COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Poirot: The Final Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$125.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Blue Ruin (Blu-ray)
$17.99
South Park: The Complete Fifteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York
Default Shrek and Megamind promotional use blurays-Any different then the store releases?

Recently joined the 3D craze and noticed that Promotional use versions of Megamind and a 4 disc set of Shrek 3D films are available on ebay-Bunch being sold as new.Just curious if there is a difference in content or quality compared to the individual store releases.Appreciate the help and apologize in advance if this is a regurgitated topic thats been covered.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPWYANKEE View Post
Recently joined the 3D craze and noticed that Promotional use versions of Megamind and a 4 disc set of Shrek 3D films are available on ebay-Bunch being sold as new.Just curious if there is a difference in content or quality compared to the individual store releases.Appreciate the help and apologize in advance if this is a regurgitated topic thats been covered.
according to both reviews on this site the additional content is removed from the promo copies. the picture quality is identical to the retail release.
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzdawg View Post
according to both reviews on this site the additional content is removed from the promo copies. the picture quality is identical to the retail release.
Thanks-Fell into those reviews after i posted.Appreciate you at least answering so i didnt look like a schmuck.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Jan 2010

Be wary, though. The retail releases of those movies don't have special content on them either. The release consits of a 3D disc that may play in 2D (Recieving conflicting reports) and the DVD release. No bonus features on the BD. Even Monsters Vs Aliens loses B.O.B's Big Break on its retail release, while the promo and UK 3D release retains it (Consequently, the UK release of MvA 3D release only has DD audio, while the US retail release has TrueHD audio). The UK 3D Dreamworks releases also bundle their respective 2D release and locks the 3D disc to 3D playback only.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3Dfan View Post
Be wary, though. The retail releases of those movies don't have special content on them either. The release consits of a 3D disc that may play in 2D (Recieving conflicting reports) and the DVD release. No bonus features on the BD. Even Monsters Vs Aliens loses B.O.B's Big Break on its retail release, while the promo and UK 3D release retains it (Consequently, the UK release of MvA 3D release only has DD audio, while the US retail release has TrueHD audio). The UK 3D Dreamworks releases also bundle their respective 2D release and locks the 3D disc to 3D playback only.
Ahhh-Much appreciated.In that case ill probably buy the ones off the bay and keep my regular blurays for the added content and such.Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
One other major problem is that the PS3 adopted 3D after some of the first promotional disks came out, before compatibility became standard--
And while the new wide commercial disks of Avatar or Monsters vs. Aliens might play on a PS3, players might have problems with those ancient promotional disks. That's why it's better to buy new stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

The Megamind and Shrek 3D Samsung promo discs played perfectly on my PS3 (and the 2D versions are on the disc as well).
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
One other major problem is that the PS3 adopted 3D after some of the first promotional disks came out, before compatibility became standard--
And while the new wide commercial disks of Avatar or Monsters vs. Aliens might play on a PS3, players might have problems with those ancient promotional disks. That's why it's better to buy new stuff.
I dont have a PS3-Ive got 3 different Blu Ray players-Two of them are 3D players.Thats a real concern if the older ones wont play.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

Apr 2009
New Jersey

Quote:
I dont have a PS3-Ive got 3 different Blu Ray players-Two of them are 3D players.Thats a real concern if the older ones wont play.
I just tried my Shrek 3d in my older non-3d sony bluray player and it worked just fine. When played in my Panasonic it jumped right into the 3d version (my Coraline promo disk prompts me for which version I want to play).
Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
(360, PS3, Wii, Wii U)
Xbox One
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies