Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #541

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddyfan2012 View Post
I thought about getting the premiere collection I may but I still keep holding out for Fox to pull their heads out of the sand & release some more I mean I think there were only 7 left where she was one of the main cast members (if I counted correctly) the others I'd be willing to by on DVD. I also want Warner to release The Prince & The Showgirl on bluray fingers crossed.
I bought it for about 20 bucks. The quality is really good and I think there is material not on the bluray (havne't verified yet).

I just got through with Love Nest and Lets Make it Legal.

I think Love Nest was a fun movie. Marilyn never looked better. She is so damn sexy in this movie and I think this is the first one that I really and seriously salivated. lol I think the movie went right along, and while a little goofy, it was really all you could ask for for light fluff. Of note, the trailer has more of her putting on the stockings. The movie without question cut this part. Gotta love them trailers.

As fore Lets Make it Legal. This is the first one that I think MM was truly and utterly wasted. Other than her goofing around in a card game I think that it is almost worse than a cameo. While nice to see her in a bathing suit I just don't think she belonged in the movie. Then again the movie sucked too. Claudette was basically sleeping through the movie and seeing the young Robert Wagoner while interesting...it was also a snore. The whole thing was pretty painful to sit through. The movie was just downright silly...and I mean that in a bad way.

I am halfway through Clash By Night. So far I like it a lot. Barbara is great and MM is playing yet again...something a little different. It reminds me of Jennifer Jason Leigh in Last Exit to Brooklyn. She is young acting, but also got a bit of bite. I love how she punched that dude in the face for real! The quality has obviously jumped (not picture wise..but story and acting).

While I may go back and grab up Hometown Story, I think passing up As Young as You feel, Love Nest (for how great she looks and acts if nothing else!), Lets Make Love, Monkey Business, and especially Don't Bother to Knock is a crime. I don't hold my breath for bluray releases. Find some banged up copy on bluray and just enjoy those little extra movies! 17 movies for 25 bucks is a frickin steal! Hell even double the price is worth it.

Of course Marilyn Monroe Final Days is also worth seeking out because of the edited together footage from Something's Got to Give. Just my opinion.

*UPDATE*

Look at what Target has.

http://www.target.com/p/marilyn-the-...#guest-reviews

That is 8 movies that aren't on the bluray for 30 bucks! Hell the rest you can probably trade or sell and get a few bucks back (again, if there isn't any exclusive extras!).

Last edited by genesim; 01-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #542
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I watched Clash By Night this afternoon, by way of the Warner Bros DVD. I think that this is a brilliant film that benefits from Fritz Lang's direction in real location settings. The contrast of light and shadows that served Lang well in his other noir films lends a real intensity to the final half hour of this movie.

Marilyn Monroe is adorable in the film, especially during the early scene where she is walking out the cannery in her jeans and white shirt, and she has some hefty dramatic acting during some later moments.

Barbara Stanwyck owns this movie, though, and it's another strong role in her career that featured so many strong roles. Stanwyck was reportedly the highest paid female in America around this time, at least during her Double Indemnity days a few years earlier.

Robert Ryan, who was so amazing in the Robert Wise film noir, The Set-Up, delivers another multilayered performance here. He's not quite likeable, but that's the point, because he represents the fanciful white knight who captures the hearts of women, but fails to withstand the day-to-day responsibilities of relationships.

Clash By Night is interesting. Some of the scenes that go by unnoticed to today's audiences were probably quite shocking to early 1950s audiences who were not accustomed to such frank examinations of sexuality, marriage, and responsibility. Gender dynamics are so different now (thankfully), and I'm sure that gender studies classes could have a field day with this movie.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #543

Aug 2010

I too finished Clash By Night and Barbara is without question the star. I think it was an all around good story and all involved did a great job. Sorry to go against others, but I didn't find the movie boring at all. Matter of fact I think it was very unpredictable and had a good ending. I think the movie was very much ahead of its time.

I liked Paul Douglas (other than Barbara of course). He was the heart of the film. A big dim lug, but one you still identify with. I see that time and again. Example I guess would be Anthony Quinn in Requiem for a Heavyweight. The film was a surprise in quality.

Moving forward, We're Not Married. I think Marilyn's part was kinda lame. Once again her youth is wasted on cameo stuff. You know what else, Ginger Rogers got on my nerves too. Zsa Zsa's part was interesting and I had a problem with my disc playing. I will get that one replaced. I will revisit this film.

Don't Bother to Knock. Classic. This is without question MM darkest roles. When people question her acting they need to watch this film. I cringe with the girl in the window part. Yet like with Psycho, you find yourself in sympathy with the sick person. I like how Ann Banncroft is in it as well. I was so glad to revisit this one again. Nice part with her in stockings as well! Also I may have to go back and watch Hometown Story..why, well after seeing Thurston Howell from Gilligan's Island I have to pair that with the Skipper. lol No wonder people thought Tina Louis emulation would work for the series!

I admit I only watched Marilyn's part in Oh Henry. I plan on going back, but I was just too anxious for more. I thought her part was a nice little spot.

Now here is a shocker. Monkey Business was a disappointment to me. While Cary Grant was alright and his major "young" scene with Marilyn Monroe is the highlight, I just don't think it saves the film. I thought Ginger Rogers part was just plain stupid and I think she dragged the film down quite a bit. Sometime I don't think I get the "zany" humor (although Blazing Saddles rocks!), but at the same time I feel like the script writing took a nose dive for even that kind of movie. I just couldn't wait for the film to be over. I have no doubt that Rogers is a good actress (though I haven't watched anything else of hers), I just think she wasn't right for this film either. Yet MM was a sheer delight (speaking of sheer, another nice stocking scene as well!).

Which brings me to the last one watched since I am now moving back forward after getting those other movies in the mail.

There's No Business Like Show Business. WOW. While the movie is pretty much a long musical demo, it looks utterly fantastic. It shows off color is such a great way and it is obviously showcasing the cinemascope to great end. I thought the cast was pretty well done and Marilyns part was well done. I really can't believe how well this bluray looked.

I am looking forward to the movies coming up. Next is Seven Year Itch and that is an absolute highlight and I am sure will look great.

While I will have to go to DVD for Prince and the Showgirl and Lets Make Love, I feel the movies are taking up a rise in quality now. Also I am getting a little sad that the marathon is ending. It may take me a few days actually so I am going to savor the moment.

I may have to take a pit stop with My Week with Marilyn after Prince and the Showgirl.

My plan is to round out with just the footage of Something's got to give and then watch the documentary of The Legend of Marilyn Monroe.

I also have never seen "The Final Days", so I am wondering if I should stop the Legend at just before that respective part...then finish the documentary? Eh I know goofy, but just want to go as chrono as possible.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:10 AM   #544

Aug 2010

Seven Year Itch had the same problem as How to Marry A Millionaire. Varying quality. It could look great one second, then it does a strange flip. Must be the Eastman film thing?

That said, it was still better than I have ever seen it. Wonderful movie. I noticed on the trailer there was a slightly different take of her coming down the stairs. Much more suggestive. The deleted scene having the pipe wrench dropped out of the water..and *ahem* seemingly coming from an impossible place was also pretty out there.

I swear she could look so damn different, but yet another facet to her acting.
I am glad there are so many extras for the movie. It deserves it. There is not a whole lot I can say about this movie. It pretty much has to be seen to be believed. It such a sweet kind of story...of course the guy is kind of a dumb ass...there was no hurry to leave town. lol One note, when he leaves and she throws his shoes and waves...did MM ever seriously look more photographic? This film has so many moments, but damn!!

Bus Stop. Always been a wonderful movie. Not only is she acting completely different again, but if there is a girl version of Forrest Gump talking...this is it. lol Geez that dude takes stalking to the highest level. Robert Bray is funny as hell and the ass beating is pretty good. Once again Marilyn is showing some stockings top. I think her method acting paid off and her character is so soft and believable. Her "putting out the fire" with the wink is pretty different. I remember having a poster of this movie. MM was almost like a mythical figure. So much there. Once again it is easy to see her appeal. I don't know why, but I think of Punch Drunk Love. It is such a nutty kind of film, but yet you just believe those two could work things out. I have complained that the movie looks a little blue on the bluray and I stand by that. It just has such a weird color. Again, it looks very clear and nothing that I have a real problem with, but it does look more different then I remember seeing it.

I had never seen Prince and the Showgirl till now. I liked that movie too. While some parts seemed to drag, the part where she was emotional in the cathedral was well done. So many great scenes. Her signing was pretty out there as well. It really did seem like she was dubbed with another voice. The DVD looked pretty good. I question the aspect ratio, but every I look it says the it was originally filmed in full frame, so whatever.

So heck, I did follow-up with My Week with Marilyn. First the bad. I HATED how they did her doing Heat Wave and Black Magic. Both made absolutely no sense. Not only that, but they made her look completely and utterly horrible. Her ass was padded so bad, it was like a comic book sketch.

The movie on the other hand was very well done. Sure it played like a made for HBO movie (was it? lol), but it is a nice supplement to the Prince and the Showgirl. Matter of fact I recommend watching it BEFORE the movie. I think it will make you appreciate MM even more!

