COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I really don't like that the White Sox are 27 games out of first in the AL Central.

But they are.
Is that a Baseball metaphor, because it's kinda lost on me.
Films of the Summer I'll check out: Guardians of the Galaxy, The Expendables 3, The Rover, Lucy, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood, Calvary, Frank, Godzilla, The Raid 2, The LEGO Movie, Under the Skin
Most Recent Blu-Ray Purchases: The LEGO Movie
Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

As much as I liked the series, I think there was not much wrong with The Last Airbender. I see many (understandable) reasons why people didn't like it, but most of them were not in the hands of Shyamalan. When a movie is not working, people say : It's the director. That's just ... ignorant. When they would think for about five minutes, they could see why the movie has problems and on what level someone is responsable or not. I don't have the time to do the research right now, but I remember it right well:

It was no secret that the movie would have been longer and more detailed if it was up to him. Scenes that were very important were actually filmed and ended up in the cutting room. Because he had to, the studio was making it very difficult and had a huge say in the final result. The fact that you can actually notice things were cut out says it all. For example, indeed, when Ang is discovered in the ice-rock, there actually was a fight scene. It got lost after "the boss" came in.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach
Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban˛ View Post

It was no secret that the movie would have been longer and more detailed if it was up to him. Scenes that were very important were actually filmed and ended up in the cutting room. Because he had to, the studio was making it very difficult and had a huge say in the final result. The fact that you can actually notice things were cut out says it all. For example, indeed, when Ang is discovered in the ice-rock, there actually was a fight scene. It got lost after "the boss" came in.
A shame, I am now particularly interested to see a directors cut. which would likely never happen.
"I don't always herdy dur mur flerpty floopin...

But when I do, I yer der schmer dor her der foomty, der shoopin flerpty dur"

The Swedish Chef!.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Is that a Baseball metaphor, because it's kinda lost on me.
Heh, fair enough.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

It saddens me that my first R-Rated film in the theater was the Happening... but whatevs. I used to be a fan of his, but now, he's name is taken as a joke.
Anna Faris' Biggest Fan

A year ago (June 2013), I saw Showgirls for the first time and it's changed my life.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #26

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
How about your movie just sucked, and you ruined what could have been great trilogy in the hands of another director? I actually gave TLA the benefit of the doubt going in, as it looked better than reviews suggested, but between the acting, the terrible writing, and the poor casting choices, I can safely say that it sucked. The visuals were probably the best part of it. I think they nailed a lot of what a live action Avatar would look like, it's just sad that M. Night couldn't deliver on the rest. I'm still hoping that after a few more years, there will be a reboot with someone capable at the helm.

+1

I thought this would be great, critics be damned. I guess I am not European enough.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Shropshire, England

I think he's in denial lol.

Just admit it Shyamalan, it's a crap film.

His "European Sensibility", lol he's full of s**t.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 09-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
And maybe, 20 years from now, I’ll get a good review, I’ll sit here together, and be like, “I got a good review! Woohoo!”
Is he completely oblivious to all the critical praise he got for The Sixth Sense? It currently has an 85 on RT, and deservedly so. I think it's his best film, and it also put him on the map. Unbreakable is pretty underrated, but I consider that a success too. I also enjoyed Signs, the plot is a little silly, but I think he worked up the tension quite well at parts. I'd say after that, things started going downhill for him. I go through times where I see one of his movies now and I say I'll never watch another, but then I see a new trailer and there's this hope that maybe..just maybe he's returned to form.

So rather than look forward to 20 years from now in the hopes of a good review, how about he look back to the past and find out what made those movies good-great, and his more recent ones crap.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 09-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Is he completely oblivious to all the critical praise he got for The Sixth Sense?
Think it's more like Orson Welles and Citizen Kane--
He put every first-director ambition he had into making a stylized story/look vision for his first film, developed a name as a New Maverick, spent the rest of his career trying to stylistically out-maverick his own reputation, and made a pompous, unhireable ivory-tower ass of himself.

(But at least you can still watch The Magnificent Ambersons, like you can still watch Unbreakable, before things turned bad...)
Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

I wonder what would happen if Shyamalan used all the best elements of his talent and made a movie under a fake name. I bet the critics wouldn't be that hard and the reviews would be about the movie itself. They way I see it, the guy made four great movies, two good ones and one OK-case that's still better than half of the theatrical shit we have to swallow every summer.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach
Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #31
Expert Member

May 2013
New Zealand

The only Shyamalan film I really enjoyed was Unbreakable, although The 6th Sense was good too; the rest weren't terrible, they were just mediocre. Hopefully he'll make some sort of amazing comeback with his next attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban˛ View Post
I wonder what would happen if Shyamalan used all the best elements of his talent and made a movie under a fake name. I bet the critics wouldn't be that hard and the reviews would be about the movie itself.
THAT would be a very interesting experiment; we'd finally get to see if the critics/audiences are judging the filmmaker rather than the films he makes!
"I've never been on any road that I didn't find interesting. You just have to know how to look; and what allows you to look and see is humility, which doesn't require of the road that it conform to your expectations, or your previous experience of roads."
~ DAVID MILCH
Old 09-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #32
Banned

Oct 2012

Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
Special Member

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I really don't like that the White Sox are 27 games out of first in the AL Central.

But they are.
Your team shouldn't have invested all its time on over-the-hill power hitters who swing at everything.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies