Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Intern (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The X-Files: The Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$208.90
3-D Rarities (Blu-ray)
$24.58
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Freaks and Geeks (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Rage of Honor (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Goosebumps (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Kill the Messenger (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 AM   #1261

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
To be fair I haven't watched them since getting a bigger TV, so maybe they're not 5/5 PQ anymore, but they are certainly good looking enough to still satisfy, I expect.
I remember thinking Blu-rays like The Dark Knight and Pulp Fiction looked great when I was watching them on my old TV, then when I got a bigger one I couldn't believe how unimpressive they were, and in the case of The Dark Knight, absolutely horrendous.

I've watched Kill Bill on my newer TV and the Blu-rays do hold up but it does have that dated master look and maybe the contrast is a bit too high in places.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #1262
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I thought Pulp Fiction looked fabulous. It's soft in the way that photochemical anamorphic finishes usually are, but it's no less gorgeous for it. [Geoff reads his old review] Ah yes, there was a tiny lick of EE and some filmic instability but apart from that it's luvverly.

Last edited by Geoff D; 01-05-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:00 AM   #1263
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
tennessee

i got the dvds and want to do bluray but i'm thinking about doing double feature instead
Old 01-05-2016, 01:11 AM   #1264
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I thought Pulp Fiction looked fabulous. It's soft in the way that photochemical anamorphic finishes usually are, but it's no less gorgeous for it. [Geoff reads his old review] Ah yes, there was a tiny lick of EE and some filmic instability but apart from that it's luvverly.
I thought it looked good aside from that tiny lick of EE and sometimes I thought there might have been a dash of filtering applied. I realize anamorphic can sometimes give a little of this look, but I was just looking closely at the screencaps and it seems a little something was done. I actually thought Jackie Brown looked a bit more film-like (although it too seemed to have a tiny hair of EE). But, I have no real complaints about these two.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Thanks given by:
JohnCarpenterFan (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 AM   #1265

Jun 2015

Quote:
There are Blu-rays out there which I believe are from the same master without pre-color correcting and fixed contrast and they just look horrible. The EE is there in every frame and it's still there in the US disc but it's less noticeable because the colors in the US disc draws attention away from the halos. It's like what Criterion did to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

It could definitely look a lot better. I have some 35mm material of Pulp Fiction and it looks stunning. I will say though that the colors on the Blu-ray are pretty accurate but there is still some annoying EE and slight DNR which makes some scenes look too digital.

I think Lionsgate/Miramax did a much better job on Jackie Brown.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #1266
Blu-ray Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
I thought it looked good aside from that tiny lick of EE and sometimes I thought there might have been a dash of filtering applied. I realize anamorphic can sometimes give a little of this look, but I was just looking closely at the screencaps and it seems a little something was done. I actually thought Jackie Brown looked a bit more film-like (although it too seemed to have a tiny hair of EE). But, I have no real complaints about these two.
Jeez, that's not a dash, it's barely a hint of a tad of a smidgen. I'd gladly hand over my King Of NitPickers '95 crown to the person who could tell those two encodes apart in motion from their regular seating distance.

When it comes to anamorphic I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt re: softness (I know you weren't convinced about Matchstick Men either), my mind doesn't automatically think it's been fudged with. A much more recent example would be Rogue Nation, it's 35mm anamorphic and there's plenty of in-camera softness throughout which I caught in the cinema and at home.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 AM   #1267
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Jeez, that's not a dash, it's barely a hint of a tad of a smidgen. I'd gladly hand over my King Of NitPickers '95 crown to the person who could tell those two encodes apart in motion from their regular seating distance.

When it comes to anamorphic I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt re: softness (I know you weren't convinced about Matchstick Men either), my mind doesn't automatically think it's been fudged with. A much more recent example would be Rogue Nation, it's 35mm anamorphic and there's plenty of in-camera softness throughout which I caught in the cinema and at home.
Oh, I didn't mean to illustrate any meaningful difference between the two encodes - I was just using that shot to illustrate the lack of film grain structure. I do get now how 35mm anamorphic can be soft, but there's hardly any grain there which led me to be a little suspicious. Even more was visible on Matchstick Men although, of course, specific film type, settings, etc. can effect that.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-980, BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon 7.1 AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 55 (fronts)
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 01-10-2016, 01:01 AM   #1268

Nov 2014
England

Does anyone have the boxset of Vol 1 and 2 that's currently on Amazon UK for £8.99? If so is it just the two regular releases in a sleeve? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #1269
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMarsh View Post
Does anyone have the boxset of Vol 1 and 2 that's currently on Amazon UK for £8.99? If so is it just the two regular releases in a sleeve? Thanks.
Based on the pictures from this eBay listing, it looks like the Amazon UK box you mentioned is as you suspected.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection | My PS3 Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony CECH-4301C (PS3) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)
Old 01-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #1270
Expert Member

Dec 2012

does anyone know the sku for the kill bill vol 1 steelbook for best buy, i cant find it online

Last edited by sneakersislife; 01-12-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 PM   #1271

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to illustrate any meaningful difference between the two encodes - I was just using that shot to illustrate the lack of film grain structure. I do get now how 35mm anamorphic can be soft, but there's hardly any grain there which led me to be a little suspicious. Even more was visible on Matchstick Men although, of course, specific film type, settings, etc. can effect that.
It was shot anamorphic on 50D. A new high quality scan might reveal a bit more obvious grain structure but it would still be very grainless film.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #1272
Blu-ray Baron

May 2010
NYC

Kill Bill 1 and 2 w/ UV are in the database now. Cover art should be updated soon.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America