Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Taken 3 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Rose (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Sullivanís Travels (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Continuum: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Merchant of Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Cries & Whispers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
American Horror Story: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #1361

Jan 2015
Around

I haven't acted like anything lol, you're assuming
1% of pcs huh? did you just make that up?
The poster I replied to, made it seem like such an arduous effort, I can do both caps quite easily, with a 5 year old BD ROM
Who mentioned anything abt the ball?, you're assuming again, the fact the poster has made this into something too hard, when it actuality, it's not
Many forum members can do so, when they know how, simple huh?

As for taking a pic with a cell phone, um yes it can be done quite easily, based on they can relay the simple, the ball is there or it's not information, am I right

Thanks given by:
NightShade560 (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #1362
Special Member

Jul 2014

Not sure why you are going back to my comment from months ago, but no, I don't have a BD drive on my laptop. I have no need for it, that is what I have a TV and a PS3 for.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 AM   #1363

Jan 2015
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Not sure why you are going back to my comment from months ago, but no, I don't have a BD drive on my laptop. I have no need for it, that is what I have a TV and a PS3 for.
Because I was curious as I had just done around 20 caps today for a 3 by side comparison for EFNY
While specific frames were not of a concern, this was more for color and contrast, so since it was fresh in my mind, I posted..
But your previous comment on how hard it was to upload a pic from your cam to PC and post here is somewhat baffling

Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #1364

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken 1997 View Post
Because I was curious as I had just done around 20 caps today for a 3 by side comparison for EFNY
While specific frames were not of a concern, this was more for color and contrast, so since it was fresh in my mind, I posted..
But your previous comment on how hard it was to upload a pic from your cam to PC and post here is somewhat baffling

Dude. Your act is wearing thin. Go back to where you came from and stop bumping this thread with JV debate antics.

EDIT: I've just caught up on the SF EFNY thread and you are a huge boon in there posting relevant, helpful material. Maybe we're catching you at an off moment in here.
Don't squat with your spurs on.

Last edited by Mateo Sanboval; 01-17-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #1365

Jan 2015
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo Sanboval View Post
Dude. Your act is wearing thin. Go back to where you came from and stop bumping this thread with JV debate antics.

EDIT: I've just caught up on the other thread and you are a huge boon in there posting relevant, helpful material. Maybe we're catching you at an off moment in here.
It's all good, I have gone through the process myself to see which is the best copy of any film to obtain, 1st and foremost PQ
Like I posted elsewhere, I do believe I have 10 copies of the same film, which is a bit beyond a joke, so when I see someone post which copy is better, I am curious to how they came to that conclusion, without any real evidence
I have both HD DVD and BR of The Thing, and I can attest that the HD is better
This isn't nit picking, it's trying to establish which ultimately is better and why
Back to EFNY, I just hope that my 720P woeful TV rip does not look better than the SF release
My major concern is, always having to buy another CE with promises of, This is the best version
Funnily enough, I do believe I have 5 copies of The Thing too, so the relevance of my posting is from frustration

If I come across a little too abrupt, maybe this is from me having to wait 3 days before my account was activated, hence why you see a flurry of activity from me
Ultimately, we all have the same goal, Picture and Sonic quality which brings our favorite films alive

Old 01-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #1366
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

The HD DVD probably is better. The only thing I was responding to was "OMG THE BALL IS MISSING" and saying it's not really missing in motion, it's just absent from a few frames. You then insisted it was super simple to prove this, but not everyone has a BD drive in their computer. In fact I know no one who does, and haven't seen a laptop that comes with one on the shelf for years.

No one is denying they used some DNR on the BD release and didn't on the HD DVD release. It's subtle but it's definitely there. I don't think it's worth owning an HD DVD player for though
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM   #1367
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Like I said, I don't think anyone ever denied that DNR was used on the BD. We just said in motion the ping-pong ball is there.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #1368

Jun 2010

I just took a look at that comparison...
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (01-18-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #1369
Special Member

Jul 2014

Quote:

Yeah, it is hard to do caps when you don't have a BD drive.

And I didn't say it was hard to upload a pic from my camera, I said the last time I took of a picture of the TV screen the picture came out crappy.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #1370

Jan 2015
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Draculi View Post
Yeah, it is hard to do caps when you don't have a BD drive.

And I didn't say it was hard to upload a pic from my camera, I said the last time I took of a picture of the TV screen the picture came out crappy.
No, you said you did not have the type of dedication to take a pic, upload to your pc then post here

I checked yesterday, both HD DVD and BR, and yes the amount of processing on the BR is evident which makes the ball seem to disappear
If you use frame by frame, you can see the position of the ball, otherwise, it would be near impossible to see where the ball was unless you had the HD DVD reference for comparison
Old 01-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #1371
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
No, you said you did not have the type of dedication to take a pic, upload to your pc then post here

I checked yesterday, both HD DVD and BR, and yes the amount of processing on the BR is evident which makes the ball seem to disappear
If you use frame by frame, you can see the position of the ball, otherwise, it would be near impossible to see where the ball was unless you had the HD DVD reference for comparison
Hahaha oh come on. In motion you see the ball bouncing around fine.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #1372

Jan 2015
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Hahaha oh come on. In motion you see the ball bouncing around fine.
Sorry, this isn't the point of the discussion is it? the amount of processing leaves a lot to be desired
Think what you want, if you haven't done the test yourself, why bother commenting on it?
I also checked the amount of detail on both formats, seems that the over processed BR looses detail, given most people have larger TVs or projectors these days, I am pretty sure I know what I would want to watch
Given that I did sit through the HD DVD last night, I could not be happier with it...
Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #1373
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Sorry, this isn't the point of the discussion is it? the amount of processing leaves a lot to be desired
Think what you want, if you haven't done the test yourself, why bother commenting on it?
I also checked the amount of detail on both formats, seems that the over processed BR looses detail, given most people have larger TVs or projectors these days, I am pretty sure I know what I would want to watch
Given that I did sit through the HD DVD last night, I could not be happier with it...
These are different arguments. I totally agree the BD has DNR. I totally agree if you still have an HD DVD player that's the version to watch. That doesn't mean I have to agree the ping-pong ball is missing in motion, which it certainly is not.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #1374

Mar 2011

Quote:
How do you feel about the EE on the HD DVD? I own both and am disappointed by the amount of ringing present on the HD DVD and Blu.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #1375

Jan 2015
Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmatt View Post
How do you feel about the EE on the HD DVD? I own both and am disappointed by the amount of ringing present on the HD DVD and Blu.
Given this was released back in 2006 on HD DVD, I doubt Universal really new what they were doing as HD DVD was the new kid on the block (referring to the HD authoring here)
To us back then, this would have been the best the movie has ever looked, I get the macro blocking, other artifacts as you pointed out EE
This is just the author cheating to an easy way out. I know Criterion would never do anything like this, but they don't seem to be as big as they used to as they were with Laser Disk

As a reference point Blade Runner has to be one of the best restorations ever done, this is from an overall stance, PQ, SQ, Extras
My The Thing HD DVD copy from 8 years ago can stand up to any re released now, why? because I think I only payed around $5 for it, probably less

I won't get another The Thing till I know it's been fixed, like BR was, other wise, why should we be supporting the industry when all they do is promise us the moon and give us Uranus?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America