Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #181
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

If anyone wants more cap matches just let me know. I'll leave the file on my drive for now just in case.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #182

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

I watched the first 3 over the weekend. I never owned the original blu-ray of the first, but I did have the DVD Attack Pack. I didn't think the video quality for the original film that bad. It was an improvement over the DVD, but it was obviously an old master. Grain was constant throughout and there were specs in the print. The DTS-HDMA 5.1 audio track was really good.

The second film looks very good and has a very solid DTS-HDMA 2.0 audio track. The third film also looks really good, but it's DTS-HDMA 5.1 track was very front heavy, and didn't really benefit from the 5.1 mix. The movie wasn't good, anyway.

I didn't get to the 4th film. I had only seen it one time years ago, when it first came out, and I remember hating it. But I remember liking the third film, and I found it to be pretty bad this time around.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #183
Special Member

Oct 2008
MD, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurd View Post
I watched the first 3 over the weekend. I never owned the original blu-ray of the first, but I did have the DVD Attack Pack. I didn't think the video quality for the original film that bad. It was an improvement over the DVD, but it was obviously an old master. Grain was constant throughout and there were specs in the print. The DTS-HDMA 5.1 audio track was really good.

The second film looks very good and has a very solid DTS-HDMA 2.0 audio track. The third film also looks really good, but it's DTS-HDMA 5.1 track was very front heavy, and didn't really benefit from the 5.1 mix. The movie wasn't good, anyway.

I didn't get to the 4th film. I had only seen it one time years ago, when it first came out, and I remember hating it. But I remember liking the third film, and I found it to be pretty bad this time around.

sounds good. I'll probably pick this up when it gets under $20. I really like the first and second ones. Can't remember if I saw the third one and never saw the forth.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #184
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurd View Post
I didn't think the video quality for the original film that bad. It was an improvement over the DVD, but it was obviously an old master. Grain was constant throughout and there were specs in the print. The DTS-HDMA 5.1 audio track was really good.
I'd have to agree, Ken.

I've just received this set and am watching the first film right now, and though I've never seen the original release on BD to compare it to, this doesn't seem to have the heavy DNR that people say the first one had. But it is clearly an old transfer; some shots look really solid, but then others especially long or wide shots look faded and quite grainy.

I wish they'd given it more headroom and a higher bitrate (it seems to hover around 15-20 Mbps), because there's a bit of aliasing crops up on mesh, on clothing, on signs, even on dirt and rocks.

Still, glad to have it on Blu, and in a considerably better transfer than I probably would have settled for.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #185

Jul 2010

Just got the Attack Pack today and I am very pleased. The transfer for the first film, while still not great, is a major improvement when compered to the first transfer. The three sequels look very good for their age as well. IMHO, I would give the first film a 3/5 for the video and the sequels get a 3.5/5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited by kiltymchaggis; 10-21-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #186
Power Member

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Universal's come very close to a grand slam on this one. Yes, the transfer of the first film is improved. Still antiquated, but much less tampered-with (surely this is the original HD-DVD transfer). The one stumble? Almost every single bonus extra migrated over from the DVD's Attack Pack, and they even went the extra step of including the voluminous extras from TREMORS 4: THE LEGEND BEGINS' s stand-alone DVD, but they inexplicably left off the trailers of TREMORS 2 and 3. So if you're obsessed with bonus features like I am, you'll have to keep the DVD set of the Attack Pack in order not to lose those two trailers.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #187
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Wait, what, the first film's gotten a new transfer without the DNR & EE?

Did Universal actually fix something for a change?

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 10-21-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #188
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Wait, what, the first film's gotten a new transfer without the DNR & EE?

Did Universal actually fix something for a change?
Temper your expectations--they haven't worked miracles, but they've at least gone back to what I believe is the original HD-DVD transfer, so the oppressive veneer of Vaseline DNR has been removed and grain has returned. There's still some EE present, but the picture overall looks much more natural than the original BD release.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #189
Power Member

Jul 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Temper your expectations--they haven't worked miracles, but they've at least gone back to what I believe is the original HD-DVD transfer, so the oppressive veneer of Vaseline DNR has been removed and grain has returned. There's still some EE present, but the picture overall looks much more natural than the original BD release.
Sorry I got a bit carried away lol.

I've just seen the screencaps and yeah they both look like they're from the same scan but the new release looks much better without all the digital smearing.

It went from a garbage transfer to a fairly decent one, it's not great but at least it's tolerable now.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #190
Expert Member

Apr 2010
Norway

I'm liking what I'm seeing in tyler's pics. It doesn't seem like there's much of a difference in pure detail, but it sure is a much more pleasing image to look at. At least it looks like something that came off a film reel, which is something. That DNR has got to go.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #191
Expert Member

Oct 2013
a desert

Didn't know this existed until today. Saw it at walmart for $30, will get it when it drops a little bit more
Aldo Raine: Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a *frick* about him. They need you.
Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Trade thread/ wants: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=233331
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #192
Power Member

Aug 2008
The Southland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenMan18 View Post
Didn't know this existed until today. Saw it at walmart for $30, will get it when it drops a little bit more
it dropped to $19.99.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #193
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

So I have to buy this set to get the best looking release of Tremors? I don't like the sequels at all.
"I'm going to destroy them." - John 'Breacher' Wharton - Sabotage (2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #194
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill_Be_Back View Post
So I have to buy this set to get the best looking release of Tremors? I don't like the sequels at all.
Yes, unless you wish to import from the UK.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #195

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Yes, unless you wish to import from the UK.
Is the UK single movie release different to the US one in some way?, I've had a look at some other countries releases of Tremors and they all seem to suffer from the same DNR as the US one
Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #196
Power Member

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlen1 View Post
Is the UK single movie release different to the US one in some way?, I've had a look at some other countries releases of Tremors and they all seem to suffer from the same DNR as the US one
That I don't know. I went with the U.S. Attack Pack.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #197
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Yeah, no guarantees on anything but the Attack Pack having the better transfer.
DVDTalk Blu-Ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-Rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | Letterboxd | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 AM   #198
Special Member

Aug 2009

I think I'll just keep my anamorphic, DVD Attack Pack.

My ratings of the 4 films:
1 3.5/4 very good
2 3/4 good
3 2/4 just OK
4 1.5/4 pretty bad

If they release a remastered stand alone 1st film, I may upgrade. I doubt they ever will.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #199

Jun 2013

I've never seen these films but at this price wouldn't mind blind-buying. What sort of film/series are these similar to?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #200
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Savannah GA

I kept reading the Attack Pack has the better transfer. I have to say this transfer sucked. It looks like it was transferred from a VHS. I can't see how the DNR transfer can be worse. Anyone want to trade discs only? I'll send you my Attack Pack tremors movie and you can send me your DNR version. First movie only.
Movies that need to go Blu. The Ref, Open Range, Life As A House, Great Outdoors, True Lies, Joe Dirt, Maximum Overdrive, Pool Hall Junkies, Brain Candy.

T.V. shows that need to go Blu Man Vs. Wild, Survivor Man, Dirty Jobs, NHL Winter Classic 2009.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America