Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
The Transformers: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.69
The Paul Naschy Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Underworld: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (after you have seen it)
One Star 15 8.20%
Two Stars 27 14.75%
Three Stars 54 29.51%
Four Stars 67 36.61%
Five Stars 20 10.93%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM   #3441
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Klein View Post
Some people think you hate something because you criticize it.
I didn't even think of that, true. If people would listen to my rantings on Civil War you'd think I hate it, but I'm critical of certain story elements. Big whoop. Being a Yes Man ain't my thang, yo.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #3442
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2015
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I didn't even think of that, true. If people would listen to my rantings on Civil War you'd think I hate it, but I'm critical of certain story elements. Big whoop. Being a Yes Man ain't my thang, yo.
Being a yes man or ignoring glaring issues does more harm then good. It completely stops the growing process, plateauing it or making it go backwards.
Thanks given by:
Groot (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM   #3443
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
This film clearly shows no danger of aliens/space boarders/Jabba's men/Krall's ships/etc so their safety from other pods is justified how?
That's a fair enough question. Obviously it needed to be done for the story to work as they needed it to. But as a functioning reason, I'm not so sure why it would be necessary. Maybe there was an incident long ago on a company ship, resulting in rules like that which are always followed due to policy.

One thing people need to remember - we're always looking for logical reasons why people do things in films. But not everything in real life is logical. People make wrong choices all the time and do illogical things. This ship is company-owned. And as we all see, companies in real life make ridiculous blunders and mistakes all the time, causing embarrassment if they're lucky, or costing lost time, money, contracts, or even lives if it's a big enough mistake. So issues like only 1 med-pod may very well be a very bad idea, but perhaps this company made that choice out of financial reasons, regardless of whether it was the right choice to make. That ship was insanely expensive to build, I'm sure, and like all companies, I'm sure they cut corners in small ways to save money to make it happen. Perhaps those med-pods are insanely expensive, and cutting it down to 1 pod allowed them money for other areas to be focused on. Companies cut corners all the time, even when it puts others at risk.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM   #3444
Blu-ray Emperor

Aug 2011
Starship Avalon (You're My Shooting Star, You Make My Heart Ascend)

I guess every space movie needs Aliens or fear of Aliens. Even if there is zero mention of it made.
Biggest Jen fan here! Passengers is now out on BD! Mother out 10/13/17 & Red Sparrow 11/10/17

We got lost along the way, but we found each other. And we made a life. A beautiful life... together. - Aurora
Jennifer Lawrence Appreciation Thread
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #3445
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2010
Mania-bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Lawrence Fan View Post
I guess every space movie needs Aliens or fear of Aliens. Even if there is zero mention of it made.
I would've accepted multiple Arthur clones gone rogue as a major threat.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 AM   #3446
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Quote:
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM   #3447
Blu-ray Emperor

Aug 2011

OMG! Shared Space/Aliens Universe!

Where was the aliens at in the movie The Space Between Us? Unless technically you wanna call the kid born on Mars a Alien. Same goes for The Martian. Why didn't Matt Damon have any sweet Alien fight scenes?
Biggest Jen fan here! Passengers is now out on BD! Mother out 10/13/17 & Red Sparrow 11/10/17

We got lost along the way, but we found each other. And we made a life. A beautiful life... together. - Aurora
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #3448
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
The Netherlands

If this movie would've had some alien fight scenes it wouldn't be so dull.
Top 10: (1) Blade Runner (2) Aliens (3) The Thing '82 (4) The Shining (5) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (6) My Neigbor Totoro (7) Monty Python and The Holy Grail (8) Evil Dead 2 (9) Stalker (10) Avalon
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #3449
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
New York

