Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Chimpanzee $13.99 (29% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Blu-ray)
$4.00
The Bamboo Saucer (Blu-ray)
$18.95
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fairy Tail: Part 7 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #61
Expert Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
Been sitting here patiently, waiting on a few studio related issues to be addressed and they haven't.

Huge fan of the movie and director.

This is the worst POS Blu-ray of 2012. DNRed to HELL. We're not talking about just scrubbing away the grain. Entire portions of the damn image are gone.

To top this garbage, the sound is horrendous. Image Entertainment has FALSELY advertised DTS-HD MA on the back of the cover and blatantly lied to us fans and gave us a pile of steaming trash DD at 192Kbps no less.

This is 100% fraud.

I'm contemplating on reporting these thieves and con artists to BBB. Anyone want to join?
Oh, the humanity!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #62

Mar 2011
OPKS

Can anyone tell me what the Digital Copy format is on Drafthouse Films titles? It's not advertised as iTunes or UV so I'm guessing it's MP4 or something like that?
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I finally got around to watching my Blu-ray of Wake in Fright earlier this evening.

The movie was fresh in my mind, because I saw it at an indie theater here in Atlanta late last year, and that first viewing really blew my mind. This movie has the same look on Blu-ray that it did in the theater, and, for that, I am quite pleased.

For me, Wake in Fright, like the original version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, is one of those movies for which a crystal-clear pristine video restoration would almost defeat the purpose. Watching the Blu-ray of Wake in Fright is almost like watching a Blu-ray through one of the dusty sand-covered windows of the derelict shacks featured in the movie itself. This will displease a lot of film aficionados for sure, but I, for one, am pleased that this movie was finally made available in a director-approved restoration for people in my generation to see at long last, even if it's a crude showing by the standards of today's videophiles.

This is one wild and crazy movie in so many ways, and everything about the film just shouts out, "This will not end well." Wake in Fright is not a horror film by conventional definitions, but it's an awe-inspiring horror story in my book.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 05-07-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #64
Special Member

Aug 2007
Singapore

Is the US or AU version uncut (114 minutes?)? thanks
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #65
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City
Default possible spoilers below

I watched this through Netflix last night, and I enjoyed it very much, though I found it very unsettling at the same time. It starts off very innocently enough, which only adds to what we see by the end. It was hard for me to figure out what kind of film I was watching. It definitely has a psychological horror vibe to it at times, but otherwise I guess it's a drama. It's the kind of movie that will make you feel delirious yourself by the end. Definitely worth checking out, though a fair warning, anyone sensitive to seeing animals being harmed should stay clear.

I also wonder if Kubrick watched this, as some of it reminded me a lot of the things I saw in The Shining. The montage of crazy imagery, the sparseness and pacing, and the cutting/editing especially.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #66
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

I might check this out on Netflix, heard so many great things about it.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
My Letterboxd
Old 02-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #67
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDawn View Post
I might check this out on Netflix, heard so many great things about it.
Like Martin Scorsese, this masterpiece has left me speechless. I can't believe I posted in this thread back in November 2013 that I was going to watch it then, and I only just saw it today.

I can't believe I waited that long; the depravity, the cinematography, the characters, the disturbing elements. Everything works.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
My Letterboxd
Old 03-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #68

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I finally got around to watching my Blu-ray of Wake in Fright earlier this evening.

The movie was fresh in my mind, because I saw it at an indie theater here in Atlanta late last year, and that first viewing really blew my mind. This movie has the same look on Blu-ray that it did in the theater, and, for that, I am quite pleased.

For me, Wake in Fright, like the original version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, is one of those movies for which a crystal-clear pristine video restoration would almost defeat the purpose. Watching the Blu-ray of Wake in Fright is almost like watching a Blu-ray through one of the dusty sand-covered windows of the derelict shacks featured in the movie itself. This will displease a lot of film aficionados for sure, but I, for one, am pleased that this movie was finally made available in a director-approved restoration for people in my generation to see at long last, even if it's a crude showing by the standards of today's videophiles.

This is one wild and crazy movie in so many ways, and everything about the film just shouts out, "This will not end well." Wake in Fright is not a horror film by conventional definitions, but it's an awe-inspiring horror story in my book.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I saw WIF for the first time last year & was floored at how powerful this was. Very disturbing & compelling story about someone who gets unwittingly involved in a situation that just goes from bad to worse...

Kudos & Thanks to those who bothered to take the time, effort, and money to locate & restore this film for the benefit of us who hadn't seen it (i.e., almost everyone). The film would not be available for viewing if not for this...

Also don't understand why anyone would complain about the PQ of this masterpiece; the film is over 40 years old and the print was in bad shape to begin with; we're lucky it was restored to the point that it's even watchable at all....

I'd also recommend the novel WIF. IMHO though this isn't quite as visceral as the film, it's still excellent & is the source material for the movie...
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #69
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Also don't understand why anyone would complain about the PQ of this masterpiece
Because it looks terrible
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 AM   #70

Nov 2009
Silver Spring, MD, USA

So... did this go out of print?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #71

Feb 2009
Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasimov View Post
So... did this go out of print?
Not sure, I had it ordered on Amazon with a few other movies, was getting tired on the wait for it to ship (ordered it over a week ago) and cancelled. Checked this website right after and saw that it looked like it might be out of print, damn!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #72

Nov 2009
Silver Spring, MD, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHas View Post
Not sure, I had it ordered on Amazon with a few other movies, was getting tired on the wait for it to ship (ordered it over a week ago) and cancelled. Checked this website right after and saw that it looked like it might be out of print, damn!
I ordered one from Walmart.com since it was apparently in stock (I'm waiting on a shipping notification). Not the cheapest but still cheaper than the Amazon.com marketplace prices.

Other big name online sellers are reporting it as out of stock so I won't be surprised if I end up getting a refund email.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #73

Nov 2009
Silver Spring, MD, USA

Well, Walmart shipped it so they apparently have it (or had it) in stock.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #74

Sep 2011

I rented this from my local library(they actually had the Blu-ray). It was interesting to see a piece of Australian film history(even thought it was directed by an American) that was almost lost forever. When it was over I thought to myself "well that was a little crazy, but I liked it" and man I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. I'm gonna have to try and pick it up.
"She's my.......cousin. She's from....France".
Old 04-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #75

Sep 2012

I think Drafthouse is just switching their distributors from Image to someone else - thus titles may dry up for a few weeks before they show up again. I noticed MIAMI CONNECTION was going through the same thing. But you can still buy them direct from Drafthouse's site:

http://drafthousefilms.com/film/wake-in-fright
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America