Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old Today, 04:16 AM   #761
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
Yeah, uh, thanks JohnAV. I wasn't going to wait much longer, but that post makes me wonder what Yamaha will come up with down the road.

[Show spoiler]LOL
The way i look at it, we are at a transition time anyway, anything you buy now will be replaced with something that is better next model, has those optional immersive audio features built in, and has been tested with various shipping media both against upcoming 4k video and immersive audio standards.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Today)
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #762
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Blu dog, I respect your words and opinion here. I do not intend to get into a dust-up with you and hope we can avoid that. Our opinions on Dolby Atmos differ, but neither of us is right, at this moment in time.

I'm gonna leave this post with the immortal words of Henry Rollins: "Life is a fleeting blast. You gotta ride the f**k**g wild!"

No worries, I've had differences of opinion many times about money. And believe me, this is about money.

Sorry if my gallery is confusing - those pictures are around two years old, a lot of things have changed (Sony 79" and Salamander setup in the main theater, Kuro in the TV family room on that marble stand, new office setup, secondary TV room has the 70 RPTV, have to take new shots).

I see your odyssey with video and audio is full of cautionary tales, and listening to others is why I'm hesitant to "dive in" when a new mode of video or audio shows up. There are so many factors.

Generally, something nice is made, and released in a hurry to pay for the R&D to develop it. I started off as an engineer, and I get that concept. The first version may be nice, but it always can improve.

The problem is marketing, and bean-counting. Those guys will tell you whatever the new version has in it, it's "The Best Ever!" (which may be true if it's ground-breaking, but everything changes and gets better).

They'll sell you something that's already obsolescent, knowing something better is coming. The bean counters will phase releases of new products to get people to constantly upgrade, tossing older gear for new feature sets, over and over again.

Some segments of the consumer public are all about being on the crest of the wave, shedding money like dandruff to boast about getting the newest thing. In forums like this, I hate to think that it is the shills (remember them? The classic shill pushes his way to the front of the crowd at the center of town, and shouts to the snake oil salesman in front of his wagon, "Can't wait! Anybody who doesn't buy this stuff is really stupid! Greatest thing ever!") Shilling for a product is a very successful way to get a brief stampeded started, and kills rational thought. I hope there aren't any around here, I really do.

As an engineer, I want to see real product development. It's not here yet. The bean counters are demanding that whatever can be shipped, in whatever phase of development it is, be marketed immediately. I don't care how many engineers say, "Just give us six weeks! We'll have a prototype twice as fast at half the cost," the bean counters will shove them back in the lab, toss in a few cans of Spam so they don't starve to death, lock the door, and tell the marketers, "Just push what you got, ignore those guys," and so it goes.

I'm going to wait. We're not even in the middle of development, we're up at the front edge.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (Today)
Old Today, 03:49 PM   #763

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yeah, uh, thanks JohnAV. I wasn't going to wait much longer, but that post makes me wonder what Yamaha will come up with down the road.

[Show spoiler]LOL
You know Yamaha - the King of mainstream dsp...(Lexicon is King of high-end, ultra high-end ...they are their own animal ) is definitely coming out with something else!!!!!

Wait for it....I'm like this - I'd rather have the entire herd rather than just one cow
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, NAS with 6gb ram running NAS4Free and 12tb of storage, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; Today at 04:15 PM.
Old Today, 04:55 PM   #764
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

New model adds Dolby Atmos

"Marantz said it held off on installing HDCP 2.2 because it “does not want to compromise on the limited bandwidth and color capability of currently available HDCP 2.2 implementations.”

The HDCP 2.2 upgrade will require a hardware modification." - See more at:

http://www.twice.com/news/components....pqjqhUWP.dpuf
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (Today)
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #765
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Some segments of the consumer public are all about being on the crest of the wave, shedding money like dandruff to boast about getting the newest thing. In forums like this, I hate to think that it is the shills (remember them? The classic shill pushes his way to the front of the crowd at the center of town, and shouts to the snake oil salesman in front of his wagon, "Can't wait! Anybody who doesn't buy this stuff is really stupid! Greatest thing ever!") Shilling for a product is a very successful way to get a brief stampeded started, and kills rational thought. I hope there aren't any around here, I really do.
I haven't seen anyone like that here or on another forum that I read, but don't really participate in. They're enthusiastic and willing to share tips, experiences, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
You know Yamaha - the King of mainstream dsp...(Lexicon is King of high-end, ultra high-end ...they are their own animal ) is definitely coming out with something else!!!!!

Wait for it....I'm like this - I'd rather have the entire herd rather than just one cow
I understand and agree somewhat. But I'm not going to wait overly long for that to happen. Luckily for us, there isn't a lot of software out there yet. If there was some killer movies in Atmos, the waiting would be almost unbearable for me.

My situation is this: my tv is four and a half years old and I'll be replacing it within a year to a year and a half, no later than that, and it will be replaced with a Sony 4K one. But the tv won't be where I watch most of my movies, it'll be in the living room. My projector is only 8 months old and won't be replaced for quite some time. This means HDCP 2.2 isn't a concern for me and waiting for it doesn't make a lot of sense.
I guess the only thing I should wait for, is to see if Yamaha will have Auro in the RX-A2050 (if thats what it'll be called). If it does, great! If it doesn't, I'm not waiting any longer. There should more, and better movies available by then and I will want to enjoy them.
The trouble with quotes from the internet is, you never know wether they were genuine or not - Abraham Lincoln
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #766
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post

"Marantz said it held off on installing HDCP 2.2 because it “does not want to compromise on the limited bandwidth and color capability of currently available HDCP 2.2 implementations.”

The HDCP 2.2 upgrade will require a hardware modification." - See more at:

http://www.twice.com/news/components....pqjqhUWP.dpuf
I like this. I hope other manufacturers do this too.
The trouble with quotes from the internet is, you never know wether they were genuine or not - Abraham Lincoln
Old Today, 06:08 PM   #767
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
I like this. I hope other manufacturers do this too.
I thought this was previously discussed but of all the 2015 models from Denon and Marantz, only the early 2015 $3000 Denon X7200 and $4000 Marantz AV8802 will offer a paid HW update to HDCP 2.2. No other models AFAIK from D&M will support HDCP 2.2. Wait till 2016 models is what you have to do if you want it all built in.

Last edited by JohnAV; Today at 06:14 PM.
Old Today, 06:11 PM   #768
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Note I already posted this info in this post with images!
Old Today, 06:15 PM   #769
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I thought this was previously discussed but of all the 2015 models from Denon and Marantz, only the early 2015 $3000 Denon X7200 and $4000 Marantz AV8802 will offer a HW update to HDCP 2.2. No other models AFAIK from D&M will support HDCP 2.2.
Yes, earlier in this thread, I believe.
I also recall that the specs weren't finalized yet. I'm gonna try to look around.
Good on Denon and Marantz to offer that though!
Old Today, 06:35 PM   #770
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

To me, it's another language:

http://www.digital-cp.com/hdcp_specifications

It's not going affect me for a while yet, but if others will be, they're welcome to try to interpret that. Unless there's a layman version somewhere else.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion