsis is strangely an understatement because I really liked this. Perhaps the best looking OP of the season, perhaps not best sounding but still wow. Production quality is really good. I’m excited to see where this one goes. Ep.1
Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #1891
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2016
Quixote's Coop at Bucketheadland
Japan Cyber City Oedo 808 (Yoshiaki Kawajiri, 1990)

Cyber City Oedo 808 (4).jpg

I should finish this up tonight or tomorrow, really good so far.
Be who you is, 'cause if you ain't who you is, you is who you ain't/Respect is given, trust is earned/Time is what keeps everything from happening at once/"Now, if that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?"/Open-mindedness is receptiveness to new ideas. Open-mindedness relates to the way in which people approach the views and knowledge of others, and incorporate the beliefs that others should be free to express their views and that the value of others' knowledge should be recognized & appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM   #1892
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2017
Bluegrass State
Default Started Watching

Much to my surprize I'm really enjoying it so far.

I wasn't sure at all just how far I'd go with this one, most of the time ( for me ) shows like this need to be TVMA / 17+
to hold my attention, and to make up for the lack of real storytelling telling.

But this one is doing just fine without it so far, of course I would be enjoying it even more of they had gone that route
See it, Smell it, Touch it, Taste it...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime > Anime on TV and General Discussion