Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2008
Default Region b player vs region free player

Which do you think would be of better use to a us resident looking to import region locked blu rays

I have a ps3 for my USA purchased blu's
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2008

The region free would be from someone like 220 electronics and the b player would be from amazon uk pricing is the same

Mostly worried about firmware and stuff
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan1545d View Post
The region free would be from someone like 220 electronics and the b player would be from amazon uk pricing is the same

Mostly worried about firmware and stuff
I don't have either, but keep in mind that the US and UK (and most other Region B countries) operate on different electrical standards. You will probably need a step up/down voltage converter in order to operate a Region B Blu-Ray player with US electricity.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #4

May 2010
Canada

It is amazing to me how many people really over think this stuff. Unfortunately
if you live in the states multi region equipment is no where near as common place as it is in europe. In the States owning this stuff is comparable to
what prohibition was in the 30's. I own two region b players, one is an insignia
and the other is from a brand called Seiki. The combined cost of both was $100
it kills me when I see these websites overcharging for this stuff. I have a small
library of Region B blu's and I highly recommend it. To be able to watch films that are not even available in Region A and should be. Like The innocents, glenn gary glenn ross, Silent running. Do yourself a favor, check out Detroit Squirrels insignia posts and get yourself one, it will only cost you about $50 bucks.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
if you live in the states multi region equipment is no where near as common place as it is in europe. In the States owning this stuff is comparable to
what prohibition was in the 30's. I own two region b players, one is an insignia
it kills me when I see these websites overcharging for this stuff. I have a small
library of Region B blu's and I highly recommend it. To be able to watch films that are not even available in Region A and should be. Like The innocents, glenn gary glenn ross, Silent running. Do yourself a favor, check out Detroit Squirrels insignia posts and get yourself one, it will only cost you about $50 bucks.
I agree, dont get a UK player
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Who's overthinking? I made my existing player region free for less than $100, actually less than $50. No need for a cheap second player just for region B/C titles. And no worry about newer titles not playing because newer firmware can't be installed, on an insignia, unless you want to lose your region free capability

Last edited by rdodolak; 01-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #7

May 2010
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
Who's overthinking? I made my existing player region free for less than $100, actually less than $50. No need for a cheap second player just for region B/C titles. And no worry about newer titles not playing because newer firmware can't be installed, on an insignia, unless you want to lose your region free capability
So how was the comment I made directed at you personally? Why don't you
write a message enlightening people on how you accomplished the amazing feat.
I am guessing you purchased a mod kit and installed it yourself, good for you.
Personally myself I have never used a soldering gun, and would not be looking to go in that direction. That is why I specifically was looking to just purchase a player that would offer me a simple solution, by just changing the firmware and entering a code I have a cheap reliable Region B player for low cost. Also I have been collecting Region B titles for over a year, and I have never run into one single problem playing any of them. The danger with purchasing a modded player is if you change the firmware it can wipe out the Region free capability, the only way to fix it is to ship it back to where you
purchased it from. Not a very good prospect!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
So how was the comment I made directed at you personally? Why don't you write a message enlightening people on how you accomplished the amazing feat.
I am guessing you purchased a mod kit and installed it yourself, good for you.
Personally myself I have never used a soldering gun, and would not be looking to go in that direction. That is why I specifically was looking to just purchase a player that would offer me a simple solution, by just changing the firmware and entering a code I have a cheap reliable Region B player for low cost. Also I have been collecting Region B titles for over a year, and I have never run into one single problem playing any of them. The danger with purchasing a modded player is if you change the firmware it can wipe out the Region free capability, the only way to fix it is to ship it back to where you purchased it from. Not a very good prospect!
Roy, I was only half serious, and I never said your comment was directed specifically at me, but just because someone wants a region free mod doesn't mean they're overthinking the issue or that they'll necessarily pay more than it would cost to purchase another player.

As for me, my region free mod was the solderless variety and I happened to purchase it on eBay for less than what the seller was selling it for on their own web site.

In addition, I prefer to have as few pieces of equipment as possible in my setup. I already have plenty of items in my home theater and I didn't really want 2 or 3 players taking up additional space. Not to mention I only have so many HDMI ports available through my receiver. I'm sure there are others that would feel the same way as I do.

In terms of mods not working after a firmware update, well I suppose that can be a possibility in some cases, but in my experience I've never had a problem with that. Much like how some non-name brand players, such as the Insignia, can have their own problems even though they originally let region firmware firmware slip through. There have been more than a few cases where people reported experiencing issues with playing newer titles on the Insignia players. Insignia has since eliminated the region free hack in newer firmware. Some newer titles have required updated AACS keys and without a newer firmware load you won't be able to play those titles. In addition, the non-name brand players generally, but not always, have been extremely slow at providing firmware updates or not providing them at all. In cases where there is a disc/player compatibility issue that issue would most likely be fixed through updated firmware. However, if you can't update your firmware because the newer firmware removes the region free capability then that appears to be a problem.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders