COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mud (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #41
Blu-ray reviewer

May 2011
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
Hooray for the most belated review!
Not even close.
An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.Jef Mallett, Frazz

Frankly, Im suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue. Scott Adams, Dilbert
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #42
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

I don't know much about the movie, but I love how much supplemental material this comes with. Will definitely add to my wishlist.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #43
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Broadway Melody (1929) (DVD), the first talking musical and first sound film to win an Oscar, has a lot of vaudeville shorts as an extra feature. I am curious about how the shorts of Jazz Singer overlap or are the same. Both movies are from WB on home video, even though MGM produced the 1929 film.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #44
Special Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Broadway Melody (1929) (DVD), the first talking musical and first sound film to win an Oscar, has a lot of vaudeville shorts as an extra feature. I am curious about how the shorts of Jazz Singer overlap or are the same. Both movies are from WB on home video, even though MGM produced the 1929 film.
The bonus disc 3 DVD in THE JAZZ SINGER set (identical bonus DVDs for both the DVD and Blu-ray sets) has two dozen Warner Bros. Vitaphone shorts mostly about 8-10 minutes each. The bonus shorts on DVD of THE BROADWAY MELODY has a half-dozen MGM Metrotone shorts that are mostly 14-20 minutes with one that's about 8 minutes.

It would be great to see all the shorts remastered in HD for Blu-ray (not to mention THE BROADWAY MELODY and any number of other classic musicals from the late 20s and early 30s. The only short in HD on the Blu-ray of THE JAZZ SINGER is the cartoon I LOVE TO SINGA. All the others included on the Blu-ray disc itself are the same SD transfers that were on the DVD, and all the bonuses are identical except that the Blu-ray has only the trailer to THE JAZZ SINGER instead of a trailer gallery of six Jolson movie trailers (I'd really love to see WONDERBAR make it to Blu-ray, easily the best of Jolson's films and a great Precode musical murder-mystery in its own right).
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #45
Special Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Assuming, as DetroitSquirrel mentioned, you mean the part with Jackie singing, the answer is no, it's not "fixed".

However, I never thought it was wrong. That is to say, I don't think it was intended to be one of the portions of synchronized audio that we get later with Jolson. I've always thought of that as just a section of ambient sound intended to give the impression of young Jackie singing. The true sychronized sound is used sparingly, apparently for scenes with Jolson himself.

That's just my thought. I think if that section was REALLY intended to be sync sound, Warner would have "fixed" it by now. I'm guessing that what you see and hear on the disc is likely the way it has always been (since 1927).
I know the sync for the young Jakie's songs are only approximate, since they were the same on my old laserdisc and 16mm prints I've seen. When I first got the DVD set of THE JAZZ SINGER, the second couple of reels or so, including the Jolson's first line "You ain't heard nothin' yet" and his rendition of "Toot-toot Tootsie" were roughly a half-second out of sync, which was incredibly annoying. The sync got better in the last half of the movie.

Since getting the Blu-ray, I took another look at the DVD for comparison (on a newer Blu-ray player), and now the DVD plays in perfect sync! I am thus now guessing it must be due to an authoring anomaly from Warner Brothers Video that is not compatible with all players. I've had exactly the same problem with several (but not all) of the Vitaphone shorts on the Warner Archives Vitaphone Shorts Collections, with some playing about a half-second to a second out of sync, some playing in slow motion, and some just freezing up on various brands of older players, but the exact same discs play perfectly on my newest Blu-ray player (a Sony, BTW).
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
A little bit of here....a little bit of there.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Velvet View Post
The bonus disc 3 DVD in THE JAZZ SINGER set (identical bonus DVDs for both the DVD and Blu-ray sets) has two dozen Warner Bros. Vitaphone shorts mostly about 8-10 minutes each. The bonus shorts on DVD of THE BROADWAY MELODY has a half-dozen MGM Metrotone shorts that are mostly 14-20 minutes with one that's about 8 minutes.