I just started Some Like it Hot. Her phsyical state is a little less, but as I understand she was pregnant. Don't get me wrong, she still looks radiant, but lets face it...she never looked better than her last two films. Other than her complete youth, MM was really at the top of her game and there is just no place higher to go. Well at least in a sense of the bombshell route goes.

I was watching Candle in the Wind and all I can think of is what a damn shame. I have always been a big fan of hers, but with this movie trek I have a new found appreciation for her work.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 AM   #545
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
Seven Year Itch had the same problem as How to Marry A Millionaire. Varying quality. It could look great one second, then it does a strange flip. Must be the Eastman film thing?

That said, it was still better than I have ever seen it. Wonderful movie. I noticed on the trailer there was a slightly different take of her coming down the stairs. Much more suggestive. The deleted scene having the pipe wrench dropped out of the water..and *ahem* seemingly coming from an impossible place was also pretty out there.

I swear she could look so damn different, but yet another facet to her acting.
I am glad there are so many extras for the movie. It deserves it. There is not a whole lot I can say about this movie. It pretty much has to be seen to be believed. It such a sweet kind of story...of course the guy is kind of a dumb ass...there was no hurry to leave town. lol One note, when he leaves and she throws his shoes and waves...did MM ever seriously look more photographic? This film has so many moments, but damn!!

Bus Stop. Always been a wonderful movie. Not only is she acting completely different again, but if there is a girl version of Forrest Gump talking...this is it. lol Geez that dude takes stalking to the highest level. Robert Bray is funny as hell and the ass beating is pretty good. Once again Marilyn is showing some stockings top. I think her method acting paid off and her character is so soft and believable. Her "putting out the fire" with the wink is pretty different. I remember having a poster of this movie. MM was almost like a mythical figure. So much there. Once again it is easy to see her appeal. I don't know why, but I think of Punch Drunk Love. It is such a nutty kind of film, but yet you just believe those two could work things out. I have complained that the movie looks a little blue on the bluray and I stand by that. It just has such a weird color. Again, it looks very clear and nothing that I have a real problem with, but it does look more different then I remember seeing it.

I had never seen Prince and the Showgirl till now. I liked that movie too. While some parts seemed to drag, the part where she was emotional in the cathedral was well done. So many great scenes. Her signing was pretty out there as well. It really did seem like she was dubbed with another voice. The DVD looked pretty good. I question the aspect ratio, but every I look it says the it was originally filmed in full frame, so whatever.

So heck, I did follow-up with My Week with Marilyn. First the bad. I HATED how they did her doing Heat Wave and Black Magic. Both made absolutely no sense. Not only that, but they made her look completely and utterly horrible. Her ass was padded so bad, it was like a comic book sketch.

The movie on the other hand was very well done. Sure it played like a made for HBO movie (was it? lol), but it is a nice supplement to the Prince and the Showgirl. Matter of fact I recommend watching it BEFORE the movie. I think it will make you appreciate MM even more!

I just started Some Like it Hot. Her phsyical state is a little less, but as I understand she was pregnant. Don't get me wrong, she still looks radiant, but lets face it...she never looked better than her last two films. Other than her complete youth, MM was really at the top of her game and there is just no place higher to go. Well at least in a sense of the bombshell route goes.

I was watching Candle in the Wind and all I can think of is what a damn shame. I have always been a big fan of hers, but with this movie trek I have a new found appreciation for her work.
While I haven't seen eye to eye with some of your likes/dislikes, I've enjoyed reading about your Marilathon! It's always nice to read about other people who enjoy Marilyn as an actress, a performer, and a person, looking past the hype, controversy and status as a pop culture icon.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #546

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
While I haven't seen eye to eye with some of your likes/dislikes, I've enjoyed reading about your Marilathon! It's always nice to read about other people who enjoy Marilyn as an actress, a performer, and a person, looking past the hype, controversy and status as a pop culture icon.
While everyone cannot agree, I do tend to debate differences to see something I might have missed.

I appreciate your input as well.

Looks like I have wrapped this all up. Some Like it Hot. It really deserves the masterpiece status, and while IMHO, not her best performance, it is without a doubt her best film. Man she had great curves and the bluray shows them to no end. I liked her a little bigger and her being pregnant illustrates how radiant a woman can be during that time. It is a shame she didn't have children because I honestly think it would have changed her trajectory to the good.

My one criticism of the film was Tony Curtis. I honestly felt like he played it a little lazy and other actors could have filled the shoes. On the other hand, Jack Lemmon was just great and I liked him in just about any scene. I also like how the film was a little dark, and choosing to film it in black and white was great choice. This really is a decent looking bluray.

