Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$7.21
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Dark Crystal (Blu-ray)
$14.12
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Hammer Films Double Feature: Never Take Candy from a Stranger/Scream of Fear (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Jeepers Creepers 3 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannick View Post
just a quick note, i haven't gotten my order yet. it's with a friend who ordered it for me and he's got other real life stuff to do... patience.
He's got no business living his life proper when we're all waiting here for information.

You tell him to get his ass in gear, pronto!
Old 08-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #22

Jan 2016

told him, he didn't take that advice sadly...
Old 08-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #23

Jan 2016

Carry on Pickpocket is remastered HD and original Mono (no English Subs of course. Mark, you know where to find it sooner or later...)

Old 08-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #24

Jan 2016

Iron-fisted Monk is upscaled remixed Trash
Old 08-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Carry on Pickpocket is remastered HD and original Mono (no English Subs of course. Mark, you know where to find it sooner or later...)

Quote:
Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #26
Power Member

Mar 2013
-

Quote:

I am still going to pick this up at some point. That and Knockabout. It would have been nice to have them with English subs but the upscale was totally expected. Really wish that Nova would have gotten ahold of these titles as FS don't seem to want to release them via K&R. Of course, we really need new masters, but, really don't see it happening. At least with the upscale it is still possible to put together one`s own version with subs and original mono. Those old Fox dvd`s I have don't seem to hold up so well these days. I`m still glad that I got Warriors Two as it was the companion piece to Prodigal Son. Though, not into the Elvis soundtrack, as I call it. Maybe someday FS will role out some more true HD releases but other than some BL or JC, they don't seem to be that interested in it. They have so many titles that will be stuck in the dvd realm forever, it seems. Really sad.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #27

Jan 2016

it's better than the DVDs yes, but just by the higher Bitrate and non-interlacing which plagued most of the DVDs from that time. still that horrible Audio...
Old 08-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #28
Power Member

Mar 2013
-

Here are a few pictures that I took of the magazine:

WT1.jpg

Booklet.jpg

Booklet2.jpg

Booklet3.jpg
Old 08-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I am still going to pick this up at some point. That and Knockabout.
How is Knockabout (for anyone that has it)?

Expecting the worst...
Old 08-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #30

Jan 2016

as that was in the same release range as was WARRIORS TWO and IRON-FISTED MONK in the USA for DVD (remastered SD) , you can except the worst. i do and thus not even trying it.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:13 AM   #31

Feb 2011
In Technicolor

These are still going strong.

26. Heroes of the East
27. Mr. Vampire 4
28. Spooky Encounters

Nothing horribly exciting. The Japanese Blu-ray (from Fortune Star) of Mr. Vampire 4 is not an upscale so I assume this will be the same disc or at least use the same master.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Fortune Star should be arrested for crimes perpetrated against cinema.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #33

Feb 2011
In Technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
Fortune Star should be arrested for crimes perpetrated against cinema.
The worst part is that Fortune Star only own the rights to most of these movies in Asia only and we're pretty much forced to rely on them to get any kind of release. There's a whole lot of stuff whose international distribution rights still belong to Golden Princess such as the Once Upon a Time in China and A Chinese Ghost Story movies. The thing is, Golden Princess are now in real estate and don't give a single shit about all the movies they own. They've even ignored requests from film festivals who want to do screenings. It's not like they're refusing to license the movies out either--they just completely ignore any requests or offers.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurhythm View Post
The worst part is that Fortune Star only own the rights to most of these movies in Asia only and we're pretty much forced to rely on them to get any kind of release. There's a whole lot of stuff whose international distribution rights still belong to Golden Princess such as the Once Upon a Time in China and A Chinese Ghost Story movies. The thing is, Golden Princess are now in real estate and don't give a single shit about all the movies they own. They've even ignored requests from film festivals who want to do screenings. It's not like they're refusing to license the movies out either--they just completely ignore any requests or offers.
Fortune Star have both Asian and international distribution rights to OUATIC 1-3.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #35
Power Member

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurhythm View Post

Maybe I should make them an offer they can't refuse! USD, $100!
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #36

Jan 2016

upcoming: "By Hook or by Crook" should be true HD also, but i don't think i will get it. too awful crap Movie

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0754T7G8H/
Thanks given by:
BigManDeath (09-11-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
upcoming: "By Hook or by Crook" should be true HD also, but i don't think i will get it. too awful crap Movie
I thought it wasn't too bad, except for Dean Shek.

But with the action confined to the final reel, I'll probably pass, too.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #38

Jan 2016

Nr.30 in the series is CHINESE BOXER, which is of course HD as it was released years ago in Japan on Bluray before (and is Celestial)
Thanks given by:
BigManDeath (09-18-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #39

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
How is Knockabout (for anyone that has it)?

Expecting the worst...
Just bit the bullet and ordered it. I love the movie too damn much to listen to my better judgment. Will report back in about a week.
Thanks given by:
Markgway (09-14-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #40

Nov 2007

Okay, so my order arrived today. As expected, "Knockabout" is an upscale, although I really don't think it looks that bad. It's a better visual experience than the old Fox DVD, that's for sure. That said, not including the original soundtrack is wrong, and there are no English subs. Oh well. I guess I'll have to put together my own "ultimate" (loosely defined) version. I haven't put in "Warriors Two" yet but, unless I edit this later, it's safe to assume it'll be the same story.

In case anybody is curious, specs are 5.1 Cantonese, mono Japanese, and Japanese subs. Extras are the original trailer (still standard-def, still MPEG-2, and possibly having some sort of framerate shift not in the one on the Fox trailer), the awful "new" trailer, and an eight-minute promo clip for the rest of the magazine's line of titles. Also, calling it a magazine is a bit of a stretch. It's more like a program one used to get at roadshows. Kinda neat but nothing that'll blow you away.

EDIT: Just poked around on "Warriors Two." Honestly, I think this is a nice upgrade from the Fox DVD. The picture still looks way too sharpened but shots just look better both in stills and in motion, especially background details. I wouldn't swear to it being true HD, but if it's an upscale, I really don't think it's all that bad. It's also slightly less lazy than the "Knockabout" Blu in that the trailer is in HD. Alas, as expected, the disc isn't English-friendly. Will have to mux in the original audio and some subs, but hey, I know the drill by now.

Last edited by flashback8; 09-19-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Added some "Warriors Two" info.
Thanks given by:
BigManDeath (09-22-2017), Markgway (09-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia