Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Batman Ninja (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
14 hrs ago
The Foreigner (Blu-ray)
$10.99

Fifty Shades Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Strike Back: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$23.99
14 hrs ago
I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Matrix Revolutions 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
14 hrs ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 07-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPangYau View Post
The only way K&R could screw this up is if they just have a poorly compressed transfer of the master, as the 4K master was restored and remastered by L'Immagine Ritrovata. Ritrovata also restored the mono tracks, but *THAT* may be K&R's downfall, as they'll most likely only use remixes. I hate to sound like a broken record, but I suspect that either a company in the UK or US will release this with proper mono. Still thinking it could be Masters of Cinema in the UK and Criterion in the US.

The only reason I keep bringing up the latter is because Criterion is already releasing Ritrovata's restorations of the King Hu films (A Touch of Zen and Dragon Inn), and they're no stranger to John Woo's films in the early days of their DVD releases. Releasing A Better Tomorrow would be a good "testing ground" for them to see if they should have new releases of The Killer and Hard Boiled. But that's just my theory. And that also comes down to whether or not those two films will have proper restorations as well.

Anyway, end tangent... hopefully someone will have a quick review of this in the next few days. Screencaps would be even better

Criterion spoilt me with The Killer and Hard Boiled on dvd back in the day. I still have those and later on the DD versions. I certainly would upgrade for those 2 movies in 4k mastered with original mono. As far as A Better Tomorrow goes, I am holding out until some reviews trickle in. I would imagine at some point that Nova Media might release the superior version. I do not want to start double-dipping on 4k remasters just yet. I am having the same feelings that you are regarding K&R. I feel that either no mono or some crappy compression issue or something will rear up causing us fans to say "almost, but not good enough". Instead, I will be spending my money on some of these UK Shaw Brothers releases, unless the news is good.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #22
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Criterion spoilt me with The Killer and Hard Boiled on dvd back in the day. I still have those and later on the DD versions. I certainly would upgrade for those 2 movies in 4k mastered with original mono. As far as A Better Tomorrow goes, I am holding out until some reviews trickle in. I would imagine at some point that Nova Media might release the superior version. I do not want to start double-dipping on 4k remasters just yet. I am having the same feelings that you are regarding K&R. I feel that either no mono or some crappy compression issue or something will rear up causing us fans to say "almost, but not good enough". Instead, I will be spending my money on some of these UK Shaw Brothers releases, unless the news is good.
That pretty much sums it up. And the other thing is, with 4K discs picking up speed, it'd be nice to see these in combo packs. This way, at least we'd be prepared with 4K discs, but could watch the blu-ray version if we don't have the hardware. Of course, many companies still aren't latching onto 4K releases of catalog titles unless they know they can cash in on something (Fox with Independence Day, Sony with Ghostbusters, etc.).

On that note, I'd be surprised if Criterion didn't jump into the 4K game someday, considering they've been on the bandwagon of every disc format thus far. Hell, they were the ones who would release laserdiscs of films when most companies wouldn't bother with them. This is how we got Criterion releases of James Bond films, Ghostbusters, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, etc. Only time will tell if these new restorations will get 4K discs, or if we can only see them in full 4K in theaters (at the stray film festival, here and there) and settle for 1080p on blu-ray.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #23

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
Instead, I will be spending my money on some of these UK Shaw Brothers releases, unless the news is good.
I'm looking forward to the 88 Asia collection too. I really want to pick up the limited edition slipcases of the first 4 titles announced (Hex, Five Element Ninjas, Black Magic, House of Traps) but I read there are only going to be 100 copies each.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibal View Post
I'm looking forward to the 88 Asia collection too. I really want to pick up the limited edition slipcases of the first 4 titles announced (Hex, Five Element Ninjas, Black Magic, House of Traps) but I read there are only going to be 100 copies each.

100 copies of each title that will have a slipcover or 100 copies of each movie? Either way, that sucks! I am all for the slipcover! Hope to get one for Hex and House of Traps. On the fence regarding Five Element Ninja; just because I have the region 1 blu-ray. Might get it for the cover art and extras (if there are any).

Anyways, back to our regular scheduled program....

We should be seeing some reviews here soon on A Better Tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what happens. This will be a good indicator of things to come.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #25
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

There is a demo about the restoration of it, on Ritrovata's website.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

I got the disc. Drumroll.........

The video is letterboxed. It's a letterboxed blu-ray, a letterboxed bluray!

[Show spoiler]kidding. I didnt get the blu yet.
Thanks given by:
Latheofheaven (04-01-2018), Russ103 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #27

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
I got the disc. Drumroll.........

The video is letterboxed. It's a letterboxed blu-ray, a letterboxed bluray!

[Show spoiler]kidding. I didnt get the blu yet.
Whoa my heart just dropped good one there.....
Thanks given by:
GavSalkeld (11-19-2016), toddly6666 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarm84 View Post
Whoa my heart just dropped good one there.....
haha, thanks! I will pick up the blu later and let everyone know first impressions on video, audio and English sub quality.
Thanks given by:
Fabs (07-08-2016), Russ103 (07-08-2016), ZeTi (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

haha wow that's evil. Getting mine from ddhouse but will take a few days.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

image.jpg
Thanks given by:
Fabs (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #31
Power Member

Jul 2009
Austria

Money saved, thanks.
My Music Collection • "The life of a Repo Man is always intense."
Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #32
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
[Show spoiler]Attachment 145778
Eagerly waiting for your comments on it
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Eagerly waiting for your comments on it
Maybe even a bdinfo scan with bitrates??
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #34
Special Member

Aug 2010
Bodø, Norway

It will be unfair only to get A Better Tomorrow and not the second film in this quality. I remember i didn't enjoy the third so much.
Thanks given by:
GavSalkeld (11-19-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Maybe even a bdinfo scan with bitrates??
Sorry, I dont have that equipment. English text on back cover doesnt look too hot. Im assuming it will be same English subs as previous version (I dont remember how good or bad they were).

Will be home in one hour to give first impressions!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #36
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

Eh, if you watch enough HK DVDs you get used to the subtitling, and you begin to understand them as if they were fluent English.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #37
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Wow, some leopards don't change their spots, I see.

According to the back cover, the disc is a BD-25, but of course, there's "ample room" for the (16-bit, I'm sure) "original" Cantonese: DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio, as well as the Mandarin lossy track. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the disc is exactly the same, except that the video encode is now from the new 4K master--a master which (of course) no Hong Kong or Chinese film studio had anything to do with funding, since they clearly never cared enough, as has been demonstrated time and again for at least fifteen years or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompa View Post
It will be unfair only to get A Better Tomorrow and not the second film in this quality. I remember i didn't enjoy the third so much.
Don't hold your breath. The only reason this one got remastered is because the Shanghai International Film Festival has an ongoing series of restorations bankrolled (if not fully, than at least in the majority) by Swiss luxury watchmaker Jaeger-LeCoultre. Unfortunately, the announcement of this restoration came back in 2014, and did not include mention of the sequels. Considering only so many projects can be funded in this way, I fully expect that only the first film has been remastered.

I could have sworn that I saw news last year of a very wealthy businessman who was self-funding one or two more Asian/HK film restorations, but the details are very fuzzy in my mind.

Hopefully, more wonderful private businesses and citizens will step forward to fund the restoration of these cinema classics. I suppose we can all be thankful that this isn't an MGM-type situation, where hubris and incompetence prevent anyone from even making an attempt to fund a restoration for them, so at least these studios are now willing to turn the elements over to people who care.

Still, it's hilarious to realize that pretty much any other future Blu-ray edition of this master will probably blow this HK BD away.
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 07-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Here's DragonLee's review of the old bluray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Bett...1/#UserReviews

This new bluray seems pretty much the same. I personally dont mind that it looks like a decent dvd and is perfectly watchable but I think most of you will be disappointed. If the old bluray video quality is a 2.5 out of 5 then this one gets a 3 out of 5. If old audio gets a 3 out of 5, then the new one gets a 3.5 out of 5. Extras are a 30 minute making of, two interviews which are 9 minutes each and a trailer all with no English subs. The movie's English subs seemed okay but not perfect.

Nothing special bluray. I had just watched those restored Hui brothers blurays which are obviously HD and beautiful. Going from The Magic Touch to this version of Better Tomorrow is a huge downgrade.

I would like someone else to review this blu because It's even possible that nothing changed compared to the previous blu but quite possible it looks slightly better than previous one - I really dont remember how bad the first blu was. Im being very strict this time since Im usually accepting of K&R blus. Chalk this one up as another Superbit DVD.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #39
Expert Member

Nov 2009

Thanks for your first impressions, can't say im surprised , K+R always treat there releases with shoddy presentation and this seems like no exception.
Lets hope somebody like Eureka , Arrow or Criterion pick this up to release and do it justice.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #40
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Don't hold your breath. The only reason this one got remastered is because the Shanghai International Film Festival has an ongoing series of restorations bankrolled (if not fully, than at least in the majority) by Swiss luxury watchmaker Jaeger-LeCoultre. Unfortunately, the announcement of this restoration came back in 2014, and did not include mention of the sequels. Considering only so many projects can be funded in this way, I fully expect that only the first film has been remastered.
Well, we've already established that L'Immagine Ritrovata is even restoring something as niche as the Lo Wei Jackie Chan films, so anything is possible at this point.

As for the new ABT blu-ray, definitely need someone to grab screencaps. If they can match the caps-a-holic caps, even better.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia