Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #3121
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post

I had been hoping for individual editions of these movies in the wake of the Man of Steel movie release, but, since that did not happen, I'm not holding my breath for those releases. Now that I have the box set, though, individual releases will probably be announced tomorrow.
And we all thank you in advance for that.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #3122
Expert Member

Oct 2013
a desert

Is there any hope for WB to release the first four superman movies as a 4 disc set like how the batman and the lethal weapon movies are?

[Show spoiler]image.jpg
Aldo Raine: Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a *frick* about him. They need you.
Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Trade thread/ wants: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=233331
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #3123

Sep 2013
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
For me, that one can stay in Target.
I will NEVER own that movie.
MoS?
More like PoS!
Totally agree. I have been saying that since i saw it in the IMAX theater and then at home in 3D. I gave that film the best treatment possible, but it is just a pile of garbage. I recently re-watched Superman Returns after a long break and after seeing MOS, Superman Returns was much more enjoyable to me. At least that film offered a decent story and paid some homage to the 1980's movies. Man of Steel just came off like it was the greatest film ever when in reality it makes Superman IV look like a classic.
You got a good reputation. But if I was you, I'd have located in the next county.

Last edited by Win Slow; 04-21-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #3124

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win Slow View Post
Totally agree. I have been saying that since i saw it in the IMAX theater and then at home in 3D. I gave that film the best treatment possible, but it is just a pile of garbage. I recently re-watched Superman Returns after a long break and after seeing MOS, Superman Returns was much more enjoyable to me. At least that film offered a decent story and paid some homage to the 1980's movies. Man of Steel just came off like it was the greatest film ever when in reality it makes Superman IV look like a classic.
It certainly has some problems but you're way in the minority on that one. Superman Returns was a pile of garbage. As off as Pa Kent was in MoS, having Suoercreep listen in on Lois near the end was inexcusable. Not to mention there wasn't a lunch thrown by him in the entire film. And yeah, Nuclear Man.... Right!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #3125

May 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Steve Lilley

He's really not in the minority. I also like that quite a bit. Critics did, too - it was one of the best reviewed movies of that year. I think it was like the 13th highest reviewed major release or something to that effect. It's not the disaster that people claim it is. It didn't light the world on fire, but it wasn't universally hated. It also didn't lose anyone any money - it just didn't really make anyone any money, either.

And I can't believe people are still on about him overhearing Lois and Richard's conversation, ha I've said it before and I'll say it again - for a person to believe you're supposed to take away from that scene that Superman is a creepy weirdo, you have to willfully ignore the fact that the rest of the movie is so amazingly earnest, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. That movie doesn't have a cynical bone in its body.

People also don't seem to care that that wasn't even the first time he listened in on people in that movie at that point. He listens in on Lois and Richard in the Daily Planet and also to essentially the entire east coast at one point.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #3126
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
It certainly has some problems but you're way in the minority on that one. Superman Returns was a pile of garbage. As off as Pa Kent was in MoS, having Suoercreep listen in on Lois near the end was inexcusable. Not to mention there wasn't a lunch thrown by him in the entire film. And yeah, Nuclear Man.... Right!
It appears that your concept of "minority" may be a bit off the mark on this one. Count me as part of said growing minority.

MOS was definitely a POS. Superman Returns, aside from that 1 eavesdropping scene, has 1000x more Superman greatness in it than MOS does... even though Superman throws a bunch of punches in MOS.

That's what gets me most about the MOS popularity. Everyone says it's so amazing because Superman is wildly violent in it. To me, the best thing about Superman is his ability to not have to use such violence as his first/only resort.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 04-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #3127

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I've posted a few times before that I was holding out for an individual release of the original theatrical version of Superman II.

I broke down today, though.

I saw a mint-condition copy of this Superman Motion Picture Anthology Blu-ray set for $40 at a used store earlier today when I was on the way home from visiting family for Easter. I pulled the trigger on the set for that price.

In all fairness, the only reason why I held off on buying this set was because I do not care for Superman Returns. I'm sucking it up, though, because I love both versions of Superman: The Movie, I really want the theatrical cut of Superman II, and, in all honesty, the 1980s kid in me is occasionally nostalgic for Superman III and Superman IV.

I had been hoping for individual editions of these movies in the wake of the Man of Steel movie release, but, since that did not happen, I'm not holding my breath for those releases. Now that I have the box set, though, individual releases will probably be announced tomorrow.

I'm going to enjoy going through these over a rainy weekend in the near future.

The first four Superman movies are all in good fun. I was underwhelmed by Superman Returns when I saw it in the theater years ago, but I'll simply regard it as a "fan fiction" story.

I've been on the fence buying this set as well for pretty much the same reasons you stated in your post, I had hoped their would be individual releases for each of the films. I don't really care for Superman Returns, although I consider it now to be vastly superior to Man of Steel for a plethora of reasons, but still not something I would really watch. Superman III and IV while not great films, bordering somewhere between awful and good are rewatchable mainly for nostalgic reasoning, though again not as often as the first two films.

Man of Steel will likely never be part of my collection, and I was surprised to hear that they were making a sequel considering it made slightly better then it's budget back theatrically here in the US. Discussions regarding the film and it's characterization of the beloved icon have been rather heated and often unpleasant, with two distinct camps; those who love the new film, and those that despise it with every bone in their bodies. Although there are a few middle-grounders who thought the film was ok, they seem to number far fewer and appear to be much less vocal on the film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
superman