Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Toy Story of Terror! (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #6981
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony released it themselves.
In the US? I'd be stunned. a) Sony has yet to release any title that they initially licensed to TT. b) When's the last time Sony released a horror movie from the '80s/'90s on BD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
There is already a "color correct" HD master available. Money is most certainly not the reason...

I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread, you can get the HDX version on Vudu and it's got the correct color without blue tint (and it's been available for years).
The one with the correct color is an older master. The newer, crappy blue one is more current--and was recently seen on Encore (the movie channel).
Old 07-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #6982
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
In the US? I'd be stunned. a) Sony has yet to release any title that they initially licensed to TT. b) When's the last time Sony released a horror movie from the '80s/'90s on BD?

The one with the correct color is an older master. The newer, crappy blue one is more current--and was recently seen on Encore (the movie channel).
Not sure if you missed the comments from TT about Christine, but when asked about them re-releasing that film, they made it sound like Sony might be re-releasing it themselves. That's always been a possibility with TT titles of course, but the comments from TT seem to have come out of the blue.

Sony has mostly been a barren desert when it comes to catalog titles, but I just have a feeling that they will be looking at the sales for the sold out titles from TT, and will consider a release for some.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #6983
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Not sure if you missed the comments from TT about Christine, but when asked about them re-releasing that film, they made it sound like Sony might be re-releasing it themselves. That's always been a possibility with TT titles of course, but the comments from TT seem to have come out of the blue.

Sony has mostly been a barren desert when it comes to catalog titles, but I just have a feeling that they will be looking at the sales for the sold out titles from TT, and will consider a release for some.
Oh, I just thought TT meant Christine might get released by someone else (but not necessarily Sony).
Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #6984
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Oh, I just thought TT meant Christine might get released by someone else (but not necessarily Sony).
Certainly could be, though if Sony were to sub-license it again, you'd think they'd go with TT again, as I imagine they'd get more money out that deal, than say Mill Creek.

I'd say the last sentence here implies a direct release by Sony (or any oter studio working with TT), rather than another label. I do think he's just talking in general, and Christine is likely renewed already for another TT release, but I guess time will tell.

Quote:
Twilight Time DVD Label There is a chance the film may be re-released in future, although not necessarily by us. Studio slates are always in constant flux, and our job, as we have explained many times before, is to be a "premium platform" for certain titles that may or may not be given a wider rollout down the line. Our 3,000 unit model has proven very successful in identifying for the majors which titles might be given that opportunity.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #6985
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Maybe in the U.K. They don't release much at all in the U.S., so it's hard to "expect" anything. But that really has nothing to do with what they've licensed to Twilight Time... they just don't release much of anything period. Certainly they have no obligation to Twilight Time after the 3 year license is up. So they could start randomly licensing them, but more likely they would go to Mill Creek or something (or Twilight Time can go for round 2).

Quote:
Yes I figured that already, but it would still be acceptable to release.

Additionally I'm not really sure how "baked in" or how expensive it would be for Sony to just go back and fix the color on their newest master. Doesn't make sense for them to 4K almost every bit of their work, but then leave an oversight like that permanently in their archive.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #6986
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Maybe Sony would give some of these titles a whirl on UHD disc, at least those that were 4K scans for blu-ray. It would probably still be pressed in relatively limited numbers - but there might be some interest for Sony to use some of these *if* they plan on throwing some random catalog out there for the launch of UHD disc.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #6987
Special Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

Quote:
Additionally I'm not really sure how "baked in" or how expensive it would be for Sony to just go back and fix the color on their newest master. Doesn't make sense for them to 4K almost every bit of their work, but then leave an oversight like that permanently in their archive.
Usually a studio backs up the scan before the additional work has been done to it that way they could go back to it if need be. However that would involve them going back and retiming it yet again so it still wouldn't be exactly like the old master but it could be better if done right. The problem I see is that Sony already put money into the current restoration so I highly doubt they would allocate the funds for yet another remaster for a B-movie like NOTLD '90. Crazier things have happened though so it still remains to be seen.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Old 07-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #6988
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Maybe Sony would give some of these titles a whirl on UHD disc, at least those that were 4K scans for blu-ray. It would probably still be pressed in relatively limited numbers - but there might be some interest for Sony to use some of these *if* they plan on throwing some random catalog out there for the launch of UHD disc.
I do wonder if some known remasters like Die Hard ware waiting on UBD to come to market. Not because they would be UBD exclusive (that would be insane), but for combo-pack and cross-marketing reasons. Some of Sony's 4k remasters could definitely be in the same boat.

It's also just as likely Sony put out a quick BD for titles TT sold out of quickly though, or license them to someone who offered more like Scream or Arrow.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #6989
Special Member

Oct 2009
New Bedford, MA

Unfortunately, I think all we will see from UBD in the first year or so will be top tier titles. The same ones we've all seen rereleased about a zillion times. Maybe somewhere down the road they will start going to the catalog but not right away.
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-ray Disc/DVD Player
Pioneer VSX-819H Receiver
Samsung PN51E550 Plasma HDTV
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America