Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #401

Oct 2010
Thumbs down

They've been saying this for 4 years now. It's still a none news item because nothing new or relevant has been said...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #402

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
They should re-release year 1 again too for those who missed it and will just find season 2 available. It would suck for new fans to discover year 2 and not be able to get year 1.
Sorry for my confusion on this, but are you talking about the A&E set of Season 1? Because that's still available, at least on Amazon.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #403
Power Member

Oct 2009
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykol Gantt View Post
They've been saying this for 4 years now. It's still a none news item because nothing new or relevant has been said...
True, and the fact there's a money issue involved and now I saw a statement that maybe 2015 now. Season 2 is "vaporware" at this point.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 AM   #404

Sep 2010
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykol Gantt View Post
Believe what you want,but Space 1999: Season 2 is definitely coming on blu-ray from Network in the UK! They have said this recently on their facebook page. I don't think they would lie about this,but the sound issue takes a while to fix.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #405

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dig View Post
Believe what you want,but Space 1999: Season 2 is definitely coming on blu-ray from Network in the UK! They have said this recently on their facebook page. I don't think they would lie about this,but the sound issue takes a while to fix.
Four years to fix sound issues? Ummmmm.... RRRRRRIIIIIGGGHHHHT. I'm sure there are other issues as well, as I find it hard to believe one single issue would delay the 2nd season for this long.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #406
Power Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dig View Post
Cannot wait.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #407
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

I saw bigfoot
Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #408

Jun 2008
Boston

I think it was reported on TV Shows on DVD and possibly The Digital Bits that Space 1999 is now being distributed in the US by Lionsgate and no longer by A&E. At least Years 1 & 2 sets are available from Lionsgate on DVD with new packaging.

Last edited by tom_k35; 03-24-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: reads better
Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #409
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades1370 View Post
Four years to fix sound issues? Ummmmm.... RRRRRRIIIIIGGGHHHHT. I'm sure there are other issues as well, as I find it hard to believe one single issue would delay the 2nd season for this long.
They've been saying all along that it was a matter of fixing sound issues, which required money they didn't have. That's what's been causing the delay. The video has already been remastered. I see nothing inconsistent with what they've been saying.

Last edited by mar3o; 03-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #410
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnoone View Post
Sorry for my confusion on this, but are you talking about the A&E set of Season 1? Because that's still available, at least on Amazon.
Oh, for some reason I thought that set was out of print. Well then hopefully it remains available when set 2 finally comes out, so new fans can discover both seasons.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #411

Feb 2010

Originally, for awhile it was OoP!!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #412

Jun 2008
Boston
Default Real News!

from the Digital Bits:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds,Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #413
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_k35 View Post
from the Digital Bits:

The Gerry Anderson-themed Andercon convention happens in London on 4/19-20, and according to official website Network will be showing HD remastered episodes of Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds,Captain Scarlet, and Joe 90, as well as Space: 1999 – Season Two and a documentary for the latter (possibly being created for the BD release) called Space: 1999 – Season 2: On Set, In Production. So perhaps this means Blu-ray releases of these properties are on the way, which would be especially good news in the case of the long-awaited Space: 1999 – Season Two. Watch for an official update during the convention.
Now this is promising news! This must mean the year 2 episodes have been completed, or at least some episodes have been completed. Hopefully this will be followed by a blu-ray announcement. I'd love to hear an announcement for Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet too. No mention of UFO though.

The new documentary sounds very interesting also. I wonder if this was newly shot with new interviews, etc.?

Last edited by mar3o; 04-17-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 AM   #414
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

I loved this show as a kid.. but don't remember much about it, other then building guns from the show out of Lego. I'm sure it hasn't aged especially well, but still would like to check it out.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #415
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain View Post
I loved this show as a kid.. but don't remember much about it, other then building guns from the show out of Lego. I'm sure it hasn't aged especially well, but still would like to check it out.
Actually it depends on what you mean by "aged well". Of course the fashions are dated, though I always loved their uniforms. Year 2 added color jackets that added some color and looked pretty nice.

Year 1 had some very gruesome horror effects at times, and still are effective today. The monster in "Dragon's Domain" is still frightening to this day. The ghost in the year 1 episode "The Troubled Spirit" is still horrific, as is the creature in "Force of Life". "End of Eternity" featured a very shocking and violent attack on commander Koenig, and "Death's Other Dominion" had a very shocking and graphic finale. "Mission of the Darians" was also very disturbing. Year 1 was pretty light on monsters.

Year 2 went nuts with monsters, and most are pretty pathetic by today's standards, with the exception of the Bringers of Wonder, which are quite gruesome and nasty to look at, even today.

The effects still hold up very well today for the most part. Of course we don't see the kind of complicated cgi like we see in shows like the new Galactica. But many of the effects are still amazing, especially considering it was shot for television in the 70's. Gigantic explosions, gorgeous Eagle lift-offs and landings, countless alien ships and landscapes, impressive eagle crashes - they all look pretty fantastic, with a few random shots that don't hold up so well. The set designs are also still incredible even today - nothing else before or since looked like the interiors of Moonbase Alpha. Overall it's still a gorgeous series visually.

And many of the sci-fi concepts and ideas, especially in year 1, hold up very well today. Many of the same plots in Space:1999 episodes were used later in shows like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and Star Trek:The Next Generation.

As far as music goes, the disco heard occasionally in year 1 dates it of course, but it's infrequent. Most of year 1 uses original orchestral scores, along with classical compositions and library music. Year 2 has a very fast, jazzy sounding score - people either love it or hate it. I love it but it's very different from year 1.

Last edited by mar3o; 04-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #416

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Just bring it out.
Panasonic 60vt60
Pioneer EliteSC61- Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI
Pioneer Elite 05FD
Pioneer 51FD
2 OPPO83'S Two S-VHS vcr's
SVS SB12 NSD
Paradigm Studio 10 v.5's &490cc
Paradigm Signature 2's Acurus A200
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #417

Jun 2008
Boston

I see the Andercon schedule had "The Bringers of Wonder" Pts 1 and 2 in HD on the agenda for the weekend. Hopefully we'll get a blu-ray street date along with the presentation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
space 1999