Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #1581
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks------------------->85 SteelBooks™-------------->101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJulien View Post
Honestly, watching this movie last week made me feel like a little kid again watching stuff like Back to the Future or E.T.

Going to sound super cheesy, but outside of really liking it, one of my motivations for getting it was to hold on to a movie like this for my future kids to see.
I felt it was a reminiscent of The Goonies with some added sci-fi. I loved it for sure.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1582
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmEntertainment View Post
Walmart.com is still selling Super 8 Blu-ray Combo Pack for $5.96.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17038194
Ditto Amazon.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #1583
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I felt it was a reminiscent of The Goonies with some added sci-fi. I loved it for sure.
I'd have to disagree on The Goonies comparison: that film was very "goofy" (the MAD/Cracked parody was in fact "The Goofies"), while Super 8 had a lot of humor I'd say overall it was very serious in tone, comparable to something like Stand By Me.

No killer monsters or dead/mourning/alcoholic parents in The Goonies after all.

Love this film.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #1584
Expert Member

Oct 2012
California

This movie really reminded me of E.T. more than anything else. It had some Goonies elements but the tone, the main kid, the score, the bikes, lol... it was pure E.T. inspired stuff.

Even the final shot of the kid staring into the sky as the space-ship flies away and the look of awe in his face as his hair blows in the wind was the exact same shot as the ending of E.T.

I loved it though... even though i didn't grow up in the 80s... I could feel the nostalgia dripping off this thing. One of the best blockbusters to come out in a while.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #1585
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
This movie really reminded me of E.T. more than anything else. It had some Goonies elements but the tone, the main kid, the score, the bikes, lol... it was pure E.T. inspired stuff.

Even the final shot of the kid staring into the sky as the space-ship flies away and the look of awe in his face as his hair blows in the wind was the exact same shot as the ending of E.T.

I loved it though... even though i didn't grow up in the 80s... I could feel the nostalgia dripping off this thing. One of the best blockbusters to come out in a while.
I grew up in the 90s, but my parents owned a lot of 80s movies on VHS so I grew up with a lot of those movies.
Top 10 Favorite Films: 1) The Truman Show, 2) 12 Angry Men, 3) Jackie Brown, 4) 25th Hour, 5) Princess Mononoke, 6) The Godfather,
7) Pulp Fiction, 8) Back to the Future, 9) Blade Runner, 10) The Lord of the Rings

"If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #1586
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

one of my favorite blu's ever.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #1587
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Normally I don't care about slips, but I really liked this one, and my Amazon order didn't include it. Is one able to get a slip by emailing Amazon, or would I have to send the whole thing back?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1588
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

They gave me a $2 refund. For $3.96 total, I can live without the slipcover.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #1589
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
They gave me a $2 refund. For $3.96 total, I can live without the slipcover.
Lets see...slipcover or saving some buck$?

Duh?
Sharp Aquos 80" LED 3D HDTV
Sony BDP-S790 3D Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-NR5010 9.2 Channel Network Receiver
Tekton Pendragon Tower Speaker x 2
Tekton Pendragon Center Speaker
Tekton Pendragon Monitor Speaker x 4
SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer x 6
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #1590
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by West E View Post
one of my favorite blu's ever.
One of the best demo scenes of all time.
Sharp Aquos 80" LED 3D HDTV
Sony BDP-S790 3D Blu-Ray Player
Onkyo TX-NR5010 9.2 Channel Network Receiver
Tekton Pendragon Tower Speaker x 2
Tekton Pendragon Center Speaker
Tekton Pendragon Monitor Speaker x 4
SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer x 6
Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #1591
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

This is just such an 80s film in every sense that I almost consider it one. Has some of the seriousness and real emotions that Stand By Me has, some of the sci-fi fun of E.T. I don't know where it stands toe to toe with those films but for me it's right up there as far as "which 80s film should I watch tonight?"

Great actors (loved every kid actor in this), great score, and a great mix of humor, sadness, and excitement.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #1592
Special Member

Dec 2008

Top notch film. Was a blind buy for me and I was thrilled when I watched it
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #1593
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I have to pick this up on blu ray.
Currently: Playing:Battlefield 4/ Ryse Son of Rome/ Dead Rising 3/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1594
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukraj View Post
I have to pick this up on blu ray.
You can pick it up with Shutter Island at play for £9.99,due out on the 17th of this month http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/3...ngDetails.html
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #1595
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle
Default Wow!

What a great Movie! I liked it much more the second time and I have only seen it once in the theater.

Just picked up this blu today with a price match at Target matching Amazon 14.96

ThePQ/AQ were incredible even more so on the audio.
[Show spoiler]The train wreck scene that starts it all
is reference AQ material for sure. This movie also mirrors my age meaning I was their same exact age at that same exact time in 1979.

Lens Flare!
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 03-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1596

Feb 2014

Saw Super 8 for the first time a while back, and was quite impressed:

Though the winter opening was quite sad & depressing, I liked how it quickly flash-forwarded four months later to a more hopeful time, i.e. the last day day of school & the beginning of summer, all super-imposed over the sound of ELO's Don't Bring me Down - this really established the strong late '70's vibe/tone, and the rest of the film was also spot-on in this regard re: the clothes, hair-styles, music, etc. I myself grew up in the early '80's, and this film very accurately reminded me of that time period, especially how I & friends felt on the last day of school with the whole summer before us.

As has been said, this film strongly reminded me of movies that I saw as a kid in the '80's, i.e. "Goonies", "E.T.", "Stand by Me", and to some extent even "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"; while at the same time, "Super 8" was in many ways better than any of those other movies.

I liked the "movie within the movie"; i.e., the filming of the amateurish zombie film was very clever. Also enjoyed the seeing the poster of the original Halloween (1978) on the kid film director's wall. And, I liked how the naming of the "Romero Chemical Company" was obviously an homage to G.C. Romero, who directed the original late '60's classic Night of the Living Dead - very nice!

It was a great idea to cast largely unknowns as the kids, so when watching the film you wouldn't have any preconceived ideas about them, and thereby could really buy into the late '70's setting.

The train crash was truly spectacular, and is probably the most impressive train crash I've even seen on film; in fact, I found this superior to the the one in 1993's The Fugitive (which was, for that time period, very impressive as well).

The scene when the main character & the E. Fanning character were watching the film with him (as a baby) and his mother was very touching.

[Show spoiler]The Monster was amazing - great design, which was both creepy & well-done. When I first saw the film, I actually thought it was supposed to be a prequel to J.J.'s previous film Cloverfield (which I thought was great as well) since the monsters looked similar, but later read that this was just a coincidence.

Excellent ending, i.e. the Monster "building a model" space-ship using the metal in the town.

Great closing credits w/fantastic music & visuals - instead of just having the credits themselves, the credits started with Don't Bring Me Down, then showed the complete amateur zombie film, then finished up with My Sharona, which the kids had been singing earlier in the film - brilliant!

All in all, an incredible experience.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 03-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #1597
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Saw Super 8 for the first time a while back, and was quite impressed:

Though the winter opening was quite sad & depressing, I liked how it quickly flash-forwarded four months later to a more hopeful time, i.e. the last day day of school & the beginning of summer, all super-imposed over the sound of ELO's Don't Bring me Down - this really established the strong late '70's vibe/tone, and the rest of the film was also spot-on in this regard re: the clothes, hair-styles, music, etc. I myself grew up in the early '80's, and this film very accurately reminded me of that time period, especially how I & friends felt on the last day of school with the whole summer before us.

As has been said, this film strongly reminded me of movies that I saw as a kid in the '80's, i.e. "Goonies", "E.T.", "Stand by Me", and to some extent even "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"; while at the same time, "Super 8" was in many ways better than any of those other movies.

I liked the "movie within the movie"; i.e., the filming of the amateurish zombie film was very clever. Also enjoyed the seeing the poster of the original Halloween (1978) on the kid film director's wall. And, I liked how the naming of the "Romero Chemical Company" was obviously an homage to G.C. Romero, who directed the original late '60's classic Night of the Living Dead - very nice!

It was a great idea to cast largely unknowns as the kids, so when watching the film you wouldn't have any preconceived ideas about them, and thereby could really buy into the late '70's setting.

The train crash was truly spectacular, and is probably the most impressive train crash I've even seen on film; in fact, I found this superior to the the one in 1993's The Fugitive (which was, for that time period, very impressive as well).

The scene when the main character & the E. Fanning character were watching the film with him (as a baby) and his mother was very touching.

[Show spoiler]The Monster was amazing - great design, which was both creepy & well-done. When I first saw the film, I actually thought it was supposed to be a prequel to J.J.'s previous film Cloverfield (which I thought was great as well) since the monsters looked similar, but later read that this was just a coincidence.

Excellent ending, i.e. the Monster "building a model" space-ship using the metal in the town.

Great closing credits w/fantastic music & visuals - instead of just having the credits themselves, the credits started with Don't Bring Me Down, then showed the complete amateur zombie film, then finished up with My Sharona, which the kids had been singing earlier in the film - brilliant!

All in all, an incredible experience.
The train crash was truly spectacular, though purposefully over-the-top. I always thought the train-crash sequence in Under Siege 2 was pretty awesome, other than an awful blue-screen shot inserted in the middle of it all involving a villain hanging on for dear life over a chasm. But this was far, far better.

I remember hearing when this came out that there was some footage actually trimmed from the train sequence, and that originally it was even longer with more destruction. Has that footage ever been released? Is it on the blu-ray anywhere?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America