The probability of intelligent life is low enough that the distance between civilizations exceeds what any civilization can travel. For example; by the time any alien species could reach us, we'd no longer be here. Even if there were dozens of advanced civilizations in our galaxy, the closest intelligent life form would be over 10,000 light years away. Therefore if we ever met extra terrestrials, they would be synthetic life forms; Artificial Intelligence designed by another species to explore the galaxy. Because only A.I. could survive the thousand years a journey through space would take. So if they met us, perhaps they'd tell us about their creators that have now long been extinct.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #3450
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
The probability of intelligent life is low enough that the distance between civilizations exceeds what any civilization can travel. For example; by the time any alien species could reach us, we'd no longer be here. Even if there were dozens of advanced civilizations in our galaxy, the closest intelligent life form would be over 10,000 light years away. Therefore if we ever met extra terrestrials, they would be synthetic life forms; Artificial Intelligence designed by another species to explore the galaxy. Because only A.I. could survive the thousand years a journey through space would take. So if they met us, perhaps they'd tell us about their creators that have now long been extinct.
That's depressing.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | (2016 Top 25) | 2017 Movie Ratings
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #3451
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
That's depressing.
They're out there, but you have to think of it this way (as an astronomer said):

Imagine fire flies in your backyard in summer. One blinks on and off here, and one blinks on and off there. Seldom do two ever blink on at the same time and location. Likewise, a civilization evolves in one part of the galaxy just as another becomes extinct. The possibility of two evolving within communication distance is extremely rare.

Not only that! But, if we build a colony of space craft and embarked on a journey to some distant civilization's planet, we would not only have to bring along all our vaccines for all our viruses, but, we would likely encounter many more deadly viruses on the way, killing off a good number of us while we experimented with many cultures to realize newer vaccines for our survival.

Then, upon encountering the new environment, we would have to take into account what viruses we carry would do to them and what viruses they have would do to us. It is too risky.
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #3452
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
They're out there, but you have to think of it this way (as an astronomer said):

Imagine fire flies in your backyard in summer. One blinks on and off here, and one blinks on and off there. Seldom do two ever blink on at the same time and location. Likewise, a civilization evolves in one part of the galaxy just as another becomes extinct. The possibility of two evolving within communication distance is extremely rare.

Not only that! But, if we build a colony of space craft and embarked on a journey to some distant civilization's planet, we would not only have to bring along all our vaccines for all our viruses, but, we would likely encounter many more deadly viruses on the way, killing off a good number of us while we experimented with many cultures to realize newer vaccines for our survival.

Then, upon encountering the new environment, we would have to take into account what viruses we carry would do to them and what viruses they have would do to us. It is too risky.
I don't think we know nearly enough about space to draw these conclusions yet. We've barely been out of our own back yard. We may discover that there is more intelligent life out there than we ever imagined. Or we may discover the opposite, and it is indeed very rare. I like to think that it's more abundant than we know - if intelligent life is this incredibly rare, and this is what we've chosen to do with it here on Earth with our own species, well...that's what I call depressing.

You're right that space is incredibly vast and even if one species were to discover another, travel between worlds would be a serious issue.
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #3453
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I don't think we know nearly enough about space to draw these conclusions yet. We've barely been out of our own back yard. We may discover that there is more intelligent life out there than we ever imagined. Or we may discover the opposite, and it is indeed very rare. I like to think that it's more abundant than we know - if intelligent life is this incredibly rare, and this is what we've chosen to do with it here on Earth with our own species, well...that's what I call depressing.

You're right that space is incredibly vast and even if one species were to discover another, travel between worlds would be a serious issue.
Yeah.
Think about it: 97% of the universe is empty. Blank. Nothing. Hence the term "space".

The best way to "meet" another intelligent life form would be not to meet physically.

Electronic communication would be better, less expensive and a better way to get to know someone. Not visitation.

Look how cautious we are about internet dating. We should be more cautious about knocking on another civilization's door.