It would be great to see all the shorts remastered in HD for Blu-ray (not to mention THE BROADWAY MELODY and any number of other classic musicals from the late 20s and early 30s. The only short in HD on the Blu-ray of THE JAZZ SINGER is the cartoon I LOVE TO SINGA. All the others included on the Blu-ray disc itself are the same SD transfers that were on the DVD, and all the bonuses are identical except that the Blu-ray has only the trailer to THE JAZZ SINGER instead of a trailer gallery of six Jolson movie trailers (I'd really love to see WONDERBAR make it to Blu-ray, easily the best of Jolson's films and a great Precode musical murder-mystery in its own right).
Does anyone know if the UK steelbook of this has the extras on one disc? Amazon says 1 disc and I'm guessing that may be an error on their part? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

"We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold."
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #47
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by *PREACHER* View Post
Does anyone know if the UK steelbook of this has the extras on one disc? Amazon says 1 disc and I'm guessing that may be an error on their part? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

Was looking at the UK edition and thought they might have put the DVD extras on the Blu-ray disc (in SD), but don't know. Both the US & UK Blu-rays are spec'd at 25 GB, so maybe not, but specs are often wrong until someone with the disc(s) in hand takes the time to find out what's on them.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I have just started watching the Blu and I am surprised by the amount of restoration that has been done. I have the DVD set that came out a few years ago, and they touted THAT as "Painstakingly Restored and Remastered." But look at these sample differences I took pictures of and notice how abundant the vertical lines are in the DVD (what they called "painstakingly restored"):

(The top is the DVD and the bottom is the Blu-ray)

Closer photo of both:

Another scene:

Last edited by bluskies; 02-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #49

Jan 2008
New Orleans, LA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
The shorts on "The Jazz Singer" BR are not from "Broadway Melody." The are brought over from the "JazzS.." DVD release and are absolutely fascinating!! "Baby Rose Marie" has a shot--who was this vaudevillian child star?? Just the Rose Marie who later played "Sally" on the "Dick van Dyke Show." And George Burns and Gracie Allen, who became even more famous via their 1950s TV show, perform one of their vaudeville routines. All in all, the supplementary material here is as historically valid, if not more so, than "The Jazz Singer" itself. The feature looks just great on BR and Jolson really was the the theatrical powerhouse of legend! I gave my dvd set to a friend and happily ponied up for the BR set. I can't recommend it too highly!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Yes Warner did an awesome job with this blu. Cannot wait for the Gangster box set with Robinson, Cagney and Bogart.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"And use some of that cologne Gertrude got you for Christmas."
"Oh do I have to Mother, it smells like ether?"

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #51

Jan 2008
New Orleans, LA USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
Yes Warner did an awesome job with this blu. Cannot wait for the Gangster box set with Robinson, Cagney and Bogart.
I agree, Atreyu (love THAT film myself!), but I'm really disappointed that the Gangster box set will have only 4 of the 6 movies that are in the DVD set (which I own). I'm really sorry that "Angels With Dirty Faces" won't be on BR as I think it's a wonderful movie! But I can't wait to see "The Petrified Forest" on blu-ray!! One of my favorite films!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
New York

I have a question to people that own this. Normally I don't get "books" because the disc is in a cardboard slot, but when looking at the photo, there seems to be a plastic tray to hold the disc. Is this true? Can someone take pictures of how the discs look inside the book. If the discs are housed in plastic trays, I'll buy this.

I'm referring to this image
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #53
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I have a question to people that own this. Normally I don't get "books" because the disc is in a cardboard slot, but when looking at the photo, there seems to be a plastic tray to hold the disc. Is this true? Can someone take pictures of how the discs look inside the book. If the discs are housed in plastic trays, I'll buy this.

I'm referring to this image
[Show spoiler]
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
New York

Awesome, thanks. Looks great in the video.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #55
Special Member

May 2011
Parts Unknown
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I have a question to people that own this. Normally I don't get "books" because the disc is in a cardboard slot, but when looking at the photo, there seems to be a plastic tray to hold the disc.
None of the digibooks I have house their discs in a cardboard slot, I don't think.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Rocky, Shawshank Redemption, and Blade Runner all having plastic discholders. I own The Hustler as well but haven't opened that one yet.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #56

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
None of the digibooks I have house their discs in a cardboard slot, I don't think.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Rocky, Shawshank Redemption, and Blade Runner all having plastic discholders. I own The Hustler as well but haven't opened that one yet.
The 20th Century Fox digis have the cardboard slot. When you open The Hustler you will see. They house the discs well enough I suppose.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
jazz singer, jolson