As for Marilyn, I stand by this is far from her best. I used to think it was Seven Year Itch, but more and more I am starting to feel it was Prince and the Showgirl (btw as I am typing...these Broncos are getting SPANKED!). Btw..dig what looked like a stuntman in heels riding a bike to look like Marilyn at the end. I think she did a lot of running in heels in her movies..but this was just nutty.

Lets Make Love is next and it is what it is. I have a personal soft spot for the movie, but it does kind of drag. It has some witty humor and I like the cameos. Also I still think Marilyn looked pretty damn good. Matter of fact I would argue that she looks a little better than she did in Some Like it Hot. Being an Elvis musical fan, I also appreciate all the corny songs. This was obviously a light film, which was a guaranteed let down for the critics and wannabe fans. For me, it was another one for her arsenal of cool films. It exuded sexuality and considering her behavior during the making of the film, I can feel it in the performance. No one dances around in a sweater and pantyhose like her. lol Shame I had to watch this on DVD. I have to say out of the "Premium" collection...while remastered, it just didn't look very good. Btw, I think Ann Margaret in Viva Las Vegas was derivative of MM. It felt so similar and it was filmed so close to the time.

Next is the Misfits. Yet another transfer that is uneven. The daytime shots look pretty good, but it just kept going back and forth in quality. High def didn't do Clark Cable any favors. He really was an old dude and it is sad to think of him dying after this.

Still, you forgive that. Why, because the film is EXCELLENT. I don't care what critics say, it is a well done movie. There is a kind of dance between the 3 characters making you jump in and out of their corner depending on their actions. While Marilyn seems very tired she still pulls off the character nicely. I know that she was a big animal lover and I think her playing in the movie was a good move. While the horses were treated a little rough, sometimes I wonder if it is better for the greater good. The message of the film was a nice one, and it really was a change in attitude. I think all people should watch her movies in chrono.

Of course now we get to Somethings Got to Give. I highly recommend buying the Final Days and then watching the end part first where they re-assemble the footage. It isn't very coherent, but it is a nice ending to all of this. Now I say "nice" loosely. It is only for the sake of being complete. Marilyn while record skinny, to me, looked very sick. I don't like seeing her that thin. Her performance is uneven and it really is hard to watch sometimes. Yet when it is great, it makes you even more sad. Her specific scene with the children is really wonderful and you can just imagine that happiness she would have that may have fit a void in her life. Or maybe like her mom...maybe not.

The actual footage sucks on the DVD because it is non-anamorphic. I hope this is one day fixed on bluray. I would happily re-buy any of these movies in high def, but for now I treat the DVD's as place holders.

To round this all out, I obtained a pressed copy of the "The Legend of Marilyn Monroe" that is uncut. It was in rough shape, but at least it is complete. The DVD is called "Marilyn Monroe at the Movies" and in addition to the wonderful documentary narrated by John Huston, it also has a lot of great extras. I hear that this is often printed on DVD-R, so watch out.

This documentary is pretty cool because you see her mom. It is pretty droll in places, but it still covers the facts. I was wanting to experience it like the documentary on Elvis (This is Elvis), but honestly, I think the movies are enough. Her mom was a big part of it though, and for that, I am glad I saw it. Marilyn's interviews are pretty good too. I recently obtained her first appearance on TV on the Jack Benny show, so considering her official appearances, I really am getting close to having all the interesting stuff she did.

The final thing I watched is "the Final Days" started from the beginning. This is a much more rewarding documentary. I think it covers her final issues much better and does so with more personality. YET, I get pissed when I think of her final phone call to Peter Lawford and her dumb ass housekeeper not checking in on her. I mean seriously if someone is reporting her slurring her words and becoming so incoherent couldn't you at least go in and look at her or pound on the frickin' door??? Instead she saw a light and a phone cord and just assumed she was ok. STUPID, and now she is dead.

Marilyn's death is her own fault, but like a lyric from Guns N Roses "Nobody pulled the trigger, they just stepped aside".

Well anyway it is official. Now that I have watched all this material I have went from a huge fan to an all out fanatic over her work. Like Phillip Seymore Hoffman of late. The passing of someone young because of drugs is a sad pitiful waste. The world will never know what she would have become and the naysayers will talk their crap claiming she can't act or was fake or any other thing they dream up because they haven't lived such a dream.

When I heard her say that to achieve being a good actress means that you may not always be on top...well that made me stop and listen. (I remember Bruce Lee talking about not wanting to be a "Star" either...he wanted to be a great actor). Like Martin Sheen said about Elvis...stars that shine so bright so fast get so far up there that you get a sunburn man... Being an artist is taking risks and thus taking falls. Marilyn was willing to do that, but unfortunately like a lot of other great artists..to get to that emotional place, it often is too hard to handle.

Coming from a crazy mom sure didn't help her.

(ok it is halftime, so I am outta here for now!)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America