I think anyone intelligent contemplating coming here would be just as cautious and would likely send an invitation to communicate in some way instead of wasting resources landing here or even coming close.
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #3454
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2008
Los Angeles

Hawking said it best re: visitation, in that any race capable of visiting us would be ridiculously more advanced, and would therefore probably realize that we're either A) not worth their time or B) easily destroyed. Which is terrifying. The prospect of contact with any ET is either sad or scary, there's no in-between haha
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | (2016 Top 25) | 2017 Movie Ratings
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #3455
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Hawking said it best re: visitation, in that any race capable of visiting us would be ridiculously more advanced, and would therefore probably realize that we're either A) not worth their time or B) easily destroyed. Which is terrifying. The prospect of contact with any ET is either sad or scary, there's no in-between haha
Yeah, that's why I don't believe any of those "UFO" sightings we've heard about for the last hundred years were ever intelligent life from another world. It's us. Testing.

When you consider that the technology that we possess today, such as the Internet itself, was created back in the 50s and 60s, you can imagine how advanced the present day secret technology at places such as DARPA or various underground bases truly is.

NASA has been a longtime cover and distraction from the real black budget space programs.

I guarantee 99% of the so-called “UFO” phenomena has nothing to do with aliens, but is precisely the advanced technology of this very secret program.

The “alien” nonsense functions as a media veil for these black projects, no doubt.

We're not being "visited"
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #3456

Jan 2013

Avoided seeing this in theaters because the trailers made it seem quite cheesy and generic, and I had never seen a project by the director before. The boyfriend and I watched the Blu-ray last night, and both absolutely loved it. I'm usually pretty lukewarm to Pratt and Lawrence, but thought they were both good here. The score, set design, plot and most of the visual effects were fantastic, imo. Can easily see myself re-watching this in the near future.
Thanks given by:
Jennifer Lawrence Fan (Yesterday)
Old Today, 02:37 AM   #3457
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Just finished watching.

Surprised how much I enjoyed it. I though the pacing was strong, the exposition was kept to a minimum by sci-fi standards, and the performances were sufficient to keep me in the story.

I thought they handled the ethical questions we've been discussing in this thread quite well all things considered.

There were a few points where I was validated in my earlier assertion that there are ways the writers wrote themselves into a corner and had to back track, but they weren't world-breaking.

Most impressive though was the art design. The sets, props, costumes, technology, etc. was all just perfect. The art director, John Collins (Hunger Games, The Accountant, Spectral) is a master and I really loved his vision. Everything felt really tactile and functional, while still aesthetically pleasing. I'd kill to have him design me a house or office, or to stay in a hotel he designed.

Overall 4/5
Ask me anything

Bigger Michael Bay Fan than Blu-Benny
Un fan de Luc Besson

Ultraviolet codes for sale
Disney DMA/DMR codes for sale
Thanks given by:
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #3458
Blu-ray Emperor

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
Just finished watching.

Surprised how much I enjoyed it. I though the pacing was strong, the exposition was kept to a minimum by sci-fi standards, and the performances were sufficient to keep me in the story.

I thought they handled the ethical questions we've been discussing in this thread quite well all things considered.

There were a few points where I was validated in my earlier assertion that there are ways the writers wrote themselves into a corner and had to back track, but they weren't world-breaking.

Most impressive though was the art design. The sets, props, costumes, technology, etc. was all just perfect. The art director, John Collins (Hunger Games, The Accountant, Spectral) is a master and I really loved his vision. Everything felt really tactile and functional, while still aesthetically pleasing. I'd kill to have him design me a house or office, or to stay in a hotel he designed.

Overall 4/5

What were some of your favorite scenes?

Old Today, 02:43 AM   #3459
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2015
Dallas, TX

Quote:

What were some of your favorite scenes?
swimming pool when the gravity went off. I was freaking out
Ask me anything

Bigger Michael Bay Fan than Blu-Benny
Un fan de Luc Besson

Ultraviolet codes for sale
Disney DMA/DMR codes for sale
Thanks given by:
Kristian Idol (Today)
Old Today, 02:48 AM   #3460
Blu-ray Emperor

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre08 View Post
swimming pool when the gravity went off. I was freaking out
yeah, I can only imagine that. Trying to swim and escape. But there is no way out.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies