Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Red Cliff Part I & II (Blu-ray)
$13.39
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.91
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
McLintock! (Blu-ray)
$10.20
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #21

Jul 2012
Smile

I did finally get the support channel to admit to me that there was a problem that R&D is aware of. It's absolutely sickening, though, that closing in on TWO MONTHS after release of the disc, they haven't issued a patch.

Of course, I had to convince the "support" person that I actually had a 3D TV, and that no, I do not need to adjust the refresh rate to 120 Hz in Windows to display 3D. Sigh.

So far, the eval version of TMT 5 has been impressive -- seems to have much superior WMC integration and better support for my remote. Too bad I've already dumped money into PowerDVD -- fell into the trap of the OEM to Ultra upgrade, since it came w/ the Blu-Ray drive in my system...

Which reminds me... their 3D Blu Ray Advisor app is utterly worthless. Doesn't even recognize that there's a Blu-Ray in the system, nor whether the Intel i5 2405S / HD3000 graphics support 3D -- hardware that's been out over a year. Ah well... Gotta get the gang together to watch John Carter before that eval period expires!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #22

Jul 2012

In case anyone else out there cares ... the Sept. 10 update to PowerDVD 12 DOES NOT seem to fix playback of this movie. Pathetic.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

This is all so odd about PowerDVD 12...

On PowerDVD 11 Ultra there is an issue with DVD's funnily enough. Sometimes (and I mean maybe one in a hundred), there is a problem where you can't see the main menu. Fortunately every disk that this has happened on has had "play" highlighted by default and I only had to hit enter to play them.

But as for Blu-rays and 3D BD, I have never had a problem. I have the US John Carter from Amazon and the only issue I have is the digital copy won't work in Australia. But the 3D plays fine in PowerDVD 11 Ultra, and the 2D works fine in the PS3...

I don't understand why ver. 12 is inferior, even after an update...
Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by intvsteve View Post
I've been trying to get the CyberLink support line to help on this, and it's been a horribly frustrating waste of time. ..............Anyone have experience with how long CyberLink has taken to address problems like this in the past?
Quote:
I'm trying to not slit my wrists while dealing with CyberLink's "support" with the John Carter 3D disc not playing in PowerDVD12.

Like other posters here, I have the newest drivers, firmware, software, et. al. installed. CyberLink's Blu-Ray advisor doesn't even recognize the fact that I have a Blu-Ray drive (Samsung SH-B123L), nor can it determine if the CPU / Graphics (Intel i5 2405S, HD3000 graphics on-die) are able to handle 3D BR.

Other than the John Carter disc, I've never had any problems w/ any Blu-Ray disc, 3D or not, and have had pretty much flawless playback, even using the built-in 2->3D conversion.
Quote:
In case anyone else out there cares ... the Sept. 10 update to PowerDVD 12 DOES NOT seem to fix playback of this movie. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post
This is all so odd about PowerDVD 12...

On PowerDVD 11 Ultra there is an issue with DVD's funnily enough. Sometimes (and I mean maybe one in a hundred), there is a problem where you can't see the main menu. Fortunately every disk that this has happened on has had "play" highlighted by default and I only had to hit enter to play them.

But as for Blu-rays and 3D BD, I have never had a problem. I have the US John Carter from Amazon and the only issue I have is the digital copy won't work in Australia. But the 3D plays fine in PowerDVD 11 Ultra, and the 2D works fine in the PS3...

I don't understand why ver. 12 is inferior, even after an update...
Finally! Found a procedure to allow PowerDVD 12 to play John Carter Blu-ray 3D!

Thanks goes to srinivas1015, who posted a similar problem with PowerDVD 11 and the "Marvel's The Avengers" Blu-ray 3D disc, and what he did to get the disc to finally play in 3D.

Found the same 2D procedure works when I try it with the "John Carter 3D" disc.

Procedure:
1)Turn off the 3D function in PowerDVD before you start playing the Blu-ray 3D disc
2)Play the blu-ray 3D. The menu will be in 2D.
3)Click 'play movie'.
4)Once it starts, turn on the 3D function in PowerDVD.

It will now play the movie in 3D!

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I'm glad you got it working! That's still a bit of messing around, but if it means you get to watch your movie, you must be happy!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #26

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

why are you guys even watching this in 3D on a pc or laptop ?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Why do you care?

The problem was playback, now it's fixed.

And intvsteve is using a 3DTV. He said that. Care to read the thread before posting?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #28
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
why are you guys even watching this in 3D on a pc or laptop ?
Have not experienced a better 3D experience on anything else.

My first preference choice for evaluating Full HD 1080P 3D resolution Blu-ray 3D encodes is on my F3D laptop. The display rendition is pristine. It produces razor sharp graphic renditions of particular 3D scenes that other people have described as soft or difficult to see in dark scenes on their displays.
It uses professional quality active 3D technology.
The laptop gives me optimum 3D depth for both native and converted films.
It is proficient and IMO, superior to the three other 3D displays I could use.

