Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Blu-ray)
$19.04
9 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$7.88
8 hrs ago
Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93

Psycho Biddy Double Feature: Strait-Jacket / Berserk! (Blu-ray)
$8.39
8 hrs ago
Shrek 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #21

Nov 2009

Thank-you for all the effort OldPangYau, much appreciated!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
Thank-you for all the effort OldPangYau, much appreciated!
No problem, but until I buy any of these, I feel a pinch useless However, I've now updated the page with the "Fist Collection" blus (Spiritual Kung Fu, Snake and Crane: Arts of Shaolin, Shaolin Wooden Men, Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, Fearless Hyena, and Dragon Fist) with a few video clips as well
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Power Member

Dec 2009

Well, I've updated quite a bit... but it got to the point where the post was too long. Crap
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Of all these, I only have The Protector. Here's my short user review.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
Power Member

Dec 2009

Nice, that is indeed one I've been contemplating picking up. Meanwhile, how can I make a follow up to finish my updates? It seems I hit my limit!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #26

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

Its a shame virtually all the Japanese releases contain no English subs there are so many id like to get and kam & Ronson (HK) seems to be un willing or unable to release chans other firms on Blu.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #27
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintrus View Post
Its a shame virtually all the Japanese releases contain no English subs there are so many id like to get and kam & Ronson (HK) seems to be un willing or unable to release chans other firms on Blu.
True, most of these don't seem too "English friendly", aside from Wheels on Meals and The Protector... however, the "Japanese theatrical reproduction" of Young Master, if I read correctly, should have an English mono track alongside the Japanese mono track.

Meanwhile, I managed to track down screencaps of Fearless Hyena, and while it *may* be an upconvert, it looks better than the Hong Kong Legends DVD. The colors seem better (not so washed out, and better black levels), plus there seems to be more detail in the Japanese blu-ray. Here are some comparisons:

Comparison 1:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL1-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN1.jpg

Comparison 2:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL2-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN2.jpg

Comparison 3:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL3-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN3.jpg

If you look at comparison #2, you'll see there's some "smudging" on the Hong Kong Legends disc, while the Japanese blu is more stable. So either the Japanese blu-ray picked up a new master, or the HKL version had some extra "tweaking". Not only that, but the "haloing" (I'm sensing edge enhancement) at the top and bottom of the frame is far less prominent on the Japanese blu than the HKL.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #28

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

I bought Protector. but I went for Kam & Ronsons Wheels on Meals as I wanted Jackies original voice with subs rather than some english dub.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
I bought Protector. but I went for Kam & Ronsons Wheels on Meals as I wanted Jackies original voice with subs rather than some english dub.
Well, if you're expecting Jackie's original voice in any Hong Kong film before 1992 (Police Story III: Supercop, to be exact), you're gonna have a bad time Hong Kong films had some kind of separate "voice actors union", meaning no one dubbed their own voices. This being said, when they actually shot Police Story III: Supercop with on-set sound instead of dubbing the whole thing, it caused a whole giant ruckus as it signaled that voice actors would potentially be out of the job, including Jackie's voice actor (whose name is currently eluding me, but he did Jackie's Cantonese voice in virtually every film since the Lo Wei days). This being said, Hong Kong films, or at least Jackie's films, didn't start filming with sound again (and Jackie's real voice, for that matter) until Rumble in the Bronx in 1995. So on that note, films like Crime Story (1993) and Drunken Master II (1994) "regressed" into being strictly shot silent and dubbed later... which is why the only way to hear Jackie's real voice for DMII is the Dimension-dubbed version.

So yeah, that Cantonese voice you're hearing in Wheels on Meals? Not Jackie's. However, I also understand the preference for subtitled over dubbed, as this is my preference 90% of the time as well... it just so happens that Wheels on Meals falls into my 10% of being preferred dubbed, for both the above average dub job and the now classic music score. The score in the Cantonese version sounds, well, generic. The score in the dubbed version, however, has always been a fan favorite, especially the cue "Battle in the Old Castle", which plays during the Jackie VS Benny "The Jet" fight. Perhaps if they had the music score from the dubbed version play with the Cantonese dialogue, it'd be perfect! In fact, one fan made a fan video on YouTube that mixed the English dub's music score with the Cantonese language for the above mentioned fight... sounds really good!

But once again, a matter of preference
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
True, most of these don't seem too "English friendly", aside from Wheels on Meals and The Protector... however, the "Japanese theatrical reproduction" of Young Master, if I read correctly, should have an English mono track alongside the Japanese mono track.

Meanwhile, I managed to track down screencaps of Fearless Hyena, and while it *may* be an upconvert, it looks better than the Hong Kong Legends DVD. The colors seem better (not so washed out, and better black levels), plus there seems to be more detail in the Japanese blu-ray. Here are some comparisons:
[Show spoiler]
Comparison 1:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL1-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN1.jpg

Comparison 2:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL2-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN2.jpg

Comparison 3:
Hong Kong Legends DVD (upscaled for comparison): http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...HKL3-UpRes.jpg
Japanese blu-ray: http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...Yau/FHJPN3.jpg

If you look at comparison #2, you'll see there's some "smudging" on the Hong Kong Legends disc, while the Japanese blu is more stable. So either the Japanese blu-ray picked up a new master, or the HKL version had some extra "tweaking". Not only that, but the "haloing" (I'm sensing edge enhancement) at the top and bottom of the frame is far less prominent on the Japanese blu than the HKL.
Nice comparison! The great thing about a side-by-side comparisons is that u clearly see the bump in quality from DVD to Blu. Its mostly minimal and sometimes difficult to accept that there's any improvement at all but as with the case here, I clearly see improvements.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #31

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

Well I didn't know that's something new on me .
Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #32
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
Nice comparison! The great thing about a side-by-side comparisons is that u clearly see the bump in quality from DVD to Blu. Its mostly minimal and sometimes difficult to accept that there's any improvement at all but as with the case here, I clearly see improvements.
Yeah, I honestly thought it would've been a direct upscale of the current SD, as I've seen some that just make me go "well, I'll save some money and pop in the DVD." Like the Kam and Ronson blus of the first two Police Story films look like upscales of the Dragon Dynasty DVDs! Not even the HK DVDs! But yeah, you can see a difference here between the pale/smudgy HKL disc and the more colorful Japanese blu-ray

Quote:
Well I didn't know that's something new on me .
Yep, a lot of people still automatically think they'll hear Jackie's real voice when watching a film of his in Cantonese Supercop is the only one I can think of in which you'll hear his real voice in both the subtitled and dubbed versions, although the same could be said for Rumble in the Bronx, but half of his dialogue is in English in the HK cut anyway. But yeah, pretty much any Chinese JC film from New Fist of Fury to about Armour of God 2: Operation Condor will have someone else dub Jackie's voice in Cantonese or Mandarin. His voice actor actually played in an HK film as himself (something about voice actors, obviously), but for the life of me, I can't remember his name!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #33

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

theres a ton of the Jap releases id like but since there not english friendly I'm going to see if they come out in HK with subs since I want to replace my dvd versions of them.

WINNERS & SINNERS
MY LUCKY STARS:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS:
THE ARMOUR OF GOD
HEART OF DRAGON

Last edited by Vintrus; 08-14-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

I went over the first post and holy hell! All these Jackie Chan classics have been released over in Japan?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #35
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
I went over the first post and holy hell! All these Jackie Chan classics have been released over in Japan?
Indeed I'd post more, but it looks like I hit my limit on the first post... crap
Old 08-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #36

Jan 2009
QLD, Australia

I have put most if not all in the main database now so search to your hearts content.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #37
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
I have put most if not all in the main database now so search to your hearts content.
Awesome! Nice work!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
Indeed I'd post more, but it looks like I hit my limit on the first post... crap
You could PM a mod to duplicate a post for you to expand.

I'd be down for Spiritual Kung-Fu and Half a Loaf of Kung-Fu.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #39
Power Member

Dec 2009

Well, I just contacted a moderator, so hopefully they'll help. I think one more post right under the initial one should do it for now. Then I can add the Fearless Hyena comparison caps.

Meanwhile, as much as I'd like to get the new "Fist Series" box set, I just can't see plunking down nearly $200 for movies that I "kinda" like... out of the six films in the set, Fearless Hyena is my favorite, so I may at least get that one for now. I'd like the extra goodies in the set, but since I've already missed the other box sets, no point in trying to get this one as a completist However, I may get the Young Master/Dragon Lord box set next month.

Also, Paramout Japan is re-releasing their Bruce Lee blu-rays with new features, covers, etc, so I may start a thread about those as well!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Well, I was over on XE and Spiritual Kung Fu is $30 before shipping. So, that's a lot cheaper than, say, buying a Japanese Godzilla Blu-ray. So, maybe I could see myself buying a few of those, ripping them and encoding subtitles. But, for now, eh, the shipping is still a killer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia