Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
4 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
17 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 min ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 min ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
18 min ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
33 min ago
Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
17 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #441

Mar 2014
So Paulo, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I'm citing an interview from the last couple years, you're citing one from 1981, she probably softened her opinion on it with time. :P Terror Train also is more of a whodunnit than a Halloween ripoff and Halloween II isn't a remake because it's a sequel, so I don't see that position as being hypocritical at all. She was also probably pissed at that point since that was before she had managed to break out of horror movies, which surely took a pretty harsh stance on distancing herself from the material before she would be taken seriously.
Never said she was being hypocritical, just thought it didn't made sense her anger towards Prom Night and not the others since they're pretty much the same material.

Prom Night is also more of a whodunnit, and Terror Train uses the same idea (killer after a group to avenge something from the past). So, she should hate TT even more if we're following the logic on what she said about PN.
Please sign my petition for the release of Wes Craven's DEADLY FRIEND Director's cut:

http://www.change.org/petitions/shou...-blu-ray-dvd-2

Last edited by JackForrester; 10-26-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #442
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackForrester View Post
Yes, Wendy's chase scene is one of my favorites. She was such a b**** during the film but for someone who can run like that on heels,
[Show spoiler]she really deserved to live

Yep, great haunting soundtrack. Needs a special edition release.
i liked it because it lasted forever. usually only the 'final girl' puts up a fight
Quote:
Curtis would later regret her involvement in Prom Night, citing it as the worst of her earlier horror pictures. During an interview with Fangoria around the release of Halloween II in 1981, Curtis admitted, I hated Prom Night I had only made two movies up to that time, they offered me three times the money I was paid on The Fog, and it was the first role that was actually offered to me; I didnt even have to read for it Ill let you know something, all that psychopathic killer stuff was not in the original script, not in the script I agreed to do. They added that after they cut the movie. Im very angry about that because I feel I wouldnt have made the movie had it been a remake of Halloween which is exactly what they were trying to do."

That seems pretty spiteful.
And doesn't make sense she hated Prom Night so much because it was a repetition of Halloween, and her next two movies were Terror Train and, uh Halloween II?
she thinks its a remake of Halloween? just because it has a guy killing teens probably. this movie isn't very similar to Halloween. she must think Donnie Brasco is a remake of the Godfather because they're both about mobsters lol.
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (10-28-2014), Mrlovkim (11-08-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #443
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Never said she was being hypocritical, just thought it didn't made sense her anger towards Prom Night and not the others since they're pretty much the same material.

Prom Night is also more of a whodunnit, and Terror Train uses the same idea (killer after a group to avenge something from the past). So, she should hate TT even more if we're following the logic on what she said about PN.
yeah i don't get it. its a slasher. of course it will have similarities, a guy killing teens usually. mob movies are the same way. criminals make money and kill. does Goodfellas suck because its similar to the Godfather in that regard? of course not
Thanks given by:
JackForrester (10-28-2014), Mrlovkim (11-08-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #444
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_wentworth View Post
i liked it because it lasted forever. usually only the 'final girl' puts up a fight
IMO, that's partly because this film
[Show spoiler]really doesn't have a final girl, at least not in the traditional sense. Kim Hammond (Jamie Lee Curtis) isn't really a final girl as she never really comes into direct contact with the killer as a potential victim. Ultimately she serves an almost Loomis-esque role by saving Nick McBride (Casey Stevens) from the killer. Technically, this is a final guy movie, but Nick McBride's survival at the end is sort of an afterthought by the end of the film.
Thanks given by:
sarah_wentworth (10-31-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #445

Mar 2014
So Paulo, Brazil

I don't have the Bluray yet. As a big fan of this film I'm excited to see the audio commentary and the Horrors of Hamilton High feature.
Which actors appear in it?
And I heard the audio commentary is kind of disappointing. Any ideas why?
Please sign my petition for the release of Wes Craven's DEADLY FRIEND Director's cut:

http://www.change.org/petitions/shou...-blu-ray-dvd-2
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #446
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
IMO, that's partly because this film
[Show spoiler]really doesn't have a final girl, at least not in the traditional sense. Kim Hammond (Jamie Lee Curtis) isn't really a final girl as she never really comes into direct contact with the killer as a potential victim. Ultimately she serves an almost Loomis-esque role by saving Nick McBride (Casey Stevens) from the killer. Technically, this is a final guy movie, but Nick McBride's survival at the end is sort of an afterthought by the end of the film.
oh that makes sense
Old 11-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #447

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-Hostage View Post
Whaaaat, no likey?
Didn't like it. The beginning was kind of creepy but overall it was pretty boring. There wasn't much going on as far was the story went. There's much better films in the genre. It honestly wasn't even a little enjoyable for me i wouldn't ever watch it again. I blind bought a few slashers this fall and this was the only one I didn't like.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #448
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiepippen View Post
Didn't like it. The beginning was kind of creepy but overall it was pretty boring. There wasn't much going on as far was the story went. There's much better films in the genre. It honestly wasn't even a little enjoyable for me i wouldn't ever watch it again. I blind bought a few slashers this fall and this was the only one I didn't like.
I would recommend the sequel, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II.
It's like a dark comedy / supernatural-possession slasher with elements of Carrie mixed in. It's miles better than the original, although I like both. It's in-name-only (although I believe the High School has the same name -beyond that there's no real connection).
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 AM   #449

Sep 2011
Holland

I very much enjoy this movie having the DVD was happy to see it remastered for blu ray, watched it on Halloween and was very happy with it.
Blu-ray Wishlist: Norliss Tapes (1973), Hell Night (1981),Gargoyles(1972),Snow Beast(1977), The Car(1977), Phantasm ('79)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #450

Oct 2012
South of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiepippen View Post
Recently picked this one up without previously seeing it, I'm with you on this. I am a huge fan of the sequel, but this one was just a chore to watch. Jamie Lee appeared to be a 30 somethings stripper playing a teen high school student which I couldn't really get passed either. Oh well, I'll rewatch with the commentary and see if I can get anything at all out of it. Might not have helped that I just watched Graduation Day and found it to be way more entertaining.
my lucky number is none. my favorite color is dead.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #451
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRiverPatriot View Post
Might not have helped that I just watched Graduation Day and found it to be way more entertaining.

As much love as I have for the slasher genre, and despite the presence of Christopher George, even I find it hard to get through Graduation Day.

What the hell's with that eight minute song "Gangster Rock"? I mean, it's hilariously bad for about two minutes, then after four you're seriously considering muting it, then you keep watching because you've made it this far, how long can it possibly go on?!

Then you find out. A long frigging time.

Loved the opening song/sequence though.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #452
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRiverPatriot View Post
Might not have helped that I just watched Graduation Day and found it to be way more entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
As much love as I have for the slasher genre, and despite the presence of Christopher George, even I find it hard to get through Graduation Day
I love Prom Night and Graduation Day equally. Well, I may like Prom Night a little bit more, but they're both awesome flicks.

It's too bad that those fun slasher days are a thing of the past. Horror films of this sort are too serious today, and that spirit of reckless abandon that graced the early-1980s films is no longer present.

I mean, these early-1980s slasher movies were intense, but they were never really outright bleak or somber. Contemporary films are either too direly bleak or too blatantly campy. These older movies straddled that line with a perfect balance.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #453

Sep 2014

I love the original Prom Night, and the Blu-ray looks fantastic, head and shoulders better than any prior home video release.

I do agree that Hello Mary Lou is better and more unique, even if it has nothing to do with the original. It should be judged on it's own merits though, since it's technically an original film slapped as a sequel for marketing purposes. I'm perfectly happy with my MGM/FOX DVD for that film. I don't think Blu-ray would be that much of an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I love Prom Night and Graduation Day equally. Well, I may like Prom Night a little bit more, but they're both awesome flicks.

It's too bad that those fun slasher days are a thing of the past. Horror films of this sort are too serious today, and that spirit of reckless abandon that graced the early-1980s films is no longer present.

I mean, these early-1980s slasher movies were intense, but they were never really outright bleak or somber. Contemporary films are either too direly bleak or too blatantly campy. These older movies straddled that line with a perfect balance.
YES!!! I agree with this 100%!
Old 12-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #454
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
I love the original Prom Night, and the Blu-ray looks fantastic, head and shoulders better than any prior home video release.

I do agree that Hello Mary Lou is better and more unique, even if it has nothing to do with the original. It should be judged on it's own merits though, since it's technically an original film slapped as a sequel for marketing purposes. I'm perfectly happy with my MGM/FOX DVD for that film. I don't think Blu-ray would be that much of an upgrade.
I've always heard that but I'm not sure its true.

The film has the same producers and takes place at the same High School, although ignoring any references to the first film. I've always wondered about that.

Regardless, I love Hello Mary Lou and think it's a much more entertaining film that the first one. In fact the only Prom Night film I would rank below the original would have to be Prom Night 4: DelIVer Us From Evil. Even if a couple of them stink, I still am a fan of the franchise as a whole. I even adore the remake, or rather the reboot.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #455

Feb 2012

As I recall, HELLO MARY LOU: PROM NIGHT 2 was originally supposed to be titled THE HAUNTING OF HAMILTON HIGH but the title was changed to connect it with PROM NIGHT since the film had the same producers and the high schools shared the same name.

Chris
Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #456

Sep 2014

Yeah it does NOT take place at the same high school. The school in the original film was technically "Alexander Hamilton High School" (though I have no idea why a school in Canada would be named that), though some characters abbreviated it as "Hamilton High" in the dialogue. Hello Mary Lou takes place at an actual "Hamilton High School." It's a coincidence (though possibly influenced by the original film), and producers probably realized that and made it a sequel. I honestly think the film might be a full-blown cult classic if it wasn't branded as a sequel.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM   #457

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffOliver View Post
Yeah it does NOT take place at the same high school. The school in the original film was technically "Alexander Hamilton High School" (though I have no idea why a school in Canada would be named that)...
While PROM NIGHT was filmed in Canada, they were probably trying to pass it off as middle America, not unlike how HALLOWEEN tried to pass off the suburbs of Los Angeles as the middle of Illinois.

Chris
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #458

Oct 2012
South of Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
As much love as I have for the slasher genre, and despite the presence of Christopher George, even I find it hard to get through Graduation Day.

Loved the opening song/sequence though.
Hahaha, I don't know, bro. Just not enough "slasher" than what I was expecting out of it I guess. Graduation Day delivered enough for me to not want to throw the disc out 50min into it.
my lucky number is none. my favorite color is dead.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #459

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post
While PROM NIGHT was filmed in Canada, they were probably trying to pass it off as middle America, not unlike how HALLOWEEN tried to pass off the suburbs of Los Angeles as the middle of Illinois.

Chris
Possibly, but they still need to explain some of the slight Canadian accents. "Kim's going OAT with me!" "SOARRY Mom!" :P
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America