An alternative second choice would be my 65" Panasonic VT25.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

Last edited by Paul H; 10-02-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Does that use nVidia 3D Vision? I'm quite a fan of my set-up.

As is my wife, who complained about double imaging on our Sammy (when it worked). Bigger is better, and I can see a 3D projector in the future, but I have enjoyed MANY nights in front of the computer, with my wife, and a 3D movie!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #30
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Does that use nVidia 3D Vision? I'm quite a fan of my set-up.
Yes, the VAIO F 3D laptop uses nVidia’s 3D Vision technology, but instead of using nVidia’s own shutter glasses, Sony has opted out to use their proprietary professional Sony glasses, taking the best from both worlds with less "sun-glass" dimming effect than the nVidia glasses produce, and the combination is very noticeably effective; while refreshing @ a 240Hz Refresh-rate it also uses consecutive-image black-frame insertion to eliminate potential ghosting artifact problems and usually there is no noticeable flicker (minimal if any).
These glasses are the same quality that are used with the company’s professional quality BRAVIA 3D HDTVs, and the glasses are compatible for use with the professional Bravia 3D TV models interchangeably.

Paul

Last edited by Paul H; 10-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Yes, the VAIO F 3D laptop uses nVidia’s 3D Vision technology, but instead of using nVidia’s own shutter glasses, Sony has opted out to use their proprietary professional Sony glasses, taking the best from both worlds with less "sun-glass" dimming effect than the nVidia glasses produce, and the combination is very noticeably effective; while refreshing @ a 240Hz Refresh-rate it also uses consecutive-image black-frame insertion to eliminate potential ghosting artifact problems and usually there is no noticeable flicker (minimal if any).
These glasses are the same quality that are used with the company’s professional quality BRAVIA 3D HDTVs, and the glasses are compatible for use with the professional Bravia 3D TV models interchangeably.

Paul
Wow. Sounds great! Do you use it much for gaming? I'm less than impressed with gaming on mine, but the nVidia site does say my 440 is below the recommended hardware. Saving for upgrades currently, I plan to make a beast!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #32
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Wow. Sounds great! Do you use it much for gaming? I'm less than impressed with gaming on mine, but the nVidia site does say my 440 is below the recommended hardware. Saving for upgrades currently, I plan to make a beast!
Nice!

Don't use mine for gaming. I use it mostly for enjoying BD and BD 3D movies and I haven't found any other 3D BD player that is portable with its own Premium 3D display.

Great for movies but reviews call the Sandy Bridge NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M (1GB VRAM) dedicated graphics chipset as "modestly powered". If I wanted to play games I could but I don't.

Per a PC Pro review:
Quote:
this is perfectly capable of playing games in 2D, but switch to 3D mode, where the graphics card’s workload almost doubles, and modern games are only just playable. Even at low settings, Crysis struggled to maintain a smooth frame rate, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was barely playable even at 1,024 x 768 resolution and minimum detail.

Paul
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Yeah, I'm looking at at least a 670, alongside an i5/7 processor to get the most out of games. The kids use a PS3, but I prefer to sit close with my keyboard and mouse and get really involved in it.

Plus, I figure if I keep up the upgrades I can eventually by-pass the PS4 with a PC that blows it out of the water graphically. Upgrading is a beautiful thing, and the reason I went back to PC after years of Maccing.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #34

Jul 2012

If anyone elses solutions above don't work you could try what I did. It may sound silly, but it worked for me.

I simply booted my PC up and opened the movie in powerdvd as quickly as possible. The disc would load and the 3D would kick in like normal.

I was personally running powerdvd 9 and nvidia 3d vision at the time.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #35

Dec 2011

[QUOTE=3Dfan;6052022]So far, the only 3d titles I have had trouble with on my Sony bdp is 20th century fox titles, and I recently found out reading other threads elsewhere other people with other brands of 3d bluray players also have trouble with only the 20th century fox titles when trying to play them.

They take a very long time to load and won't play for them while every other 3D title they have from all the other companies work fine for them.

Count me as one of those having this problem. I have about 25 3D titles and they all play no problem except for 2-i, Robot and Avatar, both 20th Century Fox titles. Not all Fox titles suck for me, just the newer ones (Rio, Ice Ageawn of the Dinosaurs play fine).
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #36

Jul 2012

Sorry about the delay, but CyberLink finally did get this problem resolved. Amazingly, it was shortly after Avengers released. Fwiw I did try the 'start in 2d' mode, but that failed. According to the update notes, seems they had a problem with some of the newer integrated Intel graphics - which is what my htpc setup uses. (why buy more hardware than you need?)

Thanks for all the tips along the way!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies