Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Chappie (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The Satan Bug (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Orphan Black: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Black Sabbath (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #3961
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
Definitely. Stamp, Douglas, and O'Halloran are way too stiff in their flying scenes. They look like life size action figures swinging. I don't fault them that much though. They just didn't have the time to prep the way Reeve did.
It fits the characters, I've always attributed it to them because they're new at flying. Superman has had practice and he's far more experienced, we see the Phantom Zone baddies been less adept with their other abilities too. They're just beginners!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Thanks given by:
Nada (08-02-2015), Petra_Kalbrain (08-03-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #3962
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

^Agree with the above, it fits the characters.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #3963
Expert Member

Feb 2015
Tornado Alley
Send a message via AIM to LuckyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Miniatures are usually shot at high speed, which results in a slowed-down shot that has much more 'weight' to it than shooting a miniature at regular 24fps.

I can't recall what they did on French Connection, but they might've undercranked the camera slightly to make things look like they're moving faster.
The best example of this is the Godzilla films. If you've ever seen a Godzilla movie being filmed, it looks hilarious. Nothing more than guys in rubber suits smashing model buildings. But when they overcrank the camera and play the footage back at normal speed, those rubber suits smashing model buildings look like giant monsters with mass and weight destroying huge, real buildings. It's something you can't accomplish by shooting at normal speed and simply slowing it down.

I think the opposite -- undercranking the camera so the footage becomes sped up -- usually looks a lot worse though. Speeding up footage is almost never a good idea, because it never looks natural. You can speed up footage a bit by removing a few frames here and there, and I find that it looks more natural that way.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #3964
Expert Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDragon View Post
The best example of this is the Godzilla films. If you've ever seen a Godzilla movie being filmed, it looks hilarious. Nothing more than guys in rubber suits smashing model buildings. But when they overcrank the camera and play the footage back at normal speed, those rubber suits smashing model buildings look like giant monsters with mass and weight destroying huge, real buildings. It's something you can't accomplish by shooting at normal speed and simply slowing it down.

I think the opposite -- undercranking the camera so the footage becomes sped up -- usually looks a lot worse though. Speeding up footage is almost never a good idea, because it never looks natural. You can speed up footage a bit by removing a few frames here and there, and I find that it looks more natural that way.
There's a sort of equation to these things. It depends on the scale that the miniatures are built in, the sort of action taking place and what the effect is: explosions are done differently than water for instance.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #3965
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It fits the characters, I've always attributed it to them because they're new at flying. Superman has had practice and he's far more experienced, we see the Phantom Zone baddies been less adept with their other abilities too. They're just beginners!
I don't think anyone attributes it to that. It is from the 80s after all.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #3966
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
There's a sort of equation to these things. It depends on the scale that the miniatures are built in, the sort of action taking place and what the effect is: explosions are done differently than water for instance.
You're right, there's not a 'one size' solution. That's what I love about how practical filmmaking was back then, people came up with such inventive ways to achieve certain effects whereas now it's so much easier to let a few thousand bods on computers do it all.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #3967

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
Lois could have been about ten on the train and thus in her early 20s by the time she met Clark. Lois seems to have enough talent and drive to push her way to the top by then already. If not, well, that's possibly one reason why the scene was edited out of the theatrical cut.
This actually makes me bring up a question, one that puzzles me even though I'm a huge Superman fan.

Clark is 18 or so when he leaves for the fortress in the first movie. It's mentioned that "12 of your years will have passed when we finish our journey together." So, he leaves the fortress at age 30, then? I know he's incredibly intelligent and has vast knowledge of the whole universe, basically, but how in the world does he manage to pick up a job so quickly at the Daily Planet? Even if having a journalism degree was looked over (which would've required a few years in university), you'd think he would need some experience at a smaller paper or similar position before he was considered by the Planet. It never made much sense to me.

Is it possible that time on Earth continued to pass, but Clark didn't age on his journey within the fortress... meaning that it was 12 years later, but he still left the fortress at 18 years old? Then, he would be able to go to university, get a degree, write for some papers and get experience, and then move to Metropolis. Also, it would explain how he and Lois are now more similar in age when she appeared much younger on the train before. I'm thinking time might have been frozen and he didn't age much, but I'm not sure. After all, he only aged about 3 years at the most in his journey to Earth, and that took thousands of years, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #3968

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Dreamer View Post
Is it possible that time on Earth continued to pass, but Clark didn't age on his journey within the fortress... meaning that it was 12 years later, but he still left the fortress at 18 years old?
No. 18 year old Clark (played by Jeff East) entered the Fortress of Solitude and - twelve years later - 30 year old Superman (played by Christopher Reeve) flew out. If he hadn't aged, they would have used East for that shot.
Thanks given by:
Eternal Dreamer (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #3969
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
but how in the world does he manage to pick up a job so quickly at the Daily Planet? Even if having a journalism degree was looked over (which would've required a few years in university), you'd think he would need some experience at a smaller paper or similar position before he was considered by the Planet. It never made much sense to me.
But his being invulnerable, able to fly and having an array of fancy eye beams makes sense just because he is supposed to come from a planet with a different gravity and sun? Maybe he used super-hypnotism to make Perry White give him the job. I remember a comic book from the goofy Silver Age, where White gives Clark a series of assignments (Cover a fairground, do a piece on an aging gorilla, make Superman pose with Kryptonite) in a single day before deciding that he is worthy of a job.
Thanks given by:
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 AM   #3970

Oct 2011
Quincy, MA

I always figured movie version Kal-El used the Fortress's advanced tech to create a bunch of fake credentials: diplomas, fake job history, fake references, etc. Basically, Clark is a big, fat, fraud!
--Reality is for people who can't handle STAR TREK.
Thanks given by:
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 AM   #3971
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
... I know he's incredibly intelligent and has vast knowledge of the whole universe, basically, but how in the world does he manage to pick up a job so quickly at the Daily Planet? Even if having a journalism degree was looked over (which would've required a few years in university), you'd think he would need some experience at a smaller paper or similar position before he was considered by the Planet. It never made much sense to me.

"He's the fastest typist I've ever seen!" - Perry White, Superman: The Movie

In all seriousness though, not everyone who works as a successful reporter has gone to journalism school. With Clark's intelligence I'm certain that he would have been able to type up a fairly decent newspaper article on the spot and on ANY subject without any trouble to show White that he could do a good job. Also, he is sort of assigned to Lois. I always kind of took that as a kind of "mentorship" move on Perry's part. He sees great potential in Clark and puts him with the best so he can develop most efficiently.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Thanks given by:
Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 AM   #3972
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post

In all seriousness though, not everyone who works as a successful reporter has gone to journalism school. With Clark's intelligence I'm certain that he would have been able to type up a fairly decent newspaper article on the spot and on ANY subject without any trouble to show White that he could do a good job. Also, he is sort of assigned to Lois. I always kind of took that as a kind of "mentorship" move on Perry's part. He sees great potential in Clark and puts him with the best so he can develop most efficiently.
I genuinely enjoy the fact that we are now having a debate about fake credentials, etc. all because of a throwaway scene that was deleted from the film in the first place.
My blu-ray wishlist Top 10: 1) The Day Of The Jackal 2) The Road To Wellville 3) The Pink Panther Series 4) The original Sleuth 5) True Lies 6) Danger Diabolik 7) Fletch Lives 8) The Parallax View 9) Popeye 10) Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid
Thanks given by:
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45 AM   #3973

Jun 2014

Thanks for all the great discussion! It's always great to chat with fellow fans about stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
No. 18 year old Clark (played by Jeff East) entered the Fortress of Solitude and - twelve years later - 30 year old Superman (played by Christopher Reeve) flew out. If he hadn't aged, they would have used East for that shot.
Funny enough, I remember that when I was very, very young and watching this on crappy TV broadcasts or worn out VHS recorded from said crappy TV broadcasts, I had always wondered if the time had passed or not. I guess the "12 years" didn't sink in for little me and combined with the crappy quality (so bad that I couldn't see Superman's face as he flew out of the Fortress of Solitude), I didn't think any time had passed. Not until TV broadcasts got better quality did I actually get to see that it was Reeve's face as he flew in that scene. Strange, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
But his being invulnerable, able to fly and having an array of fancy eye beams makes sense just because he is supposed to come from a planet with a different gravity and sun? Maybe he used super-hypnotism to make Perry White give him the job. I remember a comic book from the goofy Silver Age, where White gives Clark a series of assignments (Cover a fairground, do a piece on an aging gorilla, make Superman pose with Kryptonite) in a single day before deciding that he is worthy of a job.
I love looking through those goofy Silver Age books that you mention. The covers are a riot, too! Really silly stuff they came up with then. I think I remember that issue you're talking about, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoFan View Post
I always figured movie version Kal-El used the Fortress's advanced tech to create a bunch of fake credentials: diplomas, fake job history, fake references, etc. Basically, Clark is a big, fat, fraud!
Who knows? Maybe that's true. Then again, the 1970s were a really weird time in movies and television. After all, David Banner had no trouble finding jobs and such in The Incredible Hulk TV series. Maybe nobody gave a crap about credentials. Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post

And don't forget that snappy, punchy prose style! Good point about him being assigned to Lois, too. I just figured that with the Planet being a huge newspaper in such a big city, they might have wanted more credentials. Then again, Clark would no doubt be so intelligent and talented that it might've gotten him in the door, like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
I genuinely enjoy the fact that we are now having a debate about fake credentials, etc. all because of a throwaway scene that was deleted from the film in the first place.
I enjoy that, too. And really, even without the deleted scene, these questions would still remain.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #3974
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

Quote:
This actually makes me bring up a question, one that puzzles me even though I'm a huge Superman fan.

Clark is 18 or so when he leaves for the fortress in the first movie. It's mentioned that "12 of your years will have passed when we finish our journey together." So, he leaves the fortress at age 30, then? I know he's incredibly intelligent and has vast knowledge of the whole universe, basically, but how in the world does he manage to pick up a job so quickly at the Daily Planet? Even if having a journalism degree was looked over (which would've required a few years in university), you'd think he would need some experience at a smaller paper or similar position before he was considered by the Planet. It never made much sense to me.

Is it possible that time on Earth continued to pass, but Clark didn't age on his journey within the fortress... meaning that it was 12 years later, but he still left the fortress at 18 years old? Then, he would be able to go to university, get a degree, write for some papers and get experience, and then move to Metropolis. Also, it would explain how he and Lois are now more similar in age when she appeared much younger on the train before. I'm thinking time might have been frozen and he didn't age much, but I'm not sure. After all, he only aged about 3 years at the most in his journey to Earth, and that took thousands of years, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about.
Perry did briefly mention that Clark had experience...
Looking for the following:
UV:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1
Disk:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
Old 08-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #3975

Sep 2014
They're gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite, do ya dig that? Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
Perry did briefly mention that Clark had experience...
He did? When?

What I remember him saying is: "Lois, Clark Kent may seem like just a mild-mannered reporter, but listen, not only does he know how to treat his editor-in-chief with the proper respect, not only does he have a snappy, punchy prose style, but he is, in my forty years in this business, the fastest typist I've ever seen."
Old 08-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #3976
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
What I remember him saying is: "Lois, Clark Kent may seem like just a mild-mannered reporter, but listen, not only does he know how to treat his editor-in-chief with the proper respect, not only does he have a snappy, punchy prose style, but he is, in my forty years in this business, the fastest typist I've ever seen."
It's certainly implied that Clark and Perry White have had a previous meeting or conversation, otherwise Perry's observations are very much on the spot.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #3977

Jan 2015

Maybe in the 1970's a good suit and nice manners went further than they do today when it comes to getting a job
Old 08-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #3978

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
Maybe in the 1970's a good suit and nice manners went further than they do today when it comes to getting a job
Very true.

Also, who's to say it wasn't several months or a year or two between when Clark leaves the Fortress and when he shows up at the Daily Planet. Either that or he "magic kissed" Perry for the job.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #3979
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
... or he "magic kissed" Perry for the job.
Now that's a thought...a very disturbing thought

I wouldn't have an issue with Superman being gay, but Superman two-timing or offering carnal favors?